Thread: Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

Does any have experience with this condition? I brought Phinehas in today for a heart ultrasound because the vet heard a heart murmur when I had taken him in for the bloody diarrhea he was having. It was enough of a concern to get an ultrasound scheduled with KAK's vet who specializes in cats and she diagnosed him with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (thickening of the heart wall). I'm so upset. I held myself together until I got into my car and I cried and cried. She wants me to take his pulse a couple of times over the next week and email her what I'm getting since he was nervous at the hospital and hence had an elevated heart rate. If his heart rate is the same at home as it was today in the hospital...that will be of concern.
    I just hope and pray that this is not progressive, because if it is, the prognosis is not good and usually ends in heart failure. She wants to check it again in 6 months (if the pulse readings over the next week seem good)...so I ask all PTers to send prayers his way that it doesn't progress.

I'm just so upset I don't know what else to write right now...thanks all.

How old is Phinehas? My cat Pigeon was diagnosed w/it mid-October. She's 19 years old and had never had a sick day until then. Like you, I was frantic and because of her advanced years, my vet said that the prognosis wasn't good, that she could go at any time but here we are 4 months later and she's doing great. She sleeps a lot but I told my vet that I don't expect her to do cartwheels at this age.

Pigeon is on Enalapril, Atenolol and Lasix, which are beta blockers and diuretics. When the shock wears off and you can gather your thoughts, talk to your vet about these meds for your cat. I don't take Pidge's pulse; I can tell by her breathing whether or not she's in distress. When I first took her in, her heart rate was at 400! Can you believe it? 400! My vet took her heart rate 3 times because it was so incredibly high. After starting her on the meds, it came down to 137 or so.

As I said, she's doing great now and I don't kid myself that I'll have her forever because of her age but she's comfortable, walks up and down the stairs several times a day, can jump up on the sofa and bed, her appetite is good, her litterbox habits are fine, she drinks the right amount of water. So take heart. Phinehas may do just as well as my Pidgelet. We'll send up prayers that all will go well for him and you. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Mary beat me to the punch, I was going to ask your cat's age, too!!

Our Riley, was diagnosised at 8 months with a Grade IV murmur, and left ventricular hypertrophy. Riley turned 8 years old in August. He has not had any symptoms since he was diagnosised, and take no meds. He does get a cardiac ultrasound every other year!!! And is due this year!! The only bad thing about the ultrasound, Riley gets his chest shaved!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Shilo is on heart medicine (enalapril and lasix), but I never had an ultrasound done....so I don't have a "proper" dianosis. Shilo is about 5 years old.

Prayers for Phineas.

Thanks for the feedback all. Medusa...400?? wow, thanks for sharing Pigeon's story. Give her some gentle kisses for me. Phinehas is only 3 years 7 months old. My vet did mention beta blockers as a treatment depending on how severe the condition is.

kb2yjx, that's great that Riley is doing so well! I hope this is the case with Phinehas. Depending on what the heart rates are when I take them here, my vet may want to see him again and prescribe meds, or just wait for 6 months to do a recheck. I'm really hoping for the latter and if all I have to do is check it every few months or every year, that would make me happy.

Jen, how is Shilo doing on the medicine?

Karen, I was hoping to hear some good news. I'm so sorry to hear that Phinehas has this condition. Hopefully his pulse rate will be more normal at home and he'll continue to do well so that he won't need any meds. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. I'm only a call away if you ever need to talk to some one. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry to hear this. But I would not become desperate. First: let's see whether his pulse is as bad at home as it was at the vet's. I know that MY blood pressure is higher when I'm at the doctor's and I am sure deep inside every kitty the vet is time for panic.
    Second: I know at least one kitty here who gets beta blockers since about 5 years and is just fine.
    Again: all my best wishes for you and Phinehas.

Karen, don't listen to your vet when he tells you to wait and see and come back 6 months later....
    I hate to scare you, but that is exactly what they told me about Sydney! 2 months later he died .
    I still am so mad at that vet; she wanted to wait 6 months before giving him meds
    Here is Sydney's story:
    http://users.telenet.be/bernardgabriels/sydney.htm

If I were you, I would demand those pills right away, it might save Phinegas!! Good luck
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Shilo is doing well.

He had developed a heart murmur ( a high number, but I can't remember exactly). He would tire out so much that if he took a flight of stairs he would collapse. And his breathing was so labored you could see him breathing from his belly. Then he started the meds. His energy and breathing are back to normal and even the murmur does not sound as high as it did before.

I think I read on Mitzi's thread that your boy is having an ultrasound. Will remember him in prayers, and I will light a candle for him in our group PET T....

Did he say what grade it was? (1-6) My Spike has Grade 1 (evaluate in a year, look for any change, no meds required.) The grade will have an effect on the recommended therapy.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I actually didn't get a grade for the heart murmur. I was instructed to take Phinehas's heart rate while he was calm and email them to my vet. His heart rate at the vet was 180-200+ which is high, and (hopefully I did it right) when I took it at home, he was between 100 and 120 which is normal. I emailed that info to my vet and she said it was fine and no meds needed. I'm praying that it will just consistently stay where it is with no or little progression - just monitoring. He did have thickening of the heart wall though, so that startled me a bit, but as long as he's still acting himself, I'm going to try not and worry about it since I'm sure my babies pick up on my stress feelings!

I can only imagine how upset you were. I was stunned when Giz was diagnosed with her heart murmur She is on enalapril and doing fine with it so far. ((((HUGS))))) for you..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Here is a link that I found helpful when my Pidge was first diagnosed.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/felcardi.html
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11