Thread: Urinary Crystals

Urinary Crystals

Hello,
    A co-worker has a four and a half year old shi-tsu (Coco) that is having a really hard time with urinary crystals. She's had two surgeries to get rid of some large crystals in her bladder and after a trip to the vet on Friday, has been put on Amoxicillin, Arobax and Uroeze. Coco is also on Prednisone for her anemia.

My co-worker's concern is the Uroeze...this drug seems to be what brought on her anemia a while ago, something that is potentially deadly for her.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything you've had that worked for your dogs regarding crystals? Coco is on a special diet and is really good about drinking a lot of water.

Thank you!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Talk w/ the vet about Science diet, they makes good prescription diets that help with urinary problems, crystals & stones.

Also if the problem has been going on for a long time maybe a second opinion would be helpful?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

That sounds aweful, poor baby. I wish her the best of luck. Sorry that I don't have any advice, just sympathy.

urine crystals

I have a lab who is now close to 10 years who for the first 7 years right from puppyhood always had urinary tract infections, high ph urine and crytals. 3 years ago I put her on Diamond dog food which has controlled levels of ash and I haven't had a problem since. Wish I could have known earlier that that is all she needed, in her case. You may also add 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar to a pint of water for the drinking water. Works for pet birds too. Hope all this helps. Science diet didn't work for me, just to let you know.

i have a one and a half year old shih tzu who has urinary crystals too. now she's on UD Diet

Hello everyone,
    Are crystals and bladder stones the same thing? My Shih Tzu puppy with diagnosed with bladder stones today. She may need surgery to remove them in a couple weeks. Are stones something that comes back?

My Dog Chika was diagnosed with Urinary tract too and and i read more about it. The doctor originally put her on a prescipted diet, and SHE HATED that food. I looked more into it, and learned that CRANBERRY helps urinary tract for Human. Well i try that on my dog, gave her some "cranberry" treats like with muffin, juice and all that good stuff, I once also got her this canned dog desert thing that contained cranberry. Basically anything that anything with cranberry it helped. 6 months later I got a check up and the doctor said that they didn't seem to find any chrystals in her. We also changed her diet to the "Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Formula Dog Food" and it seems to be doing well with that too. I thought I would like to share that with you. She is now doing well. I changed my life around her, basically treating her with whatever that is related to cranberry, a change of her diet, and also taking her to walks more regularly. That is how they were formed regularly.

Another weird thing that found out is that is sometimes quite common that dogs have crystals in her kidney. It is normal, as long as we keep a close on it so it doesn't turn into stones. Now my Chika is doing great and jumps like a jumping jack. When she needs to go, which I usually know, I take her out. I hope this information helps!

Abby had an AWFUL time this spring with crystals...she cried & cried (and so did I!!!) She took several meds...Enrofloxin, Baytril, Amoxicillin, & Rimadyl in pill forms, plus all of the shots...BUT the thing that truly did the trick for her was called METHAGEL. It comes in a tube, similar to a toothpaste tube..and is a brownixh color, the smell reminds you of molasses...I had squeeze out about a 1" legth of it for her each morning, which she happily licked of of my finger. She loves it, thought it was a treat. She did not end up needing surgery, because on the very day that they were prepared to operate, the crystals were breaking up much better. (and boy, was it fun to collect samples from her!!) My vets were amazed at the turnaround once she started taking that.

Thanks vinjashira for the siggy