Thread: My cat has food issues

My cat has food issues

My cat is fed both wet and dry food, and is spoiled rotten. But she goes crazy when I eat, doesn't matter what. Her pupils dilate, her ears move backwards, her tail fluffs up, and then she starts running around the house like a crazy cat. She will jump off chairs and walls, and she will meow with that low growling voice, and she is very unhappy.

I have only had her for 3.5 months, and I am only fostering her. She was abandoned, stayed with someone who must have taught her bad habits, then she went to a multi-cat home where the others cats didn't like her. She is spoiled rotten here, she gets toys and we play several times a day. She sleeps with me at night, and she is really cuddly, nice and cute. She does talk a lot, and sometimes this little squeal comes out of her, and it is so sweet.. However, I am at the stage where I am reluctant to make myself food or open a bag of snacks, because of her behaviour. She loves chips (learnt behaviour, I am sure), and she does get that from me too *sigh* But if she doesn't, or I am eating something she doesn't want, she goes crazy. I am worried that she may have a mental problem. Any advice?

First, welcome to Pet Talk!!! Second, in all the years that I have had cats(20+years), and all the cats I have had(20+cats), I can say, I have never heard of or seen this type behaviour!!!!! How old is the cat? Is she spayed? Has she been to the vet lately? Did she exhibit this behaviour in the other foster home/s? I think this might be something to discuss with the vet....good luck and pleasse let us know what happens!!!! Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx View Post
    First, welcome to Pet Talk!!! Second, in all the years that I have had cats(20+years), and all the cats I have had(20+cats), I can say, I have never heard of or seen this type behaviour!!!!! How old is the cat? Is she spayed? Has she been to the vet lately? Did she exhibit this behaviour in the other foster home/s? I think this might be something to discuss with the vet....good luck and pleasse let us know what happens!!!! Sandra
    Thank you for the welcome! This is not my first cat, but, she's the first indoor cat and the first female. I am used to more sedate male cats

She is turning 2 this year. She is spayed (SPCA where I foster her from does that to all cats). I haven't had her to the vet since she moved in, as she otherwise seems like a healthy cat. It is only when _I_ eat she goes mad. It sounds like she is behaving like some cats do after they poop. She sometimes does this when I go to bed. She sleeps on a warm blanket in a chair next to my bed, but no matter what we have done during the day, she wants to play fetch from the bed. If she jumps on the bed without anything for me to throw, she does the same crazy running around thing. It seems to me that there isn't anything physically wrong with her, but more something mental. She did this in her previous home too.

Other than this, she is getting more independent. She used to follow me around all the time, which she still does to some degree. She wants to be cuddled, but doesn't like to be picked up, and I only manage about three strokes before she jumps off to sleep in a chair. Unless she really wants to be petted. She has the silkiest fur I have ever seen in a cat, she has food all day (she is spoiled), but isn't overweight at all. I am in fact worried she is too skinny, and I call her my little chicken, as she looks like she has chicken legs when she rests sometimes . She is my Princess (her name), my cuddle bug, and she understands Norwegian (where I am from) completely. I love her to pieces, and almost hope no-one adopts her. I would adopt her myself, but I also wants to help, and she is a one-cat-home-cat, and as long as she is here, I cannot help other cats. So I am hoping for her to find a good home so I can help finding other cats good homes too.

Might I suggest, NOT leaving food out all day for your girl!!! Our current gang eats breakfast, all bowls are washed, and put away. ONLY water is left out. Then they are fed again for supper. Same thing with the bowls. They do get treats, not too many, like after they are groomed....It sure sounds like YOU have found yourself a nice cat that LOVES you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx View Post
    Might I suggest, NOT leaving food out all day for your girl!!! Our current gang eats breakfast, all bowls are washed, and put away. ONLY water is left out. Then they are fed again for supper. Same thing with the bowls. They do get treats, not too many, like after they are groomed....It sure sounds like YOU have found yourself a nice cat that LOVES you!!!
    The love is mutual. She "kisses" my nose in the morning and loves to sniff my face in bed. I have tried the not leaving food out (I had a mouse in the house over Christmas, man I did not move!), but it doesn't really matter for her eating habits. The exterminator suggested only feeding in the morning and removing everything over night, even water (due to the mice), so I tried that until I got sick 3 weeks later and really didn't have a lot of energy. She can gulp down her food while I cook mine, and even if she is full, she goes crazy when I eat.

If there are food there for only a certain time, she may or may not eat it even if it's been a while since she ate. I guess trying it again now that she has made my home hers won't hurt.

She is so cute, have a look at my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenejen...7611506757684/

Oh what a beautiful tabby girl! It's easy to see why you've fallen in love w/Princess. Her behavior does sound a little kooky but it may just be her personality and things may calm down. It's clear that she loves you and perhaps someone else here on PT can offer some advice. Forgive me, though: why must you give her up to someone else for adoption? You can still work to find other cats homes. Several of us here on PT have done it, myself included, which is how I wound up w/8 furkids. I know that you say she's a one-cat-home-cat but you could still foster another one and keep it isolated so that Princess wouldn't get upset. LOL Whatever the case, thank you for being such a good mom to this precious girl. And a hearty welcome to you from Mary and her Fur Posse.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary, thank you for the welcome. Princess was hurt by the cats in her previous home, and I am afraid she will not agree with other cats, and her previous mom concurs. I have an apartment and Princess has made it quite clear that it's her place. I have limited possibility to introduce another cat into the mix.

While I am worried about her behaviour around my eating, I am very happy with the rest. She is a well adjusted cat, loves to sleep, and earlier today we took a quick nap together on "our" bed, before we played a bit together. She sleeps on the during the day, and I get a few hours on it at night She usually starts waking me up around 5 for cuddles. I am so in love with her, I cannot stop telling people about her, showing them her pictures (I have had her for 3.5 months now, and I have about 200 pictures of her). I was getting stuff at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day, and ended up showing everybody in line pictures of her!

Quote Originally Posted by lene View Post
    I am so in love with her, I cannot stop telling people about her, showing them her pictures (I have had her for 3.5 months now, and I have about 200 pictures of her). I was getting stuff at Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day, and ended up showing everybody in line pictures of her!
    Yep, you're in love alright! You're hooked, girl! LOL
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

O!!! She is very pretty!! Reminds me of Kirsten's Luna, who was the cat of the day this week(I cannot recall the day!). Just a thought, try feeding her when you eat. Good luck!

Cat Food Issues

I have food issues with my cat also. She has been the same weight for as long as I've had her. She hates dry food but I always have it available. She won't eat the cat food that's good for her only Fancy Feast. She snubs the food if it's been in the dish longer than 1/2 hour and she drives my son and I insane with her meowing when she is upset that we didn't give her what she wants. She's just too cute to be angry at for very long.