Thread: Cat urinates on couch and bed???

Cat urinates on couch and bed???

I rescued my siamese lynx, Sierra, abount 8 months ago. She started urinating on the couch after about a month. I thought I could get her to stop, with detourate sprays and catching her in the act, however she has not stopped. Anyone with suggestions? I don't have the heart to put her to sleep, has that is the only alternative. I could not give her to anyone else. Who would want a cat that will ruined your furniture? If I can't resolve this I know that I have no choice though, it is heartbreaking.
    Love My Sierra, Annette

Your cat is trying to tell you something. Have you checked her out with your Vet? If she doesn't have any health problems, it's a behavior problem. Have there been any changes in the household? New people or pets? Remodeling? New litter or a change in litterbox location?

I have 12 cats; more than one of them pee inappropriately. I just don't know which ones. In desperation, I contacted a pet psychic. She told me the problem was "too many cats". So I just clean up with Simple Solution every time. If I catch someone in the act, a loud yell stops them. I will NOT euthanize for this. I spend a lot of time tracking down smells and obliterating them. Fortunately, my bed has only been the target once.

Until you know why she is doing this, put a plastic shower curtain on your bed or close the bedroom door at all times.

What Mruffruff said.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

First and foremost, have your cat checked out by your vet to be sure that there isn't something going on medically. Once that's ruled out and s/he feels that the problem is behavioral, then read on.

I swear this company should start giving me kickbacks because I've recommended their product so many times. Here goes: if you aren't opposed to medicating your cat, talk to your vet about Clomicalm. It's recommended for dogs w/behavior problems but it's been used successfully on cats. I've used it for my pee cats for a few years now and I've had no problems ever since and they've not had any nasty side effects from it either. I can understand your frustration; I had a lot of ruined furniture and awful odors in my house and I tried several things including various medications before my vet, out of desperation, asked if I'd be willing to try a product that's normally administered to dogs. Your vet will tell you that it isn't approved for cats and that's true but neither is ametryptilene but it's prescribed by vets quite often. My cats get 5 mg. of Clomicalm at bed time. I've not seen any accidents since I started them on Clomicalm.

To remove pet stain and odor, I've found that Urine Gone works best for me. You can find it at Bed Bath and Beyond and here in Ohio even in grocery stores. The affected area needs to be saturated w/the Urine Gone, scrubbed thoroughly, saturated again and scrubbed again. This will keep your kitty from spraying there again because it completely removes the odor and stain.

Good luck w/this and please let us know how things are progressing. Please don't have your cat PTS when there is a viable solution.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks for replies

Thanks so much for the advice,
    I haven't had any changes in the household. Shes had been doing this since I got her, she has even urinated on my bed in front of me once. I give her plenty of attention daily. I brush her, talk to and play with her. She greets me when I come home and follows me around the house. Sierra is not a lap cat however she loves to be around me and talks to me quite often. The only thing that she doesn't not like is when my son (that is 18) has friends over, Sierra runs in my room and doesn't come out. My son takes good care of her as well and loves her too. Sierra loves him to, talks to him and he plays with him too.
    I have had to clean the couch, faux fur rug and bed almost daily. I have spent a lot of money on odor removers that work pretty good. I also use an water and vinegar solution and Baking soda for the bacteria growth. I have a spray to detour her from the couch. Just when I thought I remedied the problem I sit down to find a wet spot again. I never yell at her because I know she is doing what comes natural to her for some reason.
    The women who had her before me worked at a vet. For some reason that women moved out of state and abandon Sierra and another cat. The neighbor took them in, but already had to many cats, so put them on criagslist to be adopted. They thought that Sierra needed to be the only cat because she always hide in the bedroom. Now see why I can't let go of her. I feel sorry for what she has been though. I have dealt with her problem for 8 months so it's not like I haven't tried everything I could. I guess I can try the medication you have suggested.
    She doesn't have any medical problems. My vet thought that it's a behavioral problem she as probably had a long time. I am going to try the physic. I have a wonderful lady I have seen many times over the last 15 years, that is very good. Maybe she can read Sierra.
    Thanks for the understanding, my friends an family think I am crazy to keep her when she has ruined so much of the furniture. (Couch and new mattress that my boyfriend let me borrow until I can afford my own) (Long Story). He is the least understand since these things belong to him!
    Sincerely, LoveMySierra

I do hope you try the Clomicalm, and even try Feliway. It's a spray that can go in a diffuser - or a single squirt into a super stretchy collar around her neck. It's made to copy pheromones, the same stuff our kitties give off when they head-rub happily against something. It's a hormone that says 'this is a safe place'.

Please update on your dear Sierra.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I do hope you try the Clomicalm, and even try Feliway. It's a spray that can go in a diffuser - or a single squirt into a super stretchy collar around her neck. It's made to copy pheromones, the same stuff our kitties give off when they head-rub happily against something. It's a hormone that says 'this is a safe place'.

Please update on your dear Sierra.
    Candace, I've searched for stretchy collars and can't find any. Did you buy them online?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Nope- at a pet store! :-) Ask and ye shall find...hopefully! lol
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda