Thread: our trip to the vet

our trip to the vet

well, I had to take Harley to the vet today for his last set of shots. I got him ready but had to do a few things first. I went to pick up my check from work. Harley was dancing around the cab of the truck. I rolled the window down to give him something to do. He started putting his paws in the window and was dancing around still. Then he swung around and started peeing all over the seat as I tried to keep him from jumping on me while pee was going everywhere I couldn't help but yell, "what the hell is wrong with you!" After that ordeal I had to turn around because I missed my turn fighting with him. I took an ally and rolled the window back down for him. He happily obliged. First inching a nose out, then a paw. By the time I was pulling into the parking lot, he had half of his body out of the truck. "surely" i though, "he isn"t going to try it, please god, tell me this dog has more since then that" just in case. I grabbed his leash and gave a little tug to let him know I had him. He looked at me with this huge grin on his face and within a second he was out the window as I screamed his name. I hit the brakes, and realizing that by holding the leash I would just be choking him (which wouldn't have been so bad if there wern't witnesses) so i let go and hoped he wouldn't get hurt. I jumped out and he was standing behind the truck staring at me. I could hear a couple poeple a little ways away talking about it. I felt about 2 inches high. I put him back in the truck and pulled into a parking space as he jumped about the cab as happy as he could be. "I hope you're proud of your self" I said. No doubt, he was extremely proud of himself. Keep in mind that this dog has rode in the back of this truck many times without a problem. When we made it to the vet, Harley was beside himself over all the smells. He was scrambling this way and that. Then... he peed. Everywhere. I ran out to the truck to get the towl I had to buy so he wouldn't be laying in his own pee as he wraped me up in the leash. . when I got inside I wiped it up as nonchalontly as I could. We finally got called to the room and the vet had to hold him down to give him his shots because he was so excited. On the way home all I could think was "what have I gotten myself into" I'm really starting to think that maybe I picked out a disfunctional dog, lol.

Oh dear. Never a dull moment with Harley around, huh?
    I am so scared of the dogs jumping out the window. I only roll it down enough that they could stick their nose out if they stretched way up.
    Someone here on PT had their dog fall out the window (I won't name names) but luckily the dog wasn't hurt. It was just very scary.

Well, I'm glad it all ended well. And you didn't have a heart attack in the process.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm really sorry to have to tell you that as I read your post the tears were streaming down my face, that's how much I was laughing. I know it couldn't have been funny for you at the time but you have such a way of recounting the whole ordeal I just had to laugh. I think you should have this article printed in a dog magazine...it's just too funny and the mental image I had was unreal.
    I am sorry you had all that trouble...I hope you'll keep that dog, he'll be a delight for sure...
    Oh, I apologize for laughing so much...

WOW! Now that's one crazy trip! I only roll the window down enough so Eli can put his head out. I dont let them stand on the door of the car either. If its down too much, Zeke will stand on the door and stick his head and shoulders out... So I don't allow it. Bunny doesnt want anything to do with an open window... lol. Glad that Harley wasn't hurt from his jump out!

I think peeing at the Vet's office isnt too unheard of really. One of our dogs did it during an exam.. I can't remember which though. Probably Bunny. They have employees on staff specifically for such accidents.. as I was offered that position while I was in high school. It's just like being in Petsmart.. there's so many smells from different dogs. Eli has peed in Petsmart once.. so I feel your embarrassment!! =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I was in PetSmart and there was a couple of guys with a cocker spaniel. They were looking for something and not paying attention to the dog and it began to poop on the floor. I said - ummm...your dog is pooping. LOL Ooops!! Dare I say "it" happens.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I was in PetSmart and there was a couple of guys with a cocker spaniel. They were looking for something and not paying attention to the dog and it began to poop on the floor. I said - ummm...your dog is pooping. LOL Ooops!! Dare I say "it" happens.
    LOL! Now that's funny! =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

hahaha! yeah, I think from now on, the window will stay up a little more, lol

Quote Originally Posted by shepgirl View Post
    I'm really sorry to have to tell you that as I read your post the tears were streaming down my face, that's how much I was laughing. I know it couldn't have been funny for you at the time but you have such a way of recounting the whole ordeal I just had to laugh. I think you should have this article printed in a dog magazine...it's just too funny and the mental image I had was unreal.
    I am sorry you had all that trouble...I hope you'll keep that dog, he'll be a delight for sure...
    Oh, I apologize for laughing so much...
    lol, it's ok... everyone I told lauphed at me too.

Sounds like Harley really enjoyed his ride! Maybe he needs his own doggy seat belt. Mine don't ride without theirs.