Thread: walking the hellians

walking the hellians

so I've been trying to get more walks in lately and it has helped alot with the dogs behaviors. I've been getting up at 5:40 on Mon. Wed. and Fri. when my fiance goes to work (i have to get my daughter ready so he can take her to the new baby sitter) so I just stay up and clean the house. Then, I take the dogs for a long walk around 9. I've been working with the boys on walking well and I put Shy on the leash as well, so I had Harley in one hand and Brownie and Shy on the other. She does good without one, but I would like for her to stay closer to me when walking. Plus it is a distraction to the boys. My problem is that I like to walk at a pritty fast past to drain the boys energy better since they are so young, but poor little Shy got so tired. Halfway through the walk, she got to where I felt like I was pulling her along with the leash so I felt bad and let her off. She lagged behind a little bit but finally made it home. I want to be able to walk her along with the boys on a leash but I'm afraid it will be too hard on her. She's going on 10 now trying to keep up two pups. I'm trying to think of a good way to solve this problem.

Aww, I remember those days. When my Rottie Shadow got to be 9+ she didn't want to walk at the pace the younin's would either. The only solution I can suggest is walking them seperately, even though I know is a bit more inconvienent. Take the boys for a short face paced walk, then come back and get Shy and do a lighter walk?

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I don't know how you feel about backpacks, but that would be a good tool to enhance the boys' walk. That way you can walk a little slower for the older one and the boys will get a good work out also. Make sure that you don't put too much weight in their backpacks and you have a backpack that is right for your dog.

Another plus to walking with a backpack is that it gives the dogs a job to do. They get so proud when they can help you out.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Many people take multiple walks, as do I. I do at least twice a day: a very long one in the morning and a shorter, more leisurely walk in the evening. The two big ones go on both walks. The little one goes on the leisurely walk in the evening.

Everyone wins, and I keep fit It does take time, though, so I don't know how well that would work for your schedule.