Thread: Hank, stop biting! (how... do I be so firm with him?)

Hank, stop biting! (how... do I be so firm with him?)

I have moved back home.. and it seems like Hank thinks I am a playmate to him. The only time he is calm and sweet is when he wakes me up in the mornings, and wants to get under my blankets or just to lay on me.. in fact, this morning he was sleeping on top of me. He is such a great dog - but one problem - Yes I know he is only a puppy, but WOW! He has so much energy in that little body of his. He is only 25 lbs or so. He's about 8 months old, and he will be neutured on Thursday. (will that actually help him calm down a bit?)

He seems to think my hands are toys - my feet are toys - my everything is toys to him. He listens very well to my dad, but not really to my mom and I. Any ideas how to really be firm with him, with saying "No!" (which doesn't WORK!) or "bobbing" him on the nose and saying "No!" at the same time, doesn't work either.. and I've tried to walk away, walk towards him, and hide my hands, too. I can't even lay down and relax, without him charging against me and go at my head, and try to get my face and pawing, playing.

He is definitely a difference than Rosie at 8 weeks when we had her... wow! I need help here.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

well.. it seems your dad is alpha and you and your mom are just siblings, in which case he plays like that to show he´s the dominant pup...

it may be hard but i think what yo are doing: saying no, walk away, ignore...etc.. should work.. but it seems he doesn´t even gives a cookie to that...

maybe try the opposite.. reward him when he´s NOT doing that, so he knows being nice would give him a treat, so he´ll have somehting to look forward instead of just playing rough on you and expect you to leave or "ground" him but no good out of it for him in that...

I have another friend with a beagle also 8months that say she´ll chew everything and even more while she´s watching and saying no to her... seems beagles are full of energy (and i don´t say it in a bad way) just that maybe their hound instinct calls for you being ahead of them
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

That makes completely sense. He completely starts the play behavior with me every time I am around. Eventually I have to pick him up and kind of be stern with him and say, "NO!" or just to calm him down. He immediately calms down once you pick him up anytime.

I think it is interesting. When Rosie was 7-8 months old, she was nowhere this insane as Hank is! Haha. I think it has to be the gender difference, but you pointed out that your friend's beagle is a female, so I could be wrong.

Now, Hank is not all Beagle. HE looks like it, but he's not. He definitely has some Boston Terrier in him. I'm positive he is Beagle/BT mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    well.. it seems your dad is alpha and you and your mom are just siblings, in which case he plays like that to show he´s the dominant pup...

it may be hard but i think what yo are doing: saying no, walk away, ignore...etc.. should work.. but it seems he doesn´t even gives a cookie to that...

maybe try the opposite.. reward him when he´s NOT doing that, so he knows being nice would give him a treat, so he´ll have somehting to look forward instead of just playing rough on you and expect you to leave or "ground" him but no good out of it for him in that...

I have another friend with a beagle also 8months that say she´ll chew everything and even more while she´s watching and saying no to her... seems beagles are full of energy (and i don´t say it in a bad way) just that maybe their hound instinct calls for you being ahead of them
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

not sure if this´ll work.. but as you said pickng him up calms him a bit... it may be as he feels in a not so dominant position up there...

you can try roll him over (belly rubs like) and hold him so it´s him in a submissive position...

one other thing is yo could bare your teeth at him to show him enough is enough (like a mom dog would). it´s ok to play but don´t cross the line type thing...

he sure is the cutest beagle/boston mix!!... I love Hank!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

How much time does Hank spend with other dogs? At 8 months old, bite inhibition should be pretty solid.

I play biteyhands with my dogs all of the time... it's a good way to teach them how much bite pressure is too much. The key is that YOU start the play and YOU end it. If he tries to initiate play, he gets a complete cold shoulder. You can grab a tug toy or just use your hands, and engage him in play. The second mouthing becomes biting, you have to make a noise that makes your displeasure clear (a lot of puppies become desensitized to "No", so try yelping/screeching/growling at him instead) and end the play for a minute or so. If you're sitting, that means you will probably need to stand up and turn your back on him. Then initiate again, and repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't hit him on the nose, he could confuse that with you playing back, it's confusing.

I would also get him around friendly, well-adjusted adult dogs as much as possible. Let them correct his mouthiness (of course, as long as the corrections are fair).

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy View Post
    How much time does Hank spend with other dogs? At 8 months old, bite inhibition should be pretty solid.

I play biteyhands with my dogs all of the time... it's a good way to teach them how much bite pressure is too much. The key is that YOU start the play and YOU end it. If he tries to initiate play, he gets a complete cold shoulder. You can grab a tug toy or just use your hands, and engage him in play. The second mouthing becomes biting, you have to make a noise that makes your displeasure clear (a lot of puppies become desensitized to "No", so try yelping/screeching/growling at him instead) and end the play for a minute or so. If you're sitting, that means you will probably need to stand up and turn your back on him. Then initiate again, and repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't hit him on the nose, he could confuse that with you playing back, it's confusing.

I would also get him around friendly, well-adjusted adult dogs as much as possible. Let them correct his mouthiness (of course, as long as the corrections are fair).
    He plays quite a bit with the neighbor's dog next door - but that's about it. He is quite playful. He doesn't mean any harm at all - it's all in play. He has never gotten aggressive once... but, I am going to take him to a dog park soon eventually when I have time. I just need to find a good one around here. We do plan on getting another dog (me.. actually) since I am wanting my own. I think he honestly needs a playmate. I don't know when, though. If I was getting another - it'd be a male, and he would be already a year old or so...

You make completely sense about bopping on the nose, it does encourage him more, so I try to walk away and ignore him but he just keeps coming at me.. play pounce on my foot or anything to get my attention to play with him. I will stop doing that.

Again, he doesn't "know" me that well because I just moved back home from college - so I can understand it will be a bit of time for him to learn that I am also in charge, too as well, not just only my dad.

I'm having a similar problem with Taggart "biting". He doesn't hurt, he just sort of mouths you. Now my problem is that is how Zoee and him play. They are constantly biting and pulling on each others necks. I'm sure he'll outgrow this behavior (he'll be a year old in May), but in the meantime I usually just grab his snout (gently) and give him a firm no (not yelling, just a really low no). Usually I do this a couple of times and he gets it. And this behavior from him is not constant, only when I assume my TV watching position. LOL
    I keep trying to tell Zoee not to let him play like that with her, but she just doesn't listen to me.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)