Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's your company doing?

How's your company doing?

I see it on the news everyday that companies are laying off people.. make me wonder how's YOUR company doing?

I work for a pharmaceuticals company. It is doing okay. While we don't get any raise right now, we still get our bonus... Most importantly, they do not lay off anyone. We do have to watch out budget more carefully, re-prioritize things and hold off on certain projects.. Other than that, it's business as usual. We do, however, feel the affects of the economy in an indirect way.. like our vendors/contract manufacturers are laying off their people, so it takes longer for us to receive our orders, etc..

Our board of directors did make a promise that if everything is going well as it is hoped, everyone'll be getting a raise in June, which will be prorated back to Jan 1st!! Right now, it seems too good to be true, so we'll have to wait and see.

How's your company coping with the economy downfall? Do you notice any changes in the way they operate?, and if you don't mind to share, what type of company/industry are you working for?

Thanks ~Jessie~

The plastic factory I work at is getting along ok. We have a few people laid off and no overtime, but thank God, are working. We were suppose to be shutdown over the holidays but worked. It's a shame so many are losing their jobs.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I lost my job at the end of November and am STILL hunting for a job. It is absolutely ridiculous. Everything available right now is mainly medical jobs (registered nurses, LPN's, etc) and part time minimum wage jobs. I worked for an outdoor retailer called Sportsman's Warehouse, similar to Cabela's - supplies items for campers, fisherman, hunters, etc. While I was employed with the company there was talk that our store was on the list to be shut down. They did shut down the store about 35 miles north of the one I worked at. I'm sure it won't be long until it does. Our inventory wasn't being replenished and they cut back on a lot of purchasing. I also noticed that a lot of items were being marked on clearance, more than normal. I wish August would get here a little faster so I could go back to school to better my chances of getting a secure, well-paying job.

My boyfriend is a welder and his place of employment recently laid off over half of the employees - anyone who has been there 20+ years or making over a certain amount. The company is called International Thermal Systems and they make large industrial ovens. Ovens used by beer & soda companies to place labels on cans- they make ovens for other uses also. Luckily, since he's fairly new to the company and isn't being paid quite as much as others they kept him....for now. If he looses his job we'll be in BIG trouble - he made twice what I made when I was employed. It really sucks for him because now he has to finish the jobs of those who got cut, plus his pay has been frozen and he won't be receiving the decent raise he was anticipating on getting.

I kind of wish I was a little kid again, so none of this would be on my mind and causing me extreme stress! To those who still have jobs I hope you don't loose them and please don't complain about your job either....at least you have one.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Six Flags is apparently on the list of going Bankrupt this year. They most likely will close some of the less popular parks, but our park was voted "Best Park" so it will definitely not be closed. They wasted SO MUCH money on the stupid "Dark Knight" ride last year it was terrible. But we're still at the top, and my department got a raise this year for being the best entertainment dep. in all the parks Six Flags has always had money issues but the slower parks aren't gonna be able to stay afloat this year I'm afraid and many people will loose their jobs

My boyfriend works for Lincoln Electric. They have been laying off people for a couple weeks now. Mike is saying that they laid off people who have not accepted "early retirement", and they already laid off all in Marketing & IT, also, and if not enough people retire or something towards that, they will let go all under 3 years of experience, and it would include Mike. I am hoping it will not happen. That company would be dumb enough to let him go, he is one of their best, hard working people at that company.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I work for a company that manages homeowners associations. Surprisingly we have not laid anyone off in a while. I'd like to say I feel secure in my position, but in this company NOBODY should feel safe. I always joke that I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was fired.
    I am one of the accountants. We process the associations financial reports and deal with the CPA's at year ends for review and tax returns. There are three of us, one is my boss and the other is a temp. So if anyone was to go it'd be the temp.
    I was wanting to get a job closer to home (of course I've been saying this for about 3 years now) but that's going to have to wait. I'll deal with the commute for now.
    Bruce is in real estate and mortgages. So his work is very slow. He is basically self employed so no fear of a lay off. But no work means no money.

I was just saying that I will NOT complain about my job and I am just thankful that I have one.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am an HR Consultant with a number of clients - small to mid-sized private companies. Medical, manufacturing, distribution. No more retail. They closed.

All are suffering. I have laid off too many people and it breaks my heart. It is part of the job but I hate doing it.

If you have a job the only question you should ask your boss is.."what else can I do to help the company?"

It is a jungle out there.

The company I work for sent out a email recently saying things are good and they foresee no problems. They said since we can move so much more product than trains, trucks and other transport methods, so much cheaper that things will really have to get bad to effect us... However, that could be them just putting on a good front.

To me it sounds like they have a lot of boats tied up and are having a problem crewing up the ones that are running.. a shortage of people to run the boats seem to be their biggest probelm.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm in telecom and I have seen alot of my coworkers laid off the last year and a half. I thank god everyday that I still have my job. I feel so bad for everyone who is losing their job these days. It's a horrible horrible thing and I pray that they will find work soon, and that the economy will turn around sooner rather than later.

My husband works in Audio/Vidio and his clients are the disgustly rich, they are still so, business is booming. But no bonues this year.
    I work for two eye Dr's. People still need of eyesight so I am ok. Also no bonus, but a steady paycheck.
    My daughter works for a retail food store, they are doing well. Has a pet sitting business as well.
    My oldest son is an IT, doing well. Also Navy Reserve.
    Middle son is a waiter in a 5 star resturant, doing well. Has a second job at the Olive Garden, where business is very brisk.
    Another son works for a plant nursery, is being called to work early. Does odd landscaping on the side as well. His wife to be works for a phone company and is being sent to the Phillipians for three weeks for training.
    All four kids have second jobs which vary greatly in hours spent working. But at least they are trying to stay ahead of the game.
    So far we are ok. But you just never know.
    My neighbor lost his job,worked for a bank.
    The medical profession is very secure, people still get sick, how sad that is but if you are a nurse you have it made.

My husband works for a small web development firm. A year ago they had about 10 employees and were doing really well, now they've laid off all but three. Luckily my husband is one of the remaining three. He's already been told that the other two will be laid off before he does, if it comes to that. Right now he's working on a major project for a BIG company and they have already signed on for another year. The client has made it clear that Justin is the only one they want on the project and they want him 40 hours a week. So right now he has pretty decent job security. His pay was cut back a few months ago though.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I work for a non-profit, and we are certainly struggling as many people and Foundations are limiting their donations. :::sigh:::

This month, all full time office staff has been asked to take one day off without pay. This will help us with some bills. It is certainly a sacrifice, but no one has outwardly complained. I know that everyone is grateful for their jobs and that we haven't had to permanently cut any positions or services. But it is very scary and who knows what is going to happen in the near future.

A friend of mine was "laid off" from the warehouse of a major women's clothing store. He had been there for 10 years, and this is the second time this has happened to him. This time is permanent though. He is packing up and moving 3 hours north to take care of his aging parents since there are no jobs available.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I work for a company that distributes neon sign supplies to the people who sell parts to sign installers. There are only a few companies in the U.S. to compete with.

Unfortunately, neon is being replaced by LED lights in a lot of situations, so we are being hit with a double whammy. (The bosses didn't move into the LED sales until recently).

We have had no lay-offs, but some have had their hours cut, some have had their pay rate cut. Purchases are strictly monitored. Cash receipts are down. The bosses have made personal loans of over a quarter of a million dollars to pay invoices and keep us afloat. In the 20 years I've been here, it's never been this bad.

Personally, I'm OK. I work 3 days a week and could live on my Social Security if I had to. But I feel for those who have families to support in these lousy economic times.

*crosses fingers* So far, so good. I work for a private pharma company who is always pretty tight with cash, so they have a sizeable "war chest". A lot of groups are getting outsourced, but not Analytical (my group) so far. I don't know about raises or bonuses; they give those out in March.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I was laid off on October 3rd from a direct mail marketing company. It had slowed down drastically and from what I hear from friends that still work there, they have now laid off so many people they are shorthanded to finish the business they are getting.

I have had I think a total of 4 interviews, including one that I have later today, since being laid off. I have applied for countless jobs.. I can't even remember any more how many I've put my name in for. I'm just keeping a job log as I apply and when I get a phone call at least I can reference the application. The interview I have today is with a medical clinic so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it, because it sounds like it would be a pretty stable job.