Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much salt?

Too much salt?

Hey all, I haven't been around much lately so I'm not sure if you remember me or not.

Anyway, I have a quick question. My brothers girlfriend made a small clay house out of flour and salt. Josie ate it and has since been drinking a ton of water and peeing. I know the salt would make her thirsty, and then need to pee. Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I just let her drink as much as she wants? She's acting a little funny. Doesn't want to sit still much.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I'm trying to Google some accurate info for you, not having luck so far, but from what little info I've read so far it's sounding like maybe a call to the ER for advice might be in order.

I'll keep digging and see what I can find out.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I would say that your brother should definately take the child to the ER!

From what I've been reading even with drinking lots of water there is still a very high sodium content in the urine that the kidneys have a very hard time deailng with. Also it appears that drinking large amounts of water and urinating like that can cause electrolytes to be imbalanced which can cause even more problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15516309

That's the closest thing I could find on authoritative information. Most things I ran across were just news headlines or web forums which I would doubt the accuracy of the info.

I hope the child will be ok and will not have any problems. Please keep us updated.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    I hope the child will be ok and will not have any problems. Please keep us updated.
    Josie's a lab, not a hooman kid. I hope she'll be okay, drinking a lot is understandable, I'd just keep an eye on her for the next day or so, okay? I know Labs THINK they are vacuum cleaners, but not everything's safe to ingest, silly dog!
    I've Been Frosted

I would call the vet. I have experience in this because my Lab Casey has eaten many things over the years that she shouldn't have. When I call my vet they say, "what has Casey eaten now". Actually, now that she is a senior citizen, she doesn't do it as much. One time she ate 7 Chocolate Choclate Chip muffins!!! The kids had left the bag on the stove within paws reach. I was horrified. The vet said with her size she would be okay. She never got sick or anytyhing. Good luck. Hope yours is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Josie's a lab, not a hooman kid.
    Ah, see I always load up the pages under 'New Posts' so the catagories are always messed up. I didn't realize this was a dog not a child. I'd still think the same thing would apply though for electrolytes and kidneys.

I hope Josie is ok.

Audrey, I think a big problem might be that she'll retain water with the salt. It could be harmful. I would call the vet. Best wishes that all is ok.

I definitely remember you and I was just thinking about you. Miss you!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Hey Audrey! I've missed you and the pups and kitties. Any chance of some new pics? I don't have any advice other then calling a vet and seeing what they say. I hope Josie is okay!

I have no advice for this case
    I do hope Josie will be ok. Shes such a cuttie
    Give her a cookie & an ear scratch for me

Audrey can you PM me your cell # again? I lost it when I lost my cell back in Dec 2008. We need to make more plans to get together again. Anime North is coming up & I'll hopefully be in PEI next summer (not this one, Digi's Emergency ate all that money).. Digi will be coming!!

I'm also in favor of updated pics

Thanks everyone. I did call the vet. She said it was nothing to worry about as long as she drank a lot. She's fine now, so all is well

I'll attach a couple pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3527.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	341.3 KB 
ID:	42006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3551.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	42007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3604.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	42008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3686.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	42009  

Glad to hear Josie is ok.

Great photos of your beautiful crew! Thanks for sharing.

glad to hear she'll be fine!

Wow, Zeke has a lot of white on his muzzle, but hes still as cute as EVER!
    How old is Zeke & Josie now?

Thanks

Yeah, my little boy is getting older Zeke is 6, and Josie is 10.

Old or not, both dogs are still super cute!
    Does Zeke still rest his head on your shoulder when your driving? That is still 1 of the cutest things I have ever seen!

I am glad Josie is okay! I have found that, no matter how old a Lab gets, they still tend to see the world as one giant buffet, and will eat anything even remotely edible if not dissuaded!

Oh, Jess is right, Zeke does have a lot of white on his muzzle - but with his markings, unless you knew what he looked like before, you wouldn't necessarily think it's "old age" white hair!

We worried when Gracie, our 3/4 Great Dane, 1/4 Lab started going grey at age 4 - but she lived to 14 1/2, so it's no indication of anything bad!
    I've Been Frosted