Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are your dogs vicious or nice?

None of my dogs are "Vicious",Lacy gets a little tempermental with Molly,as Molly does her.It has calmed dowm tremendously since we had the behaviorlist in.

I can honestly say i could leave my dogs in a room with strangers,And i would be able to walk away knowing nothing would happen.Now they bark if someone pulls into the driveway or Knocks on the door..But what dog doesn't?

And if there is owners on here that have dogs that don't make a noise,It must be nice not to have a musical quior when visitors show up.

Just the other day we had friends over that have to small girls ages 3-1..The baby tripped over her feet and landed right on Maggy..She just looked at the young girl..Like are you ok?!?!..I would not want any less from any of my girls.

Agressive Dogs can be a danger,Not only to you but the public,I think some classes and socialization is in need.

All the Best.

You would euthanize a human aggressive dog with no ifs ands or buts? I think that says something about your role as an owner as well. There are ways to deal with and work with aggressive dogs. The solution does not always have to be euthanasia.
    If my dog went and attacked someone for no reason um ya it would be gone.
    If my dog was going after every person it saw other then me, ya it would be gone. I wouldn't have a dog that could cause damage any given second and be a liabilitly.
    Why would anyone want that?
    Why would I want a dog that I would be afraid to own in fear that if it ever got loose it would hurt someone?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I certainly wouldn't be advertising it on the 'net if I had vicious dogs! When they bite someone, and from your own description that's only a matter of time, you just publicly admitted you know they are aggressive. Oh, the fun a lawyer would have with that!

I do have a dog who is deemed dangerous under our local animal control by-law. The reality is Mac is a sweet, gentle, timid dog who is not good with small children. He is fine with anyone over about 4 feet tall! He's never bitten; he knocked a kid over on the trail and tugged on the hood of his snowsuit, no contact with the kid's body. No intent to injure. He was playing--totally inappropriate play, but that's what it was in his mind. That's enough for a dangerous dog designation here. I fought for weeks to save Mac's life and he now lives a very restricted life compared to his life before that incident.

Keeping a dog deemed dangerous, even one like Mac who isn't really dangerous, is difficult, expensive, time-consuming and a constant worry. I need special insurance, signage on every entrance to my property(which makes me laugh, try to figure out which dog out of the 26 you are supposed to beware of; I'll guarentee if you were standing at my gate, you wouldn't pick Mac as a dangerous dog!); strict fencing requirements; Mac can never be off-leash anywhere ever again; he must be muzzled when off my property and on a leash no more than 4 feet long(try to exercise a young husky with those restrictions!). ANY complaint about Mac ever again will lead to his death...no questions asked; AC just takes him and kills him.

I don't have children, have no plans to have children and can restrict Mac so he never has access to children again. If I didn't have the resources to do that, I would have to put him down. If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone.
    You say it and it's fine, yet when I say it I get called a bad owner how does that work?
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132 View Post
    You say it and it's fine, yet when I say it I get called a bad owner how does that work?
    Sweetie, no one called you a bad owner. She did say there might be other alternatives to euthanization, that's all.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Thats a great way to try to educate someone
    no kidding!

All of my dogs are sweet with people. Buster is just fearful of new people but he doesn't act out aggressively. Rocky and Jenny loved ALL people!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I think that says something about your role as an owner as well
    She also said that Karen and since she didn't agree with what I said I can only assume she ment that I wouldn't be what she classed a good owner.
    See ALL my pets here

RipplingWaves55, I will ask how do you excersize your dogs? You said in another thread that you can't walk them because they are vicious. Which means you can not take them to public places to excersize. Do they just stay in there kennel all day, on the chain that I see attached to the dogs in some of the pictures? I'm not trying to start anything, but the pictures I have seen, I just feel awful for the dogs. Like Alecia mentioned they are heelers, and that breed needs so much mental and physical activity.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by WELOVESPUPPIES View Post
    I am confused as to why you would want to advertise that your dogs are vicious. That is a reflection on you and how you raise them, I personally would not be proud to announce that, actually I would be quite embarassed and instead would be contacting someone for some help on correcting their behavior.

I would never accept that type of behavior from any of my dogs and if they showed signs of becoming that way I would be right along with Flatcoatluver and be working with and training my dogs.

I hope for your dogs sake they never get loose and hurt someone. Unfortunately because of your lack of responsibility someone could be seriously hurt or even killed and the dog would be PTS due to no fault of its own.

I don't agree with vicious dog behavior, it is completely unacceptable. Owners are to blame, a dog does what a dog is allowed to do. My best friends grandmother was mauled to death in her front yard because of an irresponsible pet owner. The owner served 2 years in jail(not long enough IMO) and all the dogs were PTS or shot by they police officers that were trying to get to her lying in her yard as they charged the officers when they tried to approach.

Rest in Peace Dorothy you are greatly missed by all of use who had the pleasure of knowing you.
    They're guard dogs. WE trained them to be that way. WE like it. If a stranger comes to our house, they will bark and warn us. I want them to do that. We trained 'em that way and that's how it is.

R.I.P Dorothy, whoever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver View Post
    RipplingWaves55, I will ask how do you excersize your dogs? You said in another thread that you can't walk them because they are vicious. Which means you can not take them to public places to excersize. Do they just stay in there kennel all day, on the chain that I see attached to the dogs in some of the pictures? I'm not trying to start anything, but the pictures I have seen, I just feel awful for the dogs. Like Alecia mentioned they are heelers, and that breed needs so much mental and physical activity.
    They get toys, and treats. They get switched off, there's wild animals here and if they get off they will get hurt. They get exercise. We walk them when I'm off from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    I certainly wouldn't be advertising it on the 'net if I had vicious dogs! When they bite someone, and from your own description that's only a matter of time, you just publicly admitted you know they are aggressive. Oh, the fun a lawyer would have with that!

I do have a dog who is deemed dangerous under our local animal control by-law. The reality is Mac is a sweet, gentle, timid dog who is not good with small children. He is fine with anyone over about 4 feet tall! He's never bitten; he knocked a kid over on the trail and tugged on the hood of his snowsuit, no contact with the kid's body. No intent to injure. He was playing--totally inappropriate play, but that's what it was in his mind. That's enough for a dangerous dog designation here. I fought for weeks to save Mac's life and he now lives a very restricted life compared to his life before that incident.

Keeping a dog deemed dangerous, even one like Mac who isn't really dangerous, is difficult, expensive, time-consuming and a constant worry. I need special insurance, signage on every entrance to my property(which makes me laugh, try to figure out which dog out of the 26 you are supposed to beware of; I'll guarentee if you were standing at my gate, you wouldn't pick Mac as a dangerous dog!); strict fencing requirements; Mac can never be off-leash anywhere ever again; he must be muzzled when off my property and on a leash no more than 4 feet long(try to exercise a young husky with those restrictions!). ANY complaint about Mac ever again will lead to his death...no questions asked; AC just takes him and kills him.

I don't have children, have no plans to have children and can restrict Mac so he never has access to children again. If I didn't have the resources to do that, I would have to put him down. If I thought for a second that Mac actually intended to injure that child, that he was truly showing aggression, he would be dead. I would have put him down that day without hesitation, with a shattered heart, but he would be gone.
    The're just guard dogs, they aren't fully vicious. They never bit someone, they just bark. We don't le tthem bite people.. they just bark.... they just bark, does no one get this? By vicious, I didn't mean they tear people's head's off.

What will you do if they hurt someone or somebody in your family? What will you do if they kill somebody?

I was coming back to post on this thread again to say I thought it was trollish. Now....I hear this and I'm flabbergasted!! I really thought that no one would post this unless they were trying to start something.

I'm dead serious here: Something needs to be done with your dogs right away or you may be sorry. It could be worse than you can imagine.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by RipplingWaves55 View Post
    They're guard dogs. WE trained them to be that way. WE like it. If a stranger comes to our house, they will bark and warn us. I want them to do that. We trained 'em that way and that's how it is.
    I'm speechless. Almost ...

In an earlier comment, it was mentioned that a certain post was not a good way to educate someone. After reading the completely arrogant, ignorant post quoted above, does anyone honestly believe this person is seeking education or is in any way open to any education? I do not. And this is not the first instant of this same attitude by this OP.

RW, When your dogs attack someone, they will be euthanized. It matters not a bit if the person came onto your property with or without your permission, when you were or were not home. If you knowingly keep vicious dogs, they will be killed and you will be liable.

A dog does not generally have to be trained to bark when a stranger approaches. That is a dog's nature. Most dogs have to be trained not to do it. This behavior, I do not think, is all you are talking about at all. You are quite proud of your vicious dogs, that YOU trained, that YOU want to do that. When your dogs maul someone, and are euthanized, will YOU still be so proud of YOUR "training" then?

How terribly sad. Always the dogs that pay the price for the owner's issues.
    Last edited by Twisterdog; 03-19-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

You say you don't let your dogs bite people.
    So in which way do you mean seeing as you aren't being clear with your post.
    When they bark you hold them back from people or they are trained just to bark and that's it?
    Barking isn't vicious, if it was we would all have viscious dogs.
    Any good dog who loves their family will bark at unknown people, but they won't attack (unless they KNOW something is wrong).

I don't get how my posts before were bad anyways, I was being blunt in telling her what she is doing to the breed. And if that is being "mean" well maybe some people need to come out of their bubble and see the real world.

I'm pretty sure I have alot more hands on experience with dogs then most people on here.
    I work with dogs, I work with rescues and trainers.
    I have difficult breeds, and breeds that are "deemed dangerous".
    I'm sorry that I know people like this are ruining the breed and need to be told before more breeds get attacked by bsl.

in fact that causes serious problems when people let there dogs roam
    Not to mention that because her dogs arent fixed they would be getting pregnant too.

Oh and you said you have a cayote mix.. wouldn't be going around saying that either being as it's ILLEGAL unless you have a permitt which I doubt you do.
    See ALL my pets here

Quote Originally Posted by RipplingWaves55 View Post
    They get toys, and treats. They get switched off, there's wild animals here and if they get off they will get hurt. They get exercise. We walk them when I'm off from work.
    I'm not saying let your dogs run free, in fact that causes serious problems when people let there dogs roam. I'm just asking if they get mental and physical activity. Being that they are herding breeds they not only need a lot of physical activity, like running off leash. They also need a lot of mental activitys, like each dog having a training session at least 20 mins a day. All the exercise in the world won't make some dogs tired, but they need a lot of metal stimulation. Being in that kennel and then let out for a walk is NOT ENOUGH.

Also to add dogs don't know the difference between a family friend or a stranger. I think it's so wrong to teach a dog to be a "guard dog." If a dog need to be protective, they will naturally be protective. My flat-coat is a therapy dog and she would never hurt anyone. One day someone tried to hurt me and she stepped in between me and that person and protected me. Not because I taught her to, but because she sensed that I was in trouble and sensed that I was scared. Dogs are natural protecters and can feel fear.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)