Thread: Can this be right???

Can this be right???

Marlin has started taking Adequan injections. Someone -- I think here on PT! -- suggested I look into buying it on line and giving him the shots myself. So we went in for the 2d shot today and I asked about this, my vet said she has no problem with giving me a script and selling me the injections, letting me do the shots here at home. I got this info:

Marlin gets .4 mil per shot. That is POINT 4 ml per shot. Vial is 5 ml. One shot visit is $38.

So my math says the vial is 12 shots, and will cost me $475. which is 12 to 14 months.

But I can buy the vial on line for $47!!! OK, so I need the syringes, but those aren't very costly.

Can someone check my math? Is this TRUE? OMG I will go get it on line immediately! WOW!
    Last edited by Freedom; 02-24-2009 at 09:04 PM.

If it is right, run don't walk!
    That's a huge price difference.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Yup, I ordered it and sent in the prescription!

So he gets 4ml/shot and the bottle holds 5ml? That leaves you with a difference of only 1ml per bottle left over. Is there a digit missing somewhere? or maybe my mind just isn't working correctly tonight.

You missed a decimal point. Marlin takes POINT 4 ml per shot -- .4ml per shot. I can get 12 shots out of the one 5 ml vial, and then there is a wee bit over I think.

See? I knew my eyes weren't working last night, lol. Sounds like a great deal! I say go for it!

You have to remember a few things about buying products from your vet and the price differences from online for any single product.

A vet has many THOUSANDS of dollars in loans for schooling that take years to complete the schooling and many years after to pay off the loans.

A vet has many THOUSANDS of dollars (or even a million dollars) in loans for his building (or rent), lights, heat, medical equipment, medical supplies, computers, office equipment, office supplies, phones, phone bills, furniture, cages, payroll for employees, insurance, licensing fees, etc. All these things are necessary to start up the business. There are additional expenses to keep it running week to week.

A vet also has many THOUSANDS of dollars in his pharmacy shelves. A single pharmacy order may well top $1,500 for a small order to resupply the hospital, and that's with discounts for buying bulk! This is for the convienence of owners to get their meds while they are at the hospital with the pet and increases the likelyhood that the meds will be given. This is also so that the vet has the medicine they need to treat the animals that are admitted.

When you get a medicine from the vet you are not just paying for a bottle of medicine.

You are paying for part of the cost of:

1) the years of training that your vet learned in school and years of practial experience to know which med to prescribe for your pet and the side effects of each one and how to properly administer the medication. More than one vet increases the experience, knowledge, and expense.

2) the wages and experience of the staff to help answer questions, help with applying meds if necessary, keep supplies stocked and properly stored, updating files, taking care of invoices/sales, cleaning the cages your pets are staying in, taking your dogs for walks, assisting with your pet's surgery, and monitoring your pet during hospitalization among many other things. More staff team members mean more experience, more time to spend taking care of your pet, and answering you questions, and also more expense.

3) the building, the equipment, the storage space, snow removal, lawn care, building maintenance and repair, equipment maintenance and repair, restocking supplies, etc.

This is just a SMALL tip of the iceburg as to what all is involved with expenses at a vet hospital.

In comparison.....an online pharmacy:

1) has minimal building expenses since they ship directly from warehouses.

2) may only have one actual vet, if any at all on staff for questions from consumers.

3) most likely has part time and minimum wage staff with little or no experience with medications.

4) has no equipement overhead since they do not diagnose anything.

5) will not know if your medications are the right one for your pet and are not able to treat your pet should he/she have a reaction to the medication.

6) Warrantees are limited to money back on product only and some not guaranteed by the manufacturer because they were not purchased from the vet. May not have access to special manufacturer discounts available to vet clients only.

7) may be selling some counterfiet products or selling some products illegally.

8) have little incentive to ensure products are stored properly. Since products are shipped from warehouses they don't even have a hands on dealing with the recieving, storing or shipping of the product.

While most people see that a bottle of medicine can be gotten online for only $$ compared to what it costs from the vet, please remember there is ALOT more involved than just the cost of your medication.

Without profits a veterinarian (and their staff) are out of a job, and you will not have a place to take your pet for help.

Some vets are happy to oblige a client with writing a prescription, and reducing the amount of medicine they have to keep on their shelves. But I can guarantee you that they are raising the price of something else to make up for the lost income!

*sorry for going on so, it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. I've seen many of the bills for our hospital and they are staggering, and our head vet is very frugal!*

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    You have to remember a few things about buying products from your vet and the price differences from online for any single product.

*sorry for going on so, it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. I've seen many of the bills for our hospital and they are staggering, and our head vet is very frugal!*
    I'm just grateful that Sandie's vet has allowed her to get this filled in a way that saves her money. With as many as she willingly takes care of, her vet is an angel for cutting her a break when possible.

Bless you Sandie, for being such an angel to so many pets who otherwise would be in need.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018