Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Are your dogs vicious or nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    I /still/ dont see the need for guard dogs. Cameras and a gun work well enough.
    Totally different than guard dogs. The camera does not alert you if you are not looking at the screen. A gun doesn't wake you if someone breaks in. A camera needs batteries. And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.

A camera and guns only work as a deterrent if people know you have both. A dog will alert the person to his or her presence immediately. A gun doesn't know the difference between friend and foe. I could go on and on ...
    I've Been Frosted

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    vicious - dangerously aggressive : savage <a vicious dog> b: marked by violence or ferocity : fierce <a vicious fight>

No, my dogs aren't vicious.

Anyone who brags or advertises about a truly vicious animal, and isn't searching for ways to alter said animals' behavior, is a huge part of the problem with society and it's perspective and treatment of animals.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Totally different than guard dogs. The camera does not alert you if you are not looking at the screen. A gun doesn't wake you if someone breaks in. A camera needs batteries. And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.

A camera and guns only work as a deterrent if people know you have both. A dog will alert the person to his or her presence immediately. A gun doesn't know the difference between friend and foe. I could go on and on ...
    Actually cameras do alert you. I work for Lorex Technology & when our systems sense motion they send an email to your phone with an image... But thats still not the point, if the dogs are not trained properly then they are a danger to everyone.

When I worked with guard dogs we were able to walk them in public with NO issues. Cezar the biggest rottie I was working with was by far the most aggressive, but when on a leash he was a sweetheart! A little old lady came up to him once grabbed his face & gave him kisses. He was all wiggles & just LOVING the attention! Now put him in the car & give the command... no one can get near the car without fearing for their lives.. But tell him to stop & down, he will do it.

Big difference between dogs under control & ones that are wild acting... the wild ones are not cool.. not at all

I very rarely post in a thread such as this - one that has gone on to become argumentative and condemnatory - but I felt the need to point out a couple of things that seem to have not been read clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    RW55 clarified his/her statement and yet nobody seemed to notice:

The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't let them bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

please keep in mind that some people have a legitimate need for guard dogs. If you live in a high crime or extremely rural area, having 4-legged alarms may save your life or property.
    I agree both with the statement that some people do have a need for guard dogs and, most importantly, that no-one seems to have noticed RW55's clarification of 'vicious'.

Similarly, no-one seems to have noticed the 'just' in this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by RipplingWaves55 View Post
    they're not suffering, they get pizza, noodles, chicken, and other treats, and they barely ever just get dog food. They get to run around, wrestle and play and they get pets and more treats. Whatever.
    In addition may I say that not everyone, including myself, may have the good communication skills that are shown by the majority of members of Pet Talk. Sometimes, if you will, please ask for clarification, and try and understand the reply, before going on to attack/condemn?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    And neither gun nor camera will cuddle with you.
    Well....

as said before.. some persons DO need guard dogs as such (trained)...

every dog WILL guard his/her home by nature... but it will differ from a dog trained specifically for that matter....

IMO tehre is some point that a naturally guarding dog will break (start wagging at intruder or run away) but a trained guard dog will stay put until told otherwise... hence why police dogs are trained to GUARD and protect...

it may also be the case that a naturally guarding dog, bares teeth, luges and bites but wonīt let go... and a traind one will do that on command...

as said also the definition of vicious might be missinterpreted by different perceptions.... a non-stop barking dog lunging at the fence might look vicious to the people on the other side but to the owner it might be just his dog guarding his territory...

in my case... with huskies.. when at play to many many countless people they are vicisous dogs... those who know how they play itīs nothing like it, just playful dogs....

I donīt condemn people having guard dogs, as long as they are well cared for and loved... thatīs another reason for the different breeds out there.
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by RipplingWaves55 View Post
    They're guard dogs. WE trained them to be that way. WE like it. If a stranger comes to our house, they will bark and warn us. I want them to do that. We trained 'em that way and that's how it is.

R.I.P Dorothy, whoever that is.
    This is who Dorothy was. http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...3062009/450628
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...162005/1702572