Thread: 7 yr old dog aggressive when we try to get him out of crate

7 yr old dog aggressive when we try to get him out of crate

Thurston is a peaceful, wonderful dog except...when we are leaving and want him to go outside, he refuses to leave his crate. He growls, and snaps and actually caught my husband's hand which required 5 stitches. Other than when we are trying to get him out, he has never shown any signs of aggression. We don't want to reward his behavior by leaving him in the house free and we don't want to leave him locked in his crate for 8 hours while we are at work...suggestions please!

Blog Entries
    Could you gently tip the crate from the back forcing Thurston out that way?Then tip it up so he can't climb back in. I don't know the size of your dog if it is a big one then it could be more difficult to do this. Another thing you would have the crate between you & him so he could not bite you.

Why not leave him in his crate? What kind of dog is he? How long have you had him? Is this new behavior?
    I've Been Frosted

Move the crate outside with him in it. Not knowing the size of the dog this may or may not be possible. Obviously he feels comfortable in the crate and doesn't want to come out.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for the quick responses. Thurston is a lab mix, so he's pretty big. We have had him since we got him from the pound as a puppy. This isn't a new behavior (he's been crabby about it for the past two years or so), but it has gotten much worse in the past few months. I used to be able to scratch his nose a little, then grab his collar and he would come out. Now he growls and snaps...I tried tipping the kennel, but he just laid down. As to the question as to why we just don't leave him in his kennel? Partly because we are sometimes gone 8 or 9 hours, and partly because it doesn't seem to us that he should get to choose. We have two kids (12 and 6) and we need to know that the dog knows that although we love him, we are in charge. Again, we are feeling kind of helpless here and could use any advice you have.

And about moving the crate out with him in it...that's exactly what I did yesterday, but since he's a big dog...it wasn't easy I don''t think I could do it every morning.

Letting him stay in the crate all day would not be "giving in" and letting him "choose." Is he fed in the crate? Could you lure him out with a treat, and positive attention? Try that, it sounds like right now you just get him out of the crate and he goes straight outside for the day. Has anything changed outside to make that a negative thing? Any other recent changes in the household? How do you react when he refuses to come out? Has he been to the vet lately to make sure nothing medical - like the onset of arthritis or something - could be affecting his temperament?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Letting him stay in the crate all day would not be "giving in" and letting him "choose." Is he fed in the crate? Could you lure him out with a treat, and positive attention? Try that, it sounds like right now you just get him out of the crate and he goes straight outside for the day. Has anything changed outside to make that a negative thing? Any other recent changes in the household? How do you react when he refuses to come out? Has he been to the vet lately to make sure nothing medical - like the onset of arthritis or something - could be affecting his temperament?

I still don't understand why you insist the dog stay outside while
    you are out of the house. If he's housebroken, & doesn't chew the
    furniture or anything, Let him stay in the house. The dog could also
    have a touch of arthites in his hips they are causing him to hate the
    cold.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I guess I would suggest to put a leash on him, have a handful of yummy treats and teach him to go in and out of the crate when you tell him to.

Thurston, kennel. Let him go in. Reward. Thurston, come. Gently pull/lure. Reward. Repeat. Not sure if this is right or wrong, it's just what I would do.

It's odd that a 7 year old would suddenly become THAT unwilling to come out of the crate. Has he had a complete medical check up lately? Have there been signs that he's in pain? That might cause him to not want to get up and come out as well.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Firs of all, welcome to PT (pet talk).

So he's kept outside all day long while you are at work? If so maybe there's something outside that bothers(ed) him? Maybe something happened to him in the past outside before while he was left out there that prevents him from wanting to go out there again for the whole day?

If he's housebroken &/or crate trained is there any reason you can't leave him inside instead? 8 Hours of being indoors or in the crate is not all that bad for them at all. Surprisingly dogs sleep more than some of us might think... I think it's like an average of 13 or 14 hours of sleep a day. They are also pack animals by nature & can sometimes dislike being away from their den & pack members (our home & us, their owners & companions). Give him a kong or two to keep him occupied while you're away.

No matter what the incident was that prevents him from wanting to leave his crate, patience & persistence is the key here.

I would start by keeping him on a lead at all times (and treats on you at all times). When he goes in the crate make sure the end of the lead is outside the crate so you can grab it without entering the crate when its time to get him out. Lure him out slowly but firmly (you are the boss but you don't want to scare him at all). And PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE when he gets out. You can use small treats, favorite toys, petting, etc... all as lures & rewards. Make sure his experience is always good when he leaves his crate. Pay attention to your body language too, especially so if you are feeling frustrated. Remember you must always make this a good experience for him.

If you always get him out at the same time everyday try changing it a little. Follow the above & do it a half hour to an hour earlier or later than your usual time.

Also if you always get him out during a certain routine try to change that as well. Say you put on your shoes & coat right before getting him out try taking him out when your doing something different like eating breakfast or getting your keys ready.

If you taught him a command word to leave his crate change it too. Like instead of saying "out" try "come" etc...

Dogs can be creatures of habit & can really pick on small signals that we often don't see.

Just stay positive, patient & persistent. Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
    I guess I would suggest to put a leash on him, have a handful of yummy treats and teach him to go in and out of the crate when you tell him to.

Thurston, kennel. Let him go in. Reward. Thurston, come. Gently pull/lure. Reward. Repeat. Not sure if this is right or wrong, it's just what I would do.

It's odd that a 7 year old would suddenly become THAT unwilling to come out of the crate. Has he had a complete medical check up lately? Have there been signs that he's in pain? That might cause him to not want to get up and come out as well.
    Exactly my advice!

Leash and reward with treats, praise, play, whatever. Make the experience positive and fun. He has obviously associated hands inside his crate with grabbing and pulling, so he reacts negatively - by growling and snapping. To counter his behavior, you have to approach it from a positive way, too. Good luck!

Sounds like Thurston equates leaving his crate with being banished to the yard and left alone.

If he was my dog, I'd make sure his health is OK. Then let him out of his crate while I was home. Just open the door and leave it and him alone. Take him for a walk before putting him in the yard for a short time.