Thread: dog keeps getting out of the kennel!! help..

dog keeps getting out of the kennel!! help..

hello i have a german shepherd/chow mix.. and well i brought him home when he was almost 3 moths and since i can't keep him inside the house, and nor does my back yard has a fence all around, i had to build him a kennel. it is 20 feet wide and 15 feet long and around 6 feet tall.... anyways every time i go out to walk him or feed him, he goes crazy and when i open the kennel's door, he'll just take off running.... i've been walking him and training him for about 3 months and no progress!!!...since he's grown up, he now jumps over the kennel and takes off running. so i had to tie up in a chain.( i don't like that but what can i do??).. no matter what i do, it seems that he doesn't want to be in the kennel.... he tries to bite on the kennel, he digs wholes in the yard to try to get out, and he barks and barks,... eventually, he calms down and falls a sleep. but everything starts back even if i take my trash out.. can somebody give me any tips or an advice on how i can resolve this problem??? could it be that he feels lonely and that he doesn't have enogh space to walk??? should i put a fence all around my back yard?.??? please help...

You got it right! He's lonely!! Would you like being confined to a little kennel -by yourself- all day long? Dogs are pack animals and want to be with their family. Is there a good reason why he can't come in the house? It just sounds like he's bored and needs some good exercise and mental stimulation daily.

I don't mean to be rude, but I've never understood the point in having (or getting) a dog if it's just stuck out in the yard all day.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by khriztian704 View Post
    hello i have a german shepherd/chow mix.. and well i brought him home when he was almost 3 moths and since i can't keep him inside the house, and nor does my back yard has a fence all around, i had to build him a kennel. it is 20 feet wide and 15 feet long and around 6 feet tall.... anyways every time i go out to walk him or feed him, he goes crazy and when i open the kennel's door, he'll just take off running.... i've been walking him and training him for about 3 months and no progress!!!...since he's grown up, he now jumps over the kennel and takes off running. so i had to tie up in a chain.( i don't like that but what can i do??).. no matter what i do, it seems that he doesn't want to be in the kennel.... he tries to bite on the kennel, he digs wholes in the yard to try to get out, and he barks and barks,... eventually, he calms down and falls a sleep. but everything starts back even if i take my trash out.. can somebody give me any tips or an advice on how i can resolve this problem??? could it be that he feels lonely and that he doesn't have enogh space to walk??? should i put a fence all around my back yard?.??? please help...
    I have a very similar problem with my dogs. there's a fence all around the corners of my yard, because there's a creek behind my house, with bears, cougars, coyotes, elk, deer, and lots of other wild animals that could hurt them. I have each of them tied up and if I let them all off at once, they escape in a quick moment. If I tie up two, and leave out one that does not happen.

You should put a fence around the back yard, what kind ofd breed is he, is he big? If he is, you should put it tall. My dogs are not big but medium but Lady still jumps the 7 foot tall fence.

k9krazee.. I don't think that all dogs are inside, some dogs have to be outside. Like mine. Lady is terrified of baths, she's a dirty dog, but she is calm. I've always wanted an indoors dog but parents say otherwise.

i've been walking him
    How much have you been walking him? Daily, weekly..?