Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Calling all moms! Did/do you co-sleep?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think we will be getting a co-sleeper to attach to our bed. I think our culture as a whole places so much weight on individuality, that we tend to forget about the basic need of NEEDING EACH OTHER, and that it's completely fine and appropriate. We're not solitary creatures, even though I do love my alone time. Luckily, David and I have many similar opinions on the matter, and we both want to try and make sure that we have family traditions, at least one meal a day together, playing together, etc. I definitely want my child to be able to take care of themselves one day, but I don't really think I care too much for the idea of teaching independence to a newborn. I don't know how long we'll "co-sleep", but for the very beginning, that's what we'll do.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

No!the only place the kids were,was in there basinette beside the bed.I was too scared to be honest.I have heard horror stories about things that have happend.Not to mention id never get any sleep,I find they come too dependant and dont want to leave the parents bed.I dont have anything against people who do.It just worried me too much.

Sam co-slept with us for many months then went to a crib right next to me then a little after a year old was in her own room.

In the beginning sleep was better for me with her in my bed (we used a thing to put in an adult bed that has breathable "walls" that help protect from our pillows). When she got bigger and didn't stay swaddled she was kicking me in her sleep (only me never dad) so into her crib she went. At some point she started trying to play or have our attention if she woke up so into her own room she went and peacefully she has slept thru every night since. Even when she is sick she still sleeps fairly well, falling right back to sleep after receiving care.

So I guess I just went with the flow of what worked and now we are expecting baby #2 so my plan is to do the same but I guess that could change if the baby has a different plan! I don't know if I'm ready for round the clock feeding again but I'm up anyway now with hip pain so I guess the sleeplessness has already started.