Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever seen or heard of this?

Ever seen or heard of this?

I know this would technically go in Dog Health, but I feel like I'll get more responses in General.

And I know I'll take him to the vet if it persists. Just looking to see if anyone has ever experienced this.

I was feeding my three this morning.. and I always stand around and wait until theyre finished to let them outside again. Eli has maybe two bites left in his bowl and I'm maybe 3 feet way. He looks up at me and his eyes are messed up. They no longer look like balls, there's a lot of white showing and they look melted almost. I freaked out. He looked back at his bowl and couldnt find it, although it was 2 inches under his chin. I grabbed his face and looked at him closer, then got my phone and held on to his side and called J. Before she could even answer, I look back down at him and his eyes were normal again. So this all probably took less than 2 minutes. Its been 15 minutes or so since it happened but I'm still all weirded out. I've never seen ANYTHING like this. He's 2 1/2 years old.

If it happens again, he'll be going to the vet. He's acting fine now, and was beforehand. Eating on his Frisbee and chasing Bunny around like it never happened. Meanwhile I'm all teary-eyed and scared.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Whoa. Never heard of that, but I would have been freaked out too.
    I hope it doesn't happen again!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I've never heard anything like that. This would weird me out too.
    I think I'd probably call the Vet or take Eli in for a check up.(I'm a
    worrier)
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I can just imagine taking him in and trying to explain it.. I'd lose it. I close my eyes and see his sad little face with the messed up eyes and I tear up.

We'll definitely be going in if it happens again. And I'm keeping my camera phone right here to get proof of it if it does happen.

The more I think about it.. I wonder if he had too much food and was choking? He didn't act like it though. And he's not a speed eater.. I just don't know.

He's staying right by me all day so I can keep watch. That's for sure.

It sounds like a minor seizure. My friend's Doberman use to have something like this go on every so often. He would also lightly shake his head. It was like he was telling you "no". I would keep a close eye on him for sure. I hope it's nothing bad.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Wow Thank you.
    I googled dog seizure and pulled up a site that lists a Petit Mal Seizure with one symptom being upward rotation of the eyes. That could definitely be it.
    I called my vet and she said since it hasn't reoccurred, she wasn't sure. Suggested that maybe he just took too big of a bite of food.. Like I had thought.
    He wasnt doing anything else other than having the eye issue. He was standing fine, turned to look at me and then turned back at his bowl and then back at me again. No shaking or muscle spasms...
    He'll definitely be under watch now though.
    I'm glad I work from home now. Geez.
    If anything else happens, we're jumping in the car and going, no doubt about that.
    Thank you again, Lute, for your post (and everyone else).

I've had many customers who describe their dog's seizures including the phrase, " ... and then his eyes rolled back into his head ... ". So, could definately be a seizure, a mild one. I'd just watch closely for any more. Usually the vet wants somewhat of a history of seizures before starting diagnosis or treatment.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Thank you for your reply as well.
    What a scary thing.. geez. Seizure didnt even cross my mind once until it was posted on here. I'm glad I posted.
    Nothing else out of the ordinary today. He's definitely eating and drinking fine (Vet Assistant asked that). He just runs around and plays like nothing ever happened.
    We'll definitely be watching him though.
    Thanks again.

It happened again

Eli just had another seizure tonight. Oddly enough, its one month today since the last time.

He was asleep on our bed, got up and came across the hallway and into the office, where we both are and sat down. I looked at him and his eyes were messed up (which we've now decided that its his third eyelid coming up over his eye). This time he also was curving his body (tail included) to the right. It only lasted a minute or two, just long enough for me to see it, get J's attention so she could see it for herself. We just held him in his place until it stopped.

I'll be calling my vet tomorrow morning for sure.
    (And I'm not calling the dumb lady at the other office that I called last time. 'Maybe he swallowed to big of a bite..')

Oh no. Zoee has seizures and they are very stressful for her and me. Although she never had the eye issue. She will shake, her heart will beat super fast and hard, she pants and drools buckets, tries to climb walls and spaces out. The last couple she developed a head tick. Luckily it doesn't happen often enough to require meds (usually about 6 months between...so one is due in the next month).
    Your vet might suggest to put him on meds, but I won't do that with Zoee unless they become more severe or more often.

I hope his do not get worse. Poor Eli!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Wow.. It sounds like Zoee's are much worse. Glad she doesnt have them very often. It's so hard to watch something happen like that and be so helpless! It makes me so nervous.. I just lay in bed with a million thoughts running through my brain. I feel for you and Zoee.

Well I called the vet (I've known her for 16 years so I trust her) and she thinks its not a seizure. She thinks it a severe muscle spasm, especially since he seems to be coherent. When it happens, and I talk to him, he'll turn his head in my direction. She says that during a seizure they're unresponsive. And with his known back/spine issues, it is more plausible to be spasms. So I get to just mark it on my calendar and keep a record. If it gets worse, obviously, we'll take him in for testing and whatnot.

I really appreciate PT at times like these.. where we're able to bounce ideas off each other and also support one another. =)

Yeah, I was thinking if Eli's was a seizure its a VERY mild one. Your vet is right, they are unresponsive. She just stares into space. Sometimes it's like she tries to look at me but cant.
    Well, I do hope its not seizures for Eli. A muscle spasm would be easier to correct.

Does the episode last long enough that you could take him to the vet for them to see? OR I took a video so the doctor could see exactly what she was doing. They said that was very helpful, because by the time we got to the vet she wasn't as bad.

Good luck, I hope this can be an easy fix for Mr Eli.

Taking a video is a great idea! I will try to do that if it happens again. I tend to get real upset when it happens.. now that I know more about whats going on maybe I wont lose it!

It only lasts for a minute or two.. so no, I couldnt even get him in the car before it was over..

Thank you for your help! =)

You're welcome. Just keep your camera by your side at all times so you won't miss it.

Good luck and give Eli some hugs for me.

Goodness, that sounds scary! I don't usually go to the Dog side much so I feel the need to reply. If it does turn out to be seizures, your dog can live a long life. My RB peke-a-poo Charmin had grand mal seizures shortly after she delivered her first and only litter. She was on meds and lived to be 18 1/2 and it was a quality life so take heart. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11