Thread: Now we have Porch Possums at the Found Cat Hotel

Now we have Porch Possums at the Found Cat Hotel

There was a Possum, I would say a young Possum eating the dry Cat Food , ne was so cute , but didnt stay foe a photo op.
    He loved the Octoberfest Sausage I tossed to him .
    Is there a danger in having Possums this close?
    Will they fight with the Porch Cats and hurt the Cats or be hurt themselves?
    I am afraid that they may carry rabies as there are children on this street.
    I guess I can get a humane trap, but I will catch the Porch Ctas more likely than not.
    Anyone here with Possum Experience????
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hi Gary! You might want to check with your local animal control, vet, or a shelter on this one. While I want those possums to survive I want to see all the Porchies safe and sound. Let us know what you find out?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

There was an opossum on my deck one day last week as well.

I don't know how they would interact with the porch kitties.

We had them at our old house; when you go out the back door to the porch, there is a set of stairs leading to the yard. We kept trash cans there with nothing in them but support poles for tomatoes. One day I went out and happened to peek down and there was a set of glowing eyes looking back at me! Found out later there was a whole family living in the can, momma and babies!
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

From what I understand Opossums are resistant to rabies, and eat just about ANYTHING. There were opossums at our old place and they got along fine with the cats as far as I could tell. People regard them as pests because they breed rapidly and can infest attics and basements pretty quickly.

This is all from what Ive found out about them here in Oregon. Not sure about the ones where you are Gary! The ones by our house were actually pretty friendly as far as wild critters went. Most people say they are friendly, although they do generally have fleas so its not a good idea to get too friendly with them lol.

I THINK THAT THEY MAY HAVE GOTTEN UNDER MY PORCH, MAYBE EVEN THE CELLAR , ALTHOUGH E\WITH TUBSTER PANTHER THERE THEY MIGHT BE AFRAID TO COME INSIDE.
    I DONT MIND THEM, AFTER ALL THEY ARE CREATURES OF GOD TOO, AND HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE TOO!!!

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.

Opeies are so cute when young.. I dont think they will bother your kitty babies.. They are just wanting food as well.. I raised a baby once after his momma was killed by a car.. I raised the baby to an adult & then I let him free to the wild..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I THINK THAT THEY MAY HAVE GOTTEN UNDER MY PORCH, MAYBE EVEN THE CELLAR , ALTHOUGH E\WITH TUBSTER PANTHER THERE THEY MIGHT BE AFRAID TO COME INSIDE.
    I DONT MIND THEM, AFTER ALL THEY ARE CREATURES OF GOD TOO, AND HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE TOO!!!

If you can figure out where they got under the porch (or in the cellar) and make sure they aren't still there, you might want to put screens there to restrict their access. There are a ton of them around here, and they hop into trash cans on the curb looking for food.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I hate to say it but a couple of years ago one the local cats was killed by a possum. The owner saw it happen and tried too stop the fight with a broom but it was too late. The other thing we have too watch for are the raccoons. They will also eat any food left out and will fight. Be very carful.
    GILL & Crew;

I AM HAVING PLYWOOD OR MAYBE BETTER METAL SHEETING PUT AROUND THE PART OF THE BASEMENT THATWAS RAISED ABOUT 8 INCHES AND THEN JUST HAD FOAM PLACED IN THERE.
    I AM HAVING A SUB WALL BUILT AROUND THE CORNERS OF THE HOUSE AS WELL TO REINFORCE IT .
    I THINK THAT THEY ARE NOT IN THE HOUSE ITSELF, BUT I COULD AS USUAL BE WRONG!!!