Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling all moms! Did/do you co-sleep?

Calling all moms! Did/do you co-sleep?

I know that in a lot of societies, parents co-sleep with their babies, and that it's more of a western idea to have babies in their own rooms. So, I was just wondering what you guys do or did. Any co-sleepers here?

We are currently co-sleeping with Ty, although it didn't exactly start out willingly. A few months ago he was not sleeping and so miserable, and we tried everything else, but it seemed to be the only way that any of us could get any sleep. I have to admit it now, I enjoy it.

We've been co-sleeping with Nathan literally since the day he was born. I'm a huge fan of co-sleeping. I know it's not everyone's preference, but I personally wouldn't have it any other way. We plan to let Nathan self-wean from co-sleeping and he's showing no signs of wanting to do that yet. I've read that most kids self-wean from co-sleeping between 2 and 4 years old.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    No - never. But then, I'm from "the old school", and that's pretty much the way it was "way back when"!

If I were young and just starting a family now, would I co-sleep??? Nope - still wouldn't do it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Nope I don't.

I would never get a wink of sleep. hannah is a noisy sleeper and I can barely sleep while sharing the bed with my husband lol... I can't imagine adding another body to that bed. I need my space when I sleep.

Hannah always did and still does really well in her crib. when it's time for bed or for a nap I take her in to her room, give her a kiss, turn on her aquarium, cover her up and leave and she's usually out within 5 minutes. sometimes if she doesn't want to sleep right away she just sits in there and plays for a little bit until she falls asleep.

I have had her in my bed a few times. when she was really little and couldnt' go anywhere I would bring her in when Brian left for work and she slept on his side of the bed. Also did this if she was really sick.

But now? forget it. She was sick a few months ago and just couldn't sleep so we went downstairs to sleep on the air matress. YA RIGHT lol. all she wanted to do was jump around and mess with me lol so much for being sick. so she went back to her crib and she was out in 5 minutes pain in the butt lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

When Valentine was younger, I sometimes did it in the second part of the night, ~ from 4:00 am to the morning because I was breastfeeding her (and I still do) and I was too tired to stay awake. We fell asleep together and she was finishing the night in our bed. I also did it a few times when daddy had to wake up very early for his work and woke her up by making some noise.
    But I was sleeping very bad, I was scared that she could fell or would be hurt (daddy is moving a lot when sleeping!) and everyone was sleeping but me!
    Except these few times I avoid doing it because I want her to get used to sleep alone in her bed. She uses to fall asleep in my arms in the evening. It is something many people would not recommend, I know, but that's the way it is. When I am not here, e.g. at the day care, she can sleep alone, so I know she can do it! But I don't want to add this habit to co-sleeping.

I started out co-sleeping but it didn't work very well for us. I had really hoped to make it work, but it just didn't. So I settled for cuddling her to sleep every nap and nighttime. And then when she was around 13-14 months, she decided that she had enough of that and wanted her crib...she would squirm and wrestle me until I put her down. So that's what we do...she goes down in her crib wide awake, and is out within 3-4 minutes usually, no fighting and no crying so that makes me very happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    I started out co-sleeping but it didn't work very well for us. I had really hoped to make it work, but it just didn't. So I settled for cuddling her to sleep every nap and nighttime. And then when she was around 13-14 months, she decided that she had enough of that and wanted her crib...she would squirm and wrestle me until I put her down. So that's what we do...she goes down in her crib wide awake, and is out within 3-4 minutes usually, no fighting and no crying so that makes me very happy!
    ^^^^ this is exactly what hannah did as well.

SOMETIMES.... I can still get away with cuddling her for a bit before bed... but not often lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

We did not co-sleep. Our oldest was adopted from China, and many times the children in foster care do co-sleep with their foster families. Our daughter was actually sleeping in a crib in her foster home, and that is what we continued when she came home with us. Our youngest slept in a bassinet in our room for the first few months and did occasionally end up in the bed with us part of the night when I was nursing (or later if she was having trouble sleeping). Now that she is bigger and moves around a lot in her sleep, she doesn't end up in our bed nearly as often. After the bassinet, she moved into her own crib in her room.

We have done it all. Jonah began in my bed- literally on top of my chest, for months. Then, next to me and I would move him into his crib/later bed. Then, for a while, he fell asleep in his own bed, no problem. Then, he wanted to sleep in my bed, and I would lift him into his bed later. Now? Depends on how tired I am, but, he starts in my bed, sometimes with me in it, sometimes on his own. I move him to his bed still. Two nights ago, I went to his bed to sleep. He thought nothing of it when he came to find me in the am.

Whatever works for us we will keep doing.

I was like Cataholic with mine too, my youngest did love her crib and would go climb in it when she got bigger. My oldest was always more dependent, its funny they still have those traits.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Co-sleep, no never. It is a parents job to teach the child how to grow and learn to take care of themselves, hence birds pushing their babes out of the nest. We teach or children how to speak, read, eat, poop, walk, pay for college and a million and one skills inbetween, why so they can take care of themselves, that is our job. Co-sleeping is more for the parent's comfort then the childs. It's so lovely to hold them while they are sleeping however for the child to learn to be independent and self-sufficient they need their own space, their own room and time with the most important person in their lives, themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    No - never. But then, I'm from "the old school", and that's pretty much the way it was "way back when"!

If I were young and just starting a family now, would I co-sleep??? Nope - still wouldn't do it.
    Ditto.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    Co-sleep, no never. It is a parents job to teach the child how to grow and learn to take care of themselves, hence birds pushing their babes out of the nest. We teach or children how to speak, read, eat, poop, walk, pay for college and a million and one skills inbetween, why so they can take care of themselves, that is our job. Co-sleeping is more for the parent's comfort then the childs. It's so lovely to hold them while they are sleeping however for the child to learn to be independent and self-sufficient they need their own space, their own room and time with the most important person in their lives, themselves.
    A lot of co-sleeping advocates will tell you the exact opposite is true. I'll be the first one to tell you that I believe that each child and each family is different and it's important for each family to do what is right for their family. For us that's co-sleeping, for others it's not.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It's my feeling, whether the child is 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year - that they need their own space. I've seen children that have slept with their parents, and then when the parents decide it's time to end it, they have a screaming monster on their hands that actually CAN'T sleep by themselves. To me, the parents are just asking for a clingy child that can't function if they're out of sight of one or both parents, and it's reinforcing the child's need for the parents to physically be there in order to sleep.
    I'm not saying that ALL children are this way, but I've seen way too many that are. I believe in doing what works for you, but if a new mother was asking my advice/opinion on the issue, I have to urge her not to do it - for the above reasons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I didn't, and I wouldn't - ever.

In 2007 44 infants died while sleeping with parents, other children or a pet. There was at least one in this state.