Thread: dogs licking furniture

Question dogs licking furniture

does anyone know why dogs lick furniture is this is normal all 3 0f mine do it
    clynn

I have never had a dog that licks furniture, but continuous licking is normally obsessive/anxious behavior.

What kind of dogs do you have?

What kind of exercise do you give your dogs ( physical or mental)? You could try a daily walk, run ( assuming your dogs are physically able), Frisbee, fetch, etc....this would physically tire your dogs. It may be hard to walk all the dogs at once so you have to pick the right activity that fits your life style.

Many dogs, a lot of times working/herding dogs, need a good amount of mental stimulation. For this you can try basic obedience or tricks using either a clicker paired treats or s simple "good" or "yes" paired with a treat. You can also purchase toys to keep your dogs thinking. Such as, a buster cube, a bone ( I like to use cow cheek), or anything else that makes them think to get what they want. There are also a good number of games that you can play with your dog. Such as using treats to hide around the room, make sure you are telling your dog to sit and stay before and during the hiding. Make sure your dog stays the entire time, this is also teaching your dog control. Once you are done hiding treats, give your dog the release word "ok" to let them use their brains and noses to find the hidden treats.

If you pair fetch of Frisbee with obedience you can get burn both physical and mental energy at the same time. For instance, Fido has to sit in order for you to throw the ball. This is also good obedience training for toy driven dogs.

I hope that this helps! Good luck!

Not sure on dogs, but 3 of my kitties (all siblings) will lick people, furniture, clothing and just about anything. They don't do it obsessively and since they are the only ones that do it I just figured it was hereditary and don't get too worried about it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022