Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loving Anteater - and a pet law issue

Loving Anteater - and a pet law issue

Pua Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5poe2T68t7A
    Bonding time with Pua. I can't believe the camera picked up the ad playing on my headphone! Part way through she is concerned of the car noise, sounds like a growling jaguar to her.

Now for a little public service announcement. A bill has been introduced into Congress that could have Pua ripped from her loving home and killed or if "lucky" placed in a zoo without a wash machine to sleep in or ketchup! We are talking about H.R. 669, a ban on nonnative species, bans import, breeding sale and ownership, grandfathers currently owned animals IF proof can be shown that they were owned before the law was enacted. Yes we have plenty of proof Pua has been here awhile but if we do get Pua a new mate before the law is passed and they happen to have a baby that would be a violation of the law and so they all could be taken.

Not convinced yet this is bad? Do you own anything that is not a domestic dog, cat or farm animal and is not native to the USA? If you do this will effect your animals.

All non-native species will have to be classified as safe or pottentialy invasive/dangerous. There are an estimated 10-100 million animal species. They will have 27 months to evaluate every species and list it as safe or banned. Everything not listed as safe or banned is to be treated as banned anyway. Will they forget to list hamsters as safe, can they prove that Sugar gliders aren't potentially invasive?

Here is more information. At the bottom is contact info for the members of the commity that will be hearing this on April 23rd. Email, fax and or call them all. Also inform your congressional representatives that you want them to vote no on this.

This could potentially cause the deaths of millions of exotic animals and devastate an industry that so far has been largely unaffected by the bad economy. All these exotic owners not only pay for the animals, buy supplies, food, vet care, gas to take them to the vet and get supplies, airline shipping charges, ect.

There is already a way for the government to deal with invasive species, things like mongooses are already banned based on enviornmental and invasive hazard. This bill bans everything that they don't decide to list as safe, that somehow must be proven as safe.

Alright then back to our usual programing

wake up Pua

Laundry day

Good evening, have a nice nap

She wanted to sleep in the bed instead of her hammock.

Nap time

Not quite ready to get up

Stealing a bathroom drink

She likes to visit all the water sources in the house, in case of drought she will know where to look.

Will do anything for cheese

Tongue action - you may need to look big

Are you looking at me?

Yawn

Yay, been awhile since I caught a yawn!

Have a nice nap
    Last edited by TamanduaGirl; 04-04-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: images not included

Oh no laundry day

Not sure how she sleeps upside down like that. Cleaning under the washer lid is part of laundry day though the outside gets cleaned daily while Pua sleeps.

So that covered about a week, from one laundry day to the next.

No need for ant traps at your house, eh?? Pua is beautiful! I'd love to know more about Pua, like how you cut his nails, what you feed him, is he neutered, etc. Tell me more!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Hi Pua! Long time no see! So funny to see you "enjoying" the washer machine, lol.

And a yawn, OMG, yes, I DID have to make the photo big to appreciate the full impact! WOWZERS!

Thanks also for taking the time to educate us on this bill pending in Congress.

I was wondering if it was "fall out" from the 200 pound chimp who killed the lady in Conn.

Ok, now that there is pretty cool. I have heard of other similar cases, but the owner/caretaker was grandfathered in since they had the animals before the law passed. Hope you get to keep your beloved pet if it does get passed at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    No need for ant traps at your house, eh?? Pua is beautiful! I'd love to know more about Pua, like how you cut his nails, what you feed him, is he neutered, etc. Tell me more!!!
    A link to me FAQ is in my signature. I file her nails mostly but can use a trimmer on the smaller ones. The large ones can split so I prefer filing. Filing also helps keep them in a more natural shape. Maybe it's because she doesn't use them enough but her nails stay blunt. So if I cut them flat they stay flat. I file them rounded so not sharp but a more natural shape. It is about time for a manicure.

If your really interested I have a lengthy care sheet. http://taqmanduagirl.blogspot.com/20...caresheet.html
    It covers the diets we've used but the beef diet is the main one got her beefed up to a nice 17 pounds. Others have used it and had great results too.

In the past bans like this have been by state. My state does have a list similar but it only effects this state and anteaters are on the allowed list but other states have them on the banned list or not listed so as good as banned. This would effect every state. Any species not a domestic dog, cat or farm animal could potentially be banned. On average it takes them right now to determine a species a threat and banned, 4 years. Maybe that is to long but if it takes that long how are they going to be able to go through 10-100 million species in just a few months limited to make a list. Most will probably wind up on the not listed list which is the same as banned.

Not exactly fall out from the recent incidents but that is fuel for the ban bills. They tried to pass a ban in my state last session it is back and being taken more seriously. Never mind they have a permitting system that works. If you want say a tiger you need years of experience and an inspected and approved facility ect. but if you want a fennec it's not as intense but still need to have a vet and show them you have knowledge about them and inspected facilities still. But point at one horrible incident and say we need a ban.

Well first ever face transplant was a lady who had her face eaten of by a domestic dog. Around the same time as the chimp there were a couple cases of dogs attacking killing and yes in one case tearing up a boys face. Bad things happen, bills, even bans wont stop that. Considering the number of exotics estimated to be owned the numbers of problems are extremely low.

I did the numbers recently and .009% of dogs are reported as abused and only .001% of exotics, not directly anything to do with this bill except abused animals are more likely to have issues that could make them dangerous or neglected ones escape. And considering millions of exotics and probably millions of species owned and only a handful have become invasive, it is actually a pretty good record too. By the way European rabbits are an invasive species and there are many warrens of many hundreds of bunnies across the USA and is a big problem. It's just not as news worth as pythons and snake-head fish. By the way that is why European rabbit are already banned, but the wild variety. If you right the species name when importing a rabbit it will not be allowed in to the USA but write domestic rabbit as species instead and they let it in. Still it's domestic bunnies found in feral warrens.

Just pointing out it's not just exotic species. Stallions and bulls are mighty big and dangerous and usually kept behind just a few strands of wire. Banning by species is just as bad as banning by breed. Though I can fault states for putting some safe guards in place for potentially invasive animals but if it were really about the environment they would put the same safe guards on invasive domestics too. but this will be a mass banning of many species if they can't prove it safe. Hard to prove something could never happen.

Thank you so much for that educational link. I am fascinated!!! What do they feel like? And I thought MooShoo the hairless cat was high maintenance!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

love the piccies!

I just wanted to mention, so people get a real understanding of that bill..dont just think of exotics like anteaters and monkeys and such, this bill affects Hamster, Gerbils, Guinea pigs, Parrots, Chinchillas etc... ANYTHING that is not native to the US aside from cats, dogs and livestock.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Thanks for sharing more photos and vids of Pua!

As for that ban, that stinks majorly. I don't want to lose my geckos.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Thank you so much for that educational link. I am fascinated!!! What do they feel like? And I thought MooShoo the hairless cat was high maintenance!
    They are not soft but personally do not find them course either. I tend to say like a well washed goat, no grease to their fur at all so not like a normal goat but a washed one.

I saw a special on anteaters years ago and found them to be so sweet and loving. Now I hate ants, hate hate hate. Disgusting things. But the eater well he is precious and I certainly hope that all works out well. He looks happy and well cared for and that is all that matters in the end.

I know fresh water sting rays are banned in a few states. Ild hate to see this law nation wide.

Cute anteaters.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Send a email to your representatives about this bill easily here, one stop sending. You can even make a letter just by clicking to include their points, though I strongly suggest writing something yourself or at least rewriting the points a bit so they don't just get a bunch of the same. But please be polite. They wont listen to a bunch of crazy rude people, not that you would be but just saying it helps to be polite.

Send emails here:
    http://www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/issu...ertid=13098456

Sample letters here:
    http://www.rexano.org/HR669_Wildlife_Invasion_Frame.htm

Pua is GORGEOUS. I love the video

I hope all turns out well with the bill.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes