Thread: Bordetella Booster

Question Bordetella Booster

We needed to get a bordetella shot for our dog before we could let him stay in a doggie boarding place. We did and had no problems. Then last year we took him to get his bordetella booster. This time the vet sprayed the med. in his nose. For about two weeks he started snorting and sneezing a little. Could the booster cause that?? I really am leary about giving him another booster when it's due because I think it bothered him too much. The shot didn't, but this nose spray did. Has anyone has simular probs????

Thanks in advance,

Ladybug

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug06 View Post
    We needed to get a bordetella shot for our dog before we could let him stay in a doggie boarding place. We did and had no problems. Then last year we took him to get his bordetella booster. This time the vet sprayed the med. in his nose. For about two weeks he started snorting and sneezing a little. Could the booster cause that?? I really am leary about giving him another booster when it's due because I think it bothered him too much. The shot didn't, but this nose spray did. Has anyone has simular probs????

Thanks in advance,

Ladybug
    Yes the nasal Bordatella vaccine can and often does cause some sneezing afterwards. Your vet should have warned you of that possiblity when he/she gave the booster.

If it seemed particularly distressing you could ask that they only use the injectable version instead next year. Be SURE to mention ANY type of discomfort or reaction to any vaccine or medicine to the vet's office. Don't wait until the following year, just go ahead and give them a call on the phone right away so they will note that in the records, otherwise things sometimes get forgotten by the next year and they may use the same products again not knowing there was a problem.

The difference in the nasal is that it becomes effective within 3 days and depending on whether your previous vaccine was overdue or how soon you were going to the kennel it could have been why they used the nasal one, or sometimes if they're doing alot of other injectables the nasal one can be used to help spread things out a bit.

The injectable one requires that the booster not be overdue and if it is, would require a second injection in 2-4 weeks to be effective as it should be.

Hope that info helped some. Sorry your dog had such a sneezing problem afterwards.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thank you for getting back to me. The strange thing about that was, after a day of sneezing, I called our vet and told him what Bogie was doing. He said that I would need to bring him in. He said the booster shouldn't have caused that. I sometimes wonder about him. He just didn't seem to want to talk about the booster. I have always trusted his judgment until that happened. This vet can be moody too. Maybe he was having a 'bad hair day'.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug06 View Post
    Thank you for getting back to me. The strange thing about that was, after a day of sneezing, I called our vet and told him what Bogie was doing. He said that I would need to bring him in. He said the booster shouldn't have caused that. I sometimes wonder about him. He just didn't seem to want to talk about the booster. I have always trusted his judgment until that happened. This vet can be moody too. Maybe he was having a 'bad hair day'.

Thanks again for your help.
    I dunno about that one. Maybe there's a different nasal bordatella vaccine out there they don't use where I work but ALL of our vets always warn our clients of the possibility of sneezing afterwards.

As for taking him in to be seen, some vets are very cautious and would rather see the animal than tell you over the phone that he's fine then you run into a problem later with something. Just a precaution usually.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022