Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bum Genius cloth diapers

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Bum Genius cloth diapers

Ok, I remember a couple people saying they used these...are they really that awesome? I have seen them online, and they are about $20 a piece! I'm willing to go that route if someone can tell me what's so awesome about them. All I know is that they are cute as a button.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about cloth diapers, but I saw this site listed by a Facebook friend and thought you might want to take a look:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/

Just wanted to bump this up...thanks for that link, by the way!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I always used cloth diapers and didn't have the diaper service that goes with that. I've heard many moms complain that disposables give their babies rashes versus cloth. Also disposables seem to make it harder to toilet train the baby cause they don't feel the wet so it doesn't bother them.
    I would still go with the cloth, hemp preferably from what I've heard about the softness and lack of rashes.
    I know how easy and simple disposables must be and it saves time on laundry but I think the laundry is cheaper than the disposables.
    Guess it all depends on what a mom needs most or wants.

My BF's sister swears by them. She also decided to sew extra inserts, so wet diapers don't necessarily need to have the outer cover changed every time. She just went and bought the same type of material from the fabric store. She has said that they have held up very well, even with having to soak them. She doesn't use bleach though.. she uses a solution with Borax and I think vinegar, but I'm not too sure.

Hi Kari, I cloth diapered for about 15 months (with a couple month break in the middle). I have 2 bum genius in our stash, but they are not really my favorite. The tabs are pretty flimsy and tend to curl up and catch on the baby's clothes. I have heard that they sell (or maybe under warranty give) a replacement tabs that you can sew on yourself. I'm sketchy on the details on that because I haven't done it for my two diapers, but definitely look into that before purchasing.

That said, I LOVE pocket diapers, and for me that was the only way to go (I tried a few of everything before I settled on that). And my favorite brand is Happy Heinys. Lydia still fits in a size Medium, I paid about $15/diaper, and the tabs are wide and no problems.

I really love cloth diapers, and am so thankful that we chose to do it. The key to our success I believe is that I never felt under pressure to do it. If I got stressed and overwhelmed, I would take time off and go back to 'sposies until I was ready to undertake it again. Another key is routine! The routine that worked for us was to throw the diapers in at night, chuck them in the dryer first thing in the morning, and then dump them in the diaper basket when they were dry. If I had time and energy, I would pre-stuff them, and if not then I would stuff as I went.

Sorry this is a novel, but definitely if you have any questions let me know and i will try to answer! Best of luck and happy diaper shopping!

Awesome! I just have a hard time with paying $18 a diaper, it just seems crazy. Unless you can get by with 10 diapers for years. I just don't know, I'll have to check it out, for sure...

I am happy to read about this interest in cloth diapering. If any of you sew, you can make the pocket diapers yourself - and customize them with the features you like best. I eventually made one that looks most like the Happy Heiny brand with those features (big square tabs, velcro all the way across the front, fleece lining, wide pockets) I made the pocket diapers for my granddaughters and am sure we saved lots of money so far - plus they are so cute!! Each one took me about an hour to complete. Let me paste in a few of my favorite sources:
    http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/Diapers.html
    http://www.diapersewing.com/hbpocketinstructions.htm
    http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/pocket.php
    http://www.thediaperhyena.com/reap.htm
    http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/index.php
    http://verybaby.com/cloth-diaper-fabric
    http://www.celticclothswholesale.com/
    http://www.diapercuts.com/
    http://www.acutabovefabrics.com/stor...lt.asp?Cat=PUL

If I remember correctly, I am thinking that the diapers cost me about $6-8 each for materials. This was several years ago. I think I made about 20 of them in two sizes. You can sew your own pocket liners, too. I purchased most everything online at one or more of these sites. I sometimes found cute fabric at Ebay, too. Hope some of you get inspired to stitch your own or get someone to do it for you (mom, grandma, etc) There are also some work-at-home moms (WAHM's) who can sew these for you.

PS: I am retired from home sewing diapers
    Last edited by sirrahbed; 01-31-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    Hope some of you get inspired to stitch your own or get someone to do it for you (mom, grandma, etc).
    That is the best news I've heard in awhile! I will definitely look into this and commission someone to make them for me. It'll be so much cheaper than buying them brand new. Thank you for those links!

I love the pocket diapers, like Anna said. I don't think I could ever do prefolds. BumGenius are my favorite. I love the Suedecloth lining, it's much softer and nicer then the fleece of my FuzziBunz. I don't have any Happy Heiny's, they have fleece lining like the FuzziBunz so I never bought any. As of yet I haven't had any problems with the tabs though I have read complaints about them.

The BG have always fit Nathan well too, the FB often leak simply because they don't fit his legs as well. A problem I've never had with the BG.

$18 per diaper is expensive, but they'll last. I have 2 dozen of them so I spent $432 on them. You'll spend that on disposables within the first 9 months. Like Debbie said too, you can make them cheaper if you can sew. Also if they're taken care of they may last through more than one baby. It doesn't cost too much to wash them and I dry them outside in the sun so I don't have the added expense of drying them in the dryer.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

We used a diaper service both times. I loved having one less thing to
    worry about. I loved it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

One of my regrets was not using cloth diapers. Glad to hear you are doing it!!

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix View Post

$18 per diaper is expensive, but they'll last. I have 2 dozen of them so I spent $432 on them. You'll spend that on disposables within the first 9 months. Like Debbie said too, you can make them cheaper if you can sew. Also if they're taken care of they may last through more than one baby. It doesn't cost too much to wash them and I dry them outside in the sun so I don't have the added expense of drying them in the dryer.
    I love drying things outside! I will definitely consider the BumGenius and the Happy Heiny. What size(s) did you get? They lasted your son's entire diapering time? If that's the case, it seems like a no brainer to go that route. I was looking at the "one size" diapers from BumGenius. I do plan on using disposables for outings and stuff, and we sell chlorine free diapers where I work, so I figure I'll give those a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    One of my regrets was not using cloth diapers. Glad to hear you are doing it!!

Yeah, my mother is really excited that I'm going that route. I'm going to at least try to go a more natural route for everything, from bedsharing/co-sleeping to glass bottles and cloth diapers. Of course, I have no idea how I'll feel once little one is here.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    I love drying things outside! I will definitely consider the BumGenius and the Happy Heiny. What size(s) did you get? They lasted your son's entire diapering time? If that's the case, it seems like a no brainer to go that route. I was looking at the "one size" diapers from BumGenius. I do plan on using disposables for outings and stuff, and we sell chlorine free diapers where I work, so I figure I'll give those a try.
    I have the one-sized diapers from BumGenius and medium FuzziBunz. The mediums fit Nathan when he was about 4 months old and they still fit with room to grow. I used Seventh Generation chlorine free diapers in the early months and really liked them. They're hard to find around here though so once Nathan was older I started using Huggies for the occasions I actually put him in a deposable. I'd probably still be using the chlorine free diapers if they were easier to find. My grocery store sells other 7th Gen. products, but not their diapers yet, I'm hoping they'll have them before I have another baby.

I use and love Seventh Generation wipes! I order them in bulk from Amazon. I may go with cloth wipes when we have another baby though, we'll see.

The inserts take a long time to dry so you may want to either buy or sew some extra inserts for the diapers. The diapers themselves dry pretty quickly.

Also the laundry soap you use on your diapers is important. I use http://Charlie's Soap. I've heard good things about http://Allen's Naturally too.

Also you can't use diaper rash ointment with cloth diapers so keeping disposables around incase of a rash is a good idea. Rashes aren't too common with cloth though! Nathan's really never had a diaper rash. He's gotten a little red a few times and we've put rash ointment and a disposable on him just so it didn't turn into a rash and it never has.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla