Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Legends

Urban Legends

I have to do a project on urban legends/myths that we believe in. I thought this would be really cool project. This one might actually be fun.

I decided to do mine on the japense game called 100 candles. If you don't know what it is it's a game where you get 100 lit candles and you tell a personal story that deals with that paranormal, then you will blow out one candle. After that hundredth candle is blown out, there is suppose to be 100 spirits in the room with you.

So what are some urban legends/myths that you believe in?
    -ErinExotic:]]
    Snowbelle's Catster:

This is one for the people of my favorite state, New Jersey.

Here in Jersey we have an area called the pinelands. It was said that a mother who had 12 children lived there, and her husband was a drunk. She hated her life so she cursed her 13th child and he was born with the head of goat, legs of horse, and mixed with many other animals. He flew outta the chimney and has rarely been seen, but he still lurks somewhere in the Pinelands. I believe he's real, I think it'd be pretty cool to see xD

Quote Originally Posted by snowbelle15 View Post

I decided to do mine on the japense game called 100 candles. If you don't know what it is it's a game where you get 100 lit candles and you tell a personal story that deals with that paranormal, then you will blow out one candle. After that hundredth candle is blown out, there is suppose to be 100 spirits in the room with you.
    Goodness, that would take a LONG time!

Nearby is a small mining town called Rogues Hollow. A young daughter of one of the miners got pregnant and was afraid to let her father find out, so she was able to hide her pregnancy until the birth, at which time she threw the baby off the bridge. Legend says that at midnight you can still hear the baby crying so the bridge was named Crybaby Bridge. It's said that you can also see the young woman on the bridge crying for her baby.

There are many Crybaby Bridge legends all over the U.S. but this is ours. When I was writing freelance, I went there during the day and took photos and also went there at midnight w/an infrared camera, hoping to catch a spirit on film. I also took a video camera and a tape recorder. Nothing ever showed up in audio or video, except mosquitoes. Big ones. After an hour of swatting, I gave up and went home.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

in grew up in an area called BLUFF PARK , Alabama around 20 miles from Birmingham. I lived 1/4 mile from a place called 'LOVER'S LEAP'. i know that lovers leap is found in many areas across the country but this is the one I was raised with. The following story about this legend was taken from the Bluff Park web page.

http://www.bluffparkal.org/history.htm

Lover's Leap has several historical associations and an Indian legend from which the site takes its name. An Indian brave, supposedly grown weary of the attentions of an Indian princess, took her to the high crest where he stabbed her with a bone knife. Suddenly stricken with remorse, he gathered her in his arms and leaped off the bluff.

The other well-known story of Lover's Leap took place in 1827. Colonel Thomas W. Farrar, an Alabama legislator and lawyer, and his new bride, Seraphine, traveled from Cahaba to Elyton by wagon and stopped to camp for several days atop Shades Mountain. Farrar carved the first four lines of Lord Byron's "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage" into a rock at Lover's Leap:

To sit on the rocks, to muse o'er flood and fell, to slowly trace the
    forest's shady scene where things that own not man's dominion dwell,
    and mortal foot hath ne'er or rarely been.

In the early 1930s the inscribed rock was removed and presented to the Masonic Lodge in Elyton, the oldest lodge in Jefferson County and named for Thomas Farrar. After a failed attempt to have the historic inscription returned, Thomas W. Martin, a long-time resident of the mountain, and George B. Ward arranged to have a replica carved on a rock at Lover's Leap.
    Last edited by kokopup; 02-26-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    This is one for the people of my favorite state, New Jersey.

Here in Jersey we have an area called the pinelands. It was said that a mother who had 12 children lived there, and her husband was a drunk. She hated her life so she cursed her 13th child and he was born with the head of goat, legs of horse, and mixed with many other animals. He flew outta the chimney and has rarely been seen, but he still lurks somewhere in the Pinelands. I believe he's real, I think it'd be pretty cool to see xD
    Isn't that the Jersey Devil? (No, not the hockey team!)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Isn't that the Jersey Devil? (No, not the hockey team!)
    Yup - that's him. Every once in a while I hear on the news of another "sighting". I hope he stays in The Pinelands and doesn't decide to visit us here in Delaware!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Wow, how did I manage to forget the name? Yes, it's the Jersey Devil.

That sounds like a interesting legend, snowbelle15. I've always been interested in the parnormal.

Alyssa, Is there any "pictures" of this Jersey Devil?
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver View Post
    That sounds like a interesting legend, snowbelle15. I've always been interested in the parnormal.

Alyssa, Is there any "pictures" of this Jersey Devil?
    Nope, no actual pictures, but I'm sure if you searched google you could find many drawings, sketchings of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Nope, no actual pictures, but I'm sure if you searched google you could find many drawings, sketchings of him.
    There is also a mention of the Jersey Devil in the latest Janet Evanovich novel, Plum Spooky.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I can't think of any myths or urban legends I believe in. The closest thing would be I think there is a chance that there are still a few thylacines left hiding in the forests around Perth.

Niño & Eliza

I can't think of any I believe in.

As a kid I lived in New York, a few miles from the "haunted" home of the Fox Sisters and I was convinced that their story of living in a haunted house was true. Eventually I found out that the whole story was a basically one big lie the sisters got caught up in.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Alysser, the jersey devil is spooky looking. I looked him up to see if there are any pictures and the drawing are creepy.

Flatcoatluver, I've always been interested in the paranormal. I think spirits or ghosts are pretty cool.

I found another one while looking through some websites and this one is in Philadelphia at a prison that is supposedly haunted by the prisoners that died in there:

In Cell Block 12, visitors and workers hear meaningless, far away laughter resound in some of the cells. No source has been found.
    Witnesses report seeing shadowy forms and ghostly figures in corridors and cells. Cell Block 6 has been the site of most of the spectral shapes.
    A locksmith was doing restoration work when he felt he was being watched. He turned around to see who was there and saw no one. Moments later he had the same feeling. When he looked again, he saw a black shadow leap across the corridor. Others have said they feel someone is watching, but haven’t seen anyone or anything. The program director for Eastern State will not stay there overnight.

Creepy stuff, eh?
    -ErinExotic:]]
    Snowbelle's Catster:

I'm fascinated by the Jersey Devil, truthfully. I'm looking up a description right now and sketching my version of what he looks like. I'll post it later.

Another one of my favorites from New Jersey is Clinton RD. Before Cross Castle was knocked down it was even creepier then it is now. But anyway, this road is so scary. The KKK and Devil Worshipors do crazy stuff up there because it's such a remote area. It's a 7 mile stretch of road. There's plenty of ghosts stories, murders too. Weird animals have been seen their like a wolf with red eyes, which isn't entirely weird but they don't have RED eyes and they are not New Jersey. A hairy tall "thing" lurks up there to. My teacher grew up on Clinton Rd and said nothing ever happened to him, but it's a very weird place indeed. Someone even said they saw PANTS walking on the road!! Now, that'd I'd love to see. There's also a car, a black pick-up truck that follows you very closely sometimes, and if you flash your lights at it the people in it will kill you. o_0 It's in West Milford, my dad has offered to drive me up there but I've vowed to myself I will NEVER go on that road.