Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice

Looking for some advice

Not sure where to post this. I am originally from Iowa, and have been in Canada for 8 months. I had to leave my most precious friend in Iowa with my mother. I saved Coda from a feral life at the tender age of 3 weeks, I bottle raised and SPOILED him to no end. I DESPERATELY want to get him up to Canada with me!! But I can't make a trip down to get him right now. It looks like it may be 2-3 yrs before I can go down to the states. Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to get him shipped up to me?? I have already looking into the airlines, they will be of no help to me (closest place he could board is a 3 hour drive for my mother...closest he can land in Canada is an 8 hour drive). Any suggestions in this would be greatly appreciated. This picture of him is when he weighed in at 16 pounds, my mother says he is much heavier now.

I am so sorry to read about your situation!! But, it sure sounds like you LOVE your boy!!! I sent a pm to someone who may give you a few ideas!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Ty

I hope to hear from them soon, being away from him this long has been tough.

Check this link, Roger: http://www.operationroger.rescuegroups.org/info/

Here's what they need: http://www.operationroger.rescuegrou...ay?PageID=4378

They transport animals...see if they will help.

How far are you from the US border itself? You might have a much shorter drive than you think.

Other options: http://www.boomerangpetcarrier.com/

Also - ask your vet! Or your local Humane/SPCA. They may be able to help you!

I hope Coda is snuggled in your arms soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, I'm in Saskatoon, not certain, but think it's 8-10 hours to the US border. I'll look into both links you sent me and I appreciate it. Just wish I had family that would be coming up for a visit, that way he could just hitch a ride with them. But my mother (who is babysitting him) recently had back surgery, I don't see her flying or going for a long car ride either any time soon. When I came up here I thought getting him here would be much easier than it is proving to be. I thought i would have already been able to go back and get him, but financially that is out of the question for at least 2 yrs, which is WAY too long!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingCoda View Post
    Well, I'm in Saskatoon, not certain, but think it's 8-10 hours to the US border. I'll look into both links you sent me and I appreciate it. Just wish I had family that would be coming up for a visit, that way he could just hitch a ride with them. But my mother (who is babysitting him) recently had back surgery, I don't see her flying or going for a long car ride either any time soon. When I came up here I thought getting him here would be much easier than it is proving to be. I thought i would have already been able to go back and get him, but financially that is out of the question for at least 2 yrs, which is WAY too long!!
    Hmm, any other students from the US there that you know? Maybe someone knows someone who will be visiting ...
    I've Been Frosted

Well, I'm far past being a student...I'm an old woman who found love with a man that lives here. He too is a cat lover (he adopted one from the shelter a few months before i came up) which sealed the deal in my mind. Any man as sweet as this guy that is also a cat lover is a dream come true. His kitty is very spoiled and could use the friendship of my big baby. If I had known though that I would be away from Coda this long, I may not have come when I did. This is a pic of her, I think the two of them would make a great match, they are both spayed and neutered. But they would look great together.

Where is your mother located? My sister lives in Saskatoon and is thinking of coming down for a visit in April (I am in the DC area)....

Best wishes

Coda is absolutely beautiful. He looks so much like my dear departed Tonkinese. I had to move from Texas to California and be away from her for 9 months before I could come back to get her. My mom was keeping her and said that she kept waiting at the door for me. She would sit at the window and watch the cars and when a car the color of mine would pass by she would get excited and then sadly lay back down when they didn't stop. I cried so much when she told me this. I can definitely feel your sadness.
    I wanted to wish you the best of luck with getting your darling back. I hope the 2 kitties will be best friends.

I should have read your email closer, I didn't notice that your mother is in Iowa (a long way from DC). Northwest and Air Canada both fly into the Saskatoon airport, so you might be able to fly Coda into town. But I am not sure about on your mother's end of the trip.

Emily, how is your sister making the trip from Saskatoon to DC and back?

Here's something she might consider doing if she's driving:

I just did a Mapquest map for driving from Saskatoon to Washington DC and back. The route cuts from Saskatchewan into the US in North Dakota, then southeast into and across Minnesota and Wisconsin to Chicago.. and the reverse on the way back.

Since Iowa is the next state south of Minnesota and west of Illinois, perhaps on return instead of going north to Wisconsin from Chicago she could go west straight across to wherever in Iowa, pick up Coda, then go northwest back across to Saskatchewan.

I did another Mapquest map for the return route from Washington DC through Iowa and then north to MN and on to Saskatoon. Looks like this adds roughly another 140 miles or so to the trip.

Oh, well, it's just a thought..
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

She is flying (it is about a 3 day drive each way and she only has 1 week off).

But maybe if we can get Coda to an airport in Iowa she can be flown directly into Saskatoon...

I so wish that were the case...The only way that those airlines would fly him in (without me being on the plane) is as cargo. In other words, unless I am on the passenger plane he cannot ride on it. I checked into putting him on a cargo flight, to do that, my mother would have to drive him to either Chicago or to Omaha. Both directions are a bit far to drive for her with her recovery. Those Cargo planes do not fly to Saskatoon. In order for him to switch flights, I would have to be at the airport 8 hours from here to switch him (why i have no clue).

Hmm, maybe post in craigslist or something looking for someone flying from Iowa to Saskatoon - I am sure people do it all the time, and see if you an find someone who would be willing to take a little extra "carry-on."
    I've Been Frosted

Some times a flight attendant will transport. Go to the nearest airport and talk to them.
    This week end we are supposed to do a 7 cat transport from Md. to Mass. I'll be handling the last few legs, Jersey to Mass., about 4 hours each way.
    You might want to take a look at the SCAT people or one of the other transport groups.
    GILL & Crew;