Thread: Strange dog

Strange dog

A few years ago, I got a dog from the animal shelter as a puppy. I didn't really do much puppy testing, I just kind of went in there and choose the one I fell in love with. Unusual little dog, has a limp and an underbite, has the strangest habits(like taking a bite of food out of her food bowl, taking it to the other room, eating that little bite, then going back for more), but I love her. However, even now, years later, I have some problems when it comes to training her.

First off, she is very aloof, she HATES treats and toys. I've tried so many different kinds of treats, and each time, she just spits them out. I've tried using her food as a treat, even that she spits out and just stares at. She is impossible to train with anything but praise, since nothing interests her. Because of this, it takes a loooong time to teach her anything new, cause she can't really be lured into doing what I want her to. And as for not liking toys, that causes problems, cause all she does when in the house is lie there, bored. I take her for daily walks, I let her outside to romp and play with my other dogs, but inside, she practically sulks.

Another thing, she is impossible to potty train. She never goes in the house or the kennel, but she also never goes when she's outside. When she does, she's always sneaky about it, as though she's afraid someone will see. I never thought dogs could be modest like that O.o And no matter how long you sit outside with her, she still won't go. I've tried every thing trainers have told me, nothing works. I'm to the point where I just let her outside unsupervised to do her business, and let her back in half an hour later.

Also, thinking maybe she would be happier just living outside, I've tried letting her live out in our dog pen, where she has lots of room, can do whatever she wants, and can be with the other dogs, and just bring her inside for a short time during the day. She doesn't like that either, she digs out of the fence in a matter of an hour and is back at my door step.

I have never dealt with a dog as strange as her. Do I just have an impossible dog, or am I doing something wrong in caring for her?

Any idea on a breed or breed mix? Sometimes that gives clues to behavior.

What kind of things do interest her? Does she like to chew? Or get interested in things that make noise?

If she's not being destructive when she's inside "acting bored" then I wouldn't worry about it - she obviously likes being inside with you, seeing how the "living outside" experiment went.

If your yard is fenced, or she's hooked up to a run or something that will keep her secure, I don't see a problem with putting her outside for a half hour "potty break" if that's what it takes to keep her housebroken.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Any idea on a breed or breed mix? Sometimes that gives clues to behavior.

What kind of things do interest her? Does she like to chew? Or get interested in things that make noise?

If she's not being destructive when she's inside "acting bored" then I wouldn't worry about it - she obviously likes being inside with you, seeing how the "living outside" experiment went.

If your yard is fenced, or she's hooked up to a run or something that will keep her secure, I don't see a problem with putting her outside for a half hour "potty break" if that's what it takes to keep her housebroken.
    She's a sheltie mix, but that's all I really know. She was just a stray I found at the humane society.

She's terrified of anything that makes squeaker noises or any kind of sound, and she doesn't chew on anything. I've tried several kinds of chewing treats, in order to help clean her teeth, but she has no interest in any of them. The only time she's every chewed on anything was one time when she tore up a blanket.

I suppose you're right. I just can't help but think something is wrong when she does nothing but lie there and lick her paws. And the moment I head towards the door at all, even if I'm not going to it, she charges towards it and scratches at it as though she wants to go outside. But then she just comes right back in.

I don't put her in the fenced area of the yard, since she never leaves the property. Never had a problem with her wandering off or getting into something she shouldn't even when I let her out unsupervised.

Oh, thanks for answering the questions. Yes, her behavior fits with the Shelties I have known very well. I wouldn't worry about her being bored - she's probably just 'content" if all her "sheep' - yes, that's you - are in their spots. A skritch or two now and then, and she'll be happy. One of the Shelties I knew never even understood he was a dog - when other dogs tried to play with him, he'd just try to "herd" them into a corner. It never went well!
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, I'm glad to know that's pretty normal behavior then. I've never owned shelties, so I know it was common behavior. I was afraid she was just weird.

Outdoors, she makes it very clear she's a herder. She sometimes tries to herd the cats. xD Its hilarious to watch, especially if she wants to herd several at once.

What treats, specifically, have you tried?

Many dogs dislike biscuit/wheat-heavy treats like dog cookies. My Peke refuses to eat them. I don't blame him. He's a carnivore by nature. So, whenever people tell me their dog doesn't like treats, about 98% of the time, they're referring to cookies, biscuits, etc.

To this day, I've never really seen a healthy dog refuse a fresh piece of boiled chicken, liver, beef, lamb, duck, ham, etc. Have you tried real meat? If not, do it!

Also, re: potty training. Your plan sounds absolutely fine to me. That's how Giselle is potty trained, more or less. I release her into the yard every few hours and bring her back in about 20 minutes later. That's how she was raised at the race track, and that's how she understands potty training at home. No big deal

Re: general behavior: Okay, honestly, your dog sounds perfect. She doesn't wander, she doesn't chew, she isn't hyperactive. She sounds wonderful! However, if you want to engage her in something exciting, consider taking her for a jog or entering obedience/agility/flyball/herding classes. Shelties are awesome awesome dogs. You will go far with her once you understand what does and doesn't motivate her

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    What treats, specifically, have you tried?

Many dogs dislike biscuit/wheat-heavy treats like dog cookies. My Peke refuses to eat them. I don't blame him. He's a carnivore by nature. So, whenever people tell me their dog doesn't like treats, about 98% of the time, they're referring to cookies, biscuits, etc.

To this day, I've never really seen a healthy dog refuse a fresh piece of boiled chicken, liver, beef, lamb, duck, ham, etc. Have you tried real meat? If not, do it!

Also, re: potty training. Your plan sounds absolutely fine to me. That's how Giselle is potty trained, more or less. I release her into the yard every few hours and bring her back in about 20 minutes later. That's how she was raised at the race track, and that's how she understands potty training at home. No big deal

Re: general behavior: Okay, honestly, your dog sounds perfect. She doesn't wander, she doesn't chew, she isn't hyperactive. She sounds wonderful! However, if you want to engage her in something exciting, consider taking her for a jog or entering obedience/agility/flyball/herding classes. Shelties are awesome awesome dogs. You will go far with her once you understand what does and doesn't motivate her
    I've tried soft treats, cheese, meat, random table scraps, chicken liver, all that stuff most dogs love. My other dogs will do ANYTHING for a piece of turkey. The only thing she's shown even a slight interest in are the little alphabet cookies you buy by the pound at Petco. She'll at least take one and put it in her mouth, chew it, but will then spit it out and just stare at it. She's also a picky eater with her regular food. It has to be the kind you get at costco, and I have to put it in a cup with some water, and nuke it in the microwave until its warm and stinky before she'll even TOUCH it. She's just picky.

Okay, good ^_^ Whenever people talk about house training a dog, they always mention how you should keep them on a leash, train them the word, all that stuff, and to never leave them unattended cause you won't know if they went or not. According to some people, my method of house training is very bad, but she's pretty impossible to train the traditional way.

I guess I'm just so used to dogs like my german shepherd and my other mutt who CONSTANTLY need to be amused and entertained. Really, Lyra is pretty low maintinence compared to those guys. xP

I do take her for a daily walk, but I would really like to teach her some minor agility(it would have to be light, because of her limp), though I have no clue how to teach it. I definately look into joining a class for it though, it would be great fun for both of us, I'm sure.

Sounds like a nice mellow dog to me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Many times we tend to project our human emotions onto dogs ... "She must be bored!" ... when actually dogs have much simpler needs. She is probably just secure and content.

Your housetraining sounds perfectly fine. Whatever works. I have known several dogs that will not "go" if anyone is watching them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Well, Albino, for the majority, I would certainly agree with the replies you've received. What you may perceive as "sulking" or "boredom" is likely just your low maintenance dog content with it's pack and lifestyle.

This isn't a guaranteed diagnosis though. You didn't mention any veterinary regimens or health concerns (with the exception of the limp), which could play a significant factor. Perhaps the dog doesn't like eating because of teeth issues, or bad digestion? The dental situation although doesn't appear entirely plausible, since you've obviously attempted to feed sustenance with a good variation of textures, ingredients, and even temperature

If you're unhappy, or concerned with your dogs average behavior, perhaps it's the home or environment that generates it. Have you exposed your pet to different habitats, or does she generally remain in a generic vicinity? Does she respond unusually, or atypical to foreign environments? How does she react to changes in her home; rearranged furniture, visits from new people and animals, lawn maintenance? Does she have trouble socializing with strangers or with your other dogs?

If things like this bother her, she may just have a confidence problem, which could be the answer to the 'going' issue.