Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great news about Simon

Great news about Simon

The vet put him on Hill's Prescription diet i/d and he doesn't throw up anymore. I also have changed his eating to a small amount throughout the day and that seems to help.

Added benefit is his coat is getting silky and lush. He lost weight but he can now jump up to the top of his cat tree and he tries to catch his tail up there---so funny the energy he has. He has started to chase through the house with my other cat like before so the weight loss didn't hurt him. I think he is gaining some weight but my hubby measures out the portion he should have for each day as per the instructions on the bag.

He should be ok now. Thanks for all your help when I asked about it.

Always love to read a good report. Way to go, Simon!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That sure is great news about Simon!!!

WoW thats so great Simon.. Glad the food is doing good for you..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Thanks for sharing the good news! Seeing him leap to the top of the cat tree must make you smile!
    I've Been Frosted

That is so wonderful to hear! I love hearing happy success stories, it gives the rest of us some hope! I hope Simon continues to improve!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Update on the update

Well Simon started vomiting again and losing weight so we took him back to the vet. Seems the cortisone shot had worn off after three months so he gave him another one but it only lasted for about 10 days then the symptoms started again.

His blood test came back ok again so when we took him back, the vet said something about maybe a stomach tumor. They would need to operate to see if he had one. The X-rays would not show a tumor. If it was not operable then they would call us and we would need to decide if they should put him down or what to do.

After talking about that the vet suggested it may be indigestion. The vet recommended giving him Prilosec and an anti-vomit med. We jumped at this, I don't want to put a cat through such an invasive surgery when they could do nothing if they found a tumor. I wanted to try this first.

Well it is working. My hubby gives him a forth of a pill of Prilosec a day and three doses of the anti-vomit med each day. He is gaining weight again and we don't have to feel his bones anymore. He may have an ulcer. Strange how animals can get the same diseases we get.

I sure am glad I did not jump at the operation. The vet knew we were hesitant so we talked more and came up with a less invasive treatment. Now we are keeping our fingers crossed this will be the last of it. If he needs to be on meds the rest of his life that is better than the alternative.

My hubby will look around the web to find cheaper med costs if Simon has a chronic condition. My hubby gets Prilosec for himself so that is easy to buy anyway. So Simon is on the special food and meds now but he is such a sweet cat I don't want to lose him.

Goodness, that was a close one! I'm so glad that the Prilosec is working for Simon. PT and the internet are wonderful for finding new meds and treatments. I'm sorry that you were frightened and alarmed like that. It must have been awful for you. It sounds as though Simon is on the mend, though. Way to go!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

HUGS and I am glad to hear that this latest treatment is working for Simon!

Prayers that he stays well and healthy!

er....any pics available of this handsome boy?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I missed this thread that last time but I'm glad to hear that Simon is doing well again. I've heard of cats having to take pepcid to avoid vomiting as well so the prilosec probably does the same thing. Did your vet ever say anything about him possibly having IBD? Some cats with this disease will vomit, some will have severe diarrhea, and some will have both symptoms.

My cat Starr has IBD and colitis and he had severe diarrhea. Now he has to take prednisolone for the rest of his life. This has stopped his diarrhea but has caused him to gain weight. I hope that Simon will continue to do well. Please continue to keep us updated about him.

Well, sad to say but Simon's stomach condition is chronic. He still throws up and now he is licking the back of his front legs until the fur is gone.

He has to take Prilosec and Metoclopramide each day. He takes it 3 times a day if bad but I try to limit it to once a day. His last cortisone shot didn't last very long.

Right now he is very skinny and I wonder if he is getting enough vitamins. I have him on the vet's A/D food but he still has the sensitivity to it. He drinks a lot of water but he always did that. I think most days he lives on water.

I am now reading up on some natural solutions to correct it. I sure do not want him to go through an operation and by now if it was a tumor or something serious he would be having other symptoms. I just fear his not eating much will lead to liver problems.

Does anyone else have this problem with their furbaby and what helped? TIA

Try grain-free food. It has helped many kitties. Even vet food has grain in it.

See if your pet store has some samples of Innova Evo or another grain-free food. Some cats are allergic to grains!

Good luck and prayers for dear Simon! Bless you for not giving up on him.

I think Catty1 is probably right. That sounds like it could be an allergy. Please keep us posted!

Love, Columbine

I'll never give up on him but I fear his liver will give out with not eating and going into fasts like he does. He did eat a little canned tuna today. I know it's not good for him but at this point whatever he wants to eat is ok with me.

I wish he liked more human food so he will at least eat something.

Did you read the last two posts, Janelle? Go to a pet store and get some grain-free food and try that on him.