Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on the mixed breed?

Any ideas on the mixed breed?

My boyfriend's uncle has this gorgeous dog, and when they got him they were told he was a purebred Jack Russell. As you can see, he is a little big for a JR! Does anyone have any ideas as to what he could be mixed with? He is from Australia.

He is quite tallish, and has a curly tail, with much longer hair that you'd see on a JR.

Aww, the pictures aren't working! I'd love to see him!

I have a <LARGE> Jack Russell. It's not too uncommon for (poorly bred) JRTs to be up to 15 inches tall. The tail could be another result of poor breeding.

JRTs usually have docked tails so they have no idea what kind of tail is being bred. So I wouldn't rule a dog with a curly tail as not being a Jack. And then there are three types of coat, the rough, smooth and broken. It just depends on how long his hair actually is!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Ah! There we go!

He definitely looks like he could very well be a rough coated (maybe broken?) JRT, in my opinion. Definitely not "show quality", but I would assume he's all Jack, or mostly Jack. But I'm no expert! Sure is cute!

He doesn't look very JRT in the face - he looks kinda Kelpie. His coat looks pretty soft, too - the longer-coated JRT's have a wiry coat. What's its texture like?
    I've Been Frosted

I think his face looks pretty JRTish. If you ignore the prick ears. I've also seen too many poorly bred broken coated JRTs that are rather soft rather than wiry. The smooth are supposed to feel rough as well, and my 3 are all very soft.

Looks like an australian cattle dog mix to me... maybe with rough coat jrt.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I think he looks like a JRT/ Cattle Dog mix. He looks like a good dog.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I was thinking Aussie/JRT or perhaps Aussie/Westie?

He looks too thick set for a JRT. Not that he is fat, just that the body build seems wrong somehow.

Maybe there is some corgi in there? That head sure looks corgi!

Is he full of energy like a JRT?

I would go Australian Cattle Dog x JRT as well. He looks like a sweety .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I gotta tell ya, I'm normally on the cat side, but I was raised at Westminster and we bred Irish Setters...
    That dog, in my opinion, has Basenji and rough coat JRT; curly tail, that face, 15-16" high...you're talking Basenji.
    How's the voice?

That is absolutely not a purebred JRT, IMO. No way.

A JRT mix, sure. Maybe some ACD in there, I'd agree.

Basenji is an interesting idea, and I see the look ... but only in the last picture. Camera angle, perhaps?

We call certain dogs here at the shelter AAD's ... All-American Dogs. Or, more specifically, WSD's ... Wyoming State Dogs. These are lab/border collie/aussie mixes. Perhaps your uncle's dog is a ATM ... Australian Terrier Mix.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I know Basenji's a long shot, but as you said, you can see the possibility in the last photo...that's why I asked about the dog's voice-that might help with the puzzle.

His bark is quite deep - I can definitely see the cattle dog that was mentioned.

His coat is quite wiry, not soft at all.

He is actually quite fat - well, a very solid boy! At certain angles his head looks too small for his body. He has heaps of energy and gets loads of exercise, so he's not overweight, just solid.

His hair is longer in almost a ridge down the middle of his back, similar to a rough-coated collie...

I'm not seeing kelpie. we have a pb kelpie at the shelter and I thought they only come in tri? anyways he's cute he looks corgi-ish to me.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..