Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista - Updated for anyone interested

Windows Vista - Updated for anyone interested

I will soon be taking delivery of a laptop using Windows Vista Home Premium. Anyone have anything positive to say about Vista?
    Last edited by ChrisH; 02-06-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Its a total redesign of Windows
    It has better security, although at a cost
    Its pretty

Thanks for your input Reggie.

No-one else? Boy am I going to be having fun.

Well if it's the 64bit Vista then no I don't have anything positive to say about it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I have Vista and I have no idea what people complain about it. I love it! Its easy to use and I've have had little compatability issues (and the program I expected to have issues works perfectly). I was expecting major headaches (such as the compatability issue) and was pleasantly surprised. There was a small learning curve (like where to find the settings for wallpaper and changing your color themes) but after a few days of playing, its all very logically organized and easy to use.

The newer version of Word is much better too. My college age daughter thinks its a million times better than the old Windows platform.

No problems here

Hi Chris. I have been using it on my new laptop for a few months now and have had no problems adjusting to it. Maybe if you are a super user or really computer savy, it is lame, but to the average home user, or me, it is fine!

I've had Vista since last spring and got nothing to complain, love it and wouldn't change it for anything else anymore At first, it will take some getting used to (like new things always do) but once you are familiar with it, I'm sure you will like it.

I have low budget computers and vista uses too much memory, Ill stick with XP.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

You shouldn't have any problems with Vista on a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by G535 View Post
    You shouldn't have any problems with Vista on a new machine.
    My comps are less then a year old and both have 2g of ram. My gear runs better on XP, both came with Vista.

Windows 7 should be out soon.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Maybe I should change that to read "I never had any problems with Vista on a new machine".

Most Vista problems are user created or it was installed on an underpowered machine.

Windows 7 is awesome!

Linux is better.

If you are an average user, XP or Vista is ok for office or gaming. If you need it to do real work (MULYITASKING) then you need Linus , Unix or
    VMS.

Windows Vista and the new "7" will be just like all other MS crap, never finished. Microsoft never gets a platform debugged and stable before moving onto another equally lame attempt a creating an Operating System. Until MS gets control of their DLL's their OS will always be unstable. The last half way stable platform was Windows 2000.
    My 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by G535 View Post
    Linux is better.
    Thats true. Try installing Vista or Windows 7 on a Pentium III Celeron with 512MBs of RAM and a Geforce 6200. That would be fun.
    Now, try installing a nearly totally custom Linux build on the above said system. Easy as cake. Then play games on it. They will actually play .

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    Thats true. Try installing Vista or Windows 7 on a Pentium III Celeron with 512MBs of RAM and a Geforce 6200. That would be fun.
    Now, try installing a nearly totally custom Linux build on the above said system. Easy as cake. Then play games on it. They will actually play .
    If you want a real challenge try getting Vista to run on a 32mb Matrox video card...I did it! Honestly, I expected vista to complely fail on me but it ran rather stable all things considered. I ran vista on my main computer rather stabily until I started having hardware issues and then vista stopped working properly. All in all, I would say vista has its share of problems but with a little bit of work it does what it needs to do. Vista is a good OS for the average home user, and from what Ive seen Windows 7 will be even better.

Microsoft knows they will never claim the power user market, and have stopped catering to them in my opinion. I don't forsee any windows releases built with power users in mind coming out anytime soon.

I have 64 bit Vista and my husband has 32bit. We have had a few minor issues, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed with a little bit of tinkering.
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl