Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He won't eat!

He won't eat!

Binky has been sick the past 2 weeks with reguritation (not necessarily vomiting) and my vet said he might have IBD or parasites (we recently had a flea problem). He got a shot yesterday and some liquid to take, and the vet said he should eat Hill's I/D. Problem is, he WON'T. Will not sniff it or touch it.

I feel bad for him, but I want to follow the doc's instructions with the bland diet. Is there any way I can make it more palatable for him? Or do I just have to wait til he's good & hungry? Don't want to make him sick and don't want to go on puke patrol again...........

Anyone have experience with this?
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

I can't offer no help since I couldn't get Boo to eat the food the vet wanted her on either. Cats are finickey and if they don't like it, they DON'T like it! GOOD LUCK!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Try microwaving the food just a bit so it's lukewarm and has a stronger odor. Sometimes that helps entice a kitty to eat.

If that fails call your vet and ask if it's ok to add small amounts of bland people food (potatoes, boiled white meat chicken etc) to the I/D to entice your cat to eat.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Awwwee poor wittle Binky.. Try some Chicken Broth.. I keep Broth on hand all the time for my babies..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

You could also ask your vet for an appetite stimulant. I went through this a couple times with Taz. We tried the appetite stimulant once and other times I just changed his food to yummy stinky stuff. Taz is supposed to be on the k/d diet, but I just wanted him to eat!!

Good luck, I hope he is eating soon. I know how stressful it is when they won't eat.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I REMEMBER PAYING 30 ODD DOLLARS YERAS AGO FOR MEDICAL SENIOR FOOD FOR MR SCRAPPY, AND MICHAEL THE DREAM KITTEN LOVED IT.
    mR SCRAPPY WOULDNT EAT IT ON A BET.
    THATS SO FRUSTRATING!!!
    AND THATS WHEN 3O DOLLARS WAS A LOT OF MONEY FOR 8 POUNDS!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Maybe mix a bit of stinky wet food in with it at first? Check with your vet.

When I started Oscar and Cole on the Omega 3 oil, I would mix it in their usual wet food (Royal Canin kd). They wouldn't touch it. So I resorted to adding a bit of the Fancy Feast junk food - it worked! And now they eat it without anything added (except the Omega 3-6 oil).
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but, alas, I do not. It's been my experience that when my Fur Posse decides that they don't like something, that's it. No further effort necessary. Prayers are going up, however, that Binky will have a change of heart and eat and be strong.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

You might try other brands of similar diets. Most of the major pet food manufacturers who make veterinary diets make a gastrointestinal formulal as well and your cat may like a different brand better.

Ask your vet if they can order a different brand or refer you to another clinic in the area that carries a different brand.

I'll try some of these tricks and see if it works; I feel so sorry for him.

Thank you all........

=^..^=

I

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Try microwaving the food just a bit so it's lukewarm and has a stronger odor. Sometimes that helps entice a kitty to eat.
    That's a great idea. Also ask the vet if it's okay to give him human baby food. Chicken, turkey, veal, beef, ham -- all bland. Just make sure there is no onion or garlic in the ingredients.

When our kitties lose their appetite, baby food sometimes gets them more interested.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Well, I called the vet after my husband went home for lunch and reported how pitiful Binky was. He left me a message saying it was okay to mix his favorite food with the i/d. So I warmed up the offending food and added his favorite (only a small bit so he won't throw it up).

Poor guy was hungry!

I'll try the broth trick, too, just to add a little interest.

Thank all of you for your good thoughts and suggestions!

=^..^=

I

Thats great news! Happy to hear he's eating again. Hope he feels better.
    -ErinExotic:]]
    Snowbelle's Catster:

Good Good so Glad to hear Binky has some food in the tummy.. Oh yes the broth is good too if you baby is constipated..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Baby chicken food is the best bribe food out there!!! Always works with the Clan, when we have to get one of them to eat!!! If they do not eat the baby food, I know we have a BIG problem!!! Good luck with your fella...