Here's the gist of it:

In July 2009, I'll be embarking on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - really. I'm not just throwing around cliches here. For ~19 days, I'll be traveling to Thailand with the Zoo. Our itinerary includes bathing and helping to rehabilitate Asian elephants, visiting and working with a Hornbill rescue (with which our Zoo is affiliated), living a day with rural natives, etc. etc. In other words, we'll be furthering our zoo's message of education and stewardship of the natural world in Thailand, while simultaneously opening our personal horizons and gaining a fuller perspective of the global community.

The big issue, of course, is the money. The trip will cost $3600, and we are required to fundraise at least 1/3 of the cost, or $1200. In all honesty, I would prefer to raise as much as possible. For that reason, I am in DESPERATE need of fundraising ideas.

At this rate, one of my major fundraising sources will be letter writing and sponsorships. I'm sending out letters to ~20 local companies and families and friends. In return for their sponsorship, our group is planning to throw them all a party with souvenirs in appreciation for their generosity. But in this economy, I don't think people will be inclined to donate, and I am so desperate for alternate fundraising ideas. If you have ANY ideas at all (especially tried-and-true), PLEASE post them!!