Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: large dog or small dog?

large dog or small dog?

some small dogs are SO cute, then I also like the German shepard, husky, doberman or rottweilar( I know they aren't really vicious unless trained that way) I knew someone that had a rottweilar and I was scared till I saw what a "baby" she was.

so do you prefer big dogs or small ones?

Different sizes have suited me at different times in my life.

As a kid, we had dogs in the 55 - 70 pound range. Perfect for lying on while watching TV, after racing around int he yard for a few hours.

Now, a smaller size dog is fantastic! Dog lies on ME while watching TV!

I'm partial to Shepherds , have had them most of my life. But we also had some toys, some rescues, and a sheltie. I just plain like all dogs I think. The ones I'm not to keen on are the huge mastiff types that drool...I have a queasy stomach and can't look at those if they drool.

I love large dogs. When I was younger, I had a German Shepard/Collie and she was the greatest dog I could of ever wanted. After, I've always liked large dogs.
    -ErinExotic:]]
    Snowbelle's Catster:

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I like the little guys!!! Maybe it's because they tend to have a longer life span, and of course, they can sit on my lap and don't weigh more than I do!!!

I love most all dogs, and if I were to have a big dog, I think it would probably be a Golden or an Old English Sheepdog!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I love all dogs. I've usually had larger dogs in my lifetime though, with the exception of the miniture pinscher we had for 17 1/2 years. But we've always had Labs, German Shepherds, Australian Shepherds and mixed breed medium to large dogs.
    One of these days I'd like to get a small breed dog, but I have to convince Bruce that they are not all yippy dogs. Maybe when that time comes I'll take a trip to Florida and meet up with Traci (WELOVESPUPPIES).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Most of my dogs would be considered large. The few small dogs I've had,
    I considered were my wife's dogs. Without exception they were all
    neurotic.

Make um big thank you.

I prefer bigger dogs.... in the medium-big range... although I have both big and small.. hehe...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

shepgirl I agree--no drool!

I love the look of German Shepards.. some day... also I like , I think they are called English sheep dogs, the ones that are big and have alot of long hair! I just think they are adorable looking. I walk alot, so I want a mean looking dog to take with me, maybe next year I can get one. of course I only want the dog to LOOK mean LOL
    I want the dog to be inside, so I would need a bigger house! and to take walking, dog parks etc. it has been over 30 years since I had a (small) dog as a teenager. what will my cats say! LOL

I like all sizes!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I've had a nice range in sizes. From...
    Shadow at 95 lbs, Jack 45lbs, Micki and Mini are 20ish lbs, Kyra 10 lbs

And from my experience, I've found that I like Jack's size the best. He's small enough to be a lag dog and fit lots of places, but he's sturdy enough that we can play rough. And in agility he's just under 20 inches tall so he only jumps 16, which in my opinion is the best class to be in.

So, I like 'em medium sized!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Medium to large is what I generally prefer. I have considered getting a smaller dog though since a lot of horse stables hiring for live in training positions will accept small dogs but not any other pets. I like spunk and personality so I like terriers. If I do become more stable and think I'll be staying at that type of job for a while I'll look into getting a brussels griffon.

Niño & Eliza

I love all dogs.When I get a dog the size would depend on were I lived and how much time I had to excerise my dog.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Big Dogs all the way. Small dogs are cute but they are too small and most of them seem yappy. I am sure with good training that wouldn't be a problem but big dogs are more fun.

I would love to have a great dane if I could. Right now my big boy, Blue is plenty of dog though. =)

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

I have never had a really large dog, not now or as a child, unless you consider standard poodles large..... I have/had two but they are only in the 50 lb. range. I love to have a dog in my lap and for that reason have tended to stay with smallish dogs. Even thought I love my granddog, Harlee, who is a Swissie and weighs about 95-100 lbs. I can't cuddle with her very well unless I get down on the floor. I will be sticking to small dogs in the future as I am not getting any younger and they are more manageable for me (bathing, etc).