Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My friend is rescuing a standard poodle ADDED PICTURE!

I don't know who is more fortunate - your friend or Chokka! What a happy story!

I drool over standard poodles.... and Chokka is sooo darn cute!!.. love her chocolate color.... YAY for both!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Chokka is stunning, and she looks very happy....I hope she gets to feeling better, soon!!!
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

Thanks everyone chokka has been renamed to chewbacca. He is doing great, she says he is a wonderful dog. He checked out fine at the vet, he never did come down with kennel cough like we feared, he sneezes sometimes, the vet says it may be allergies.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Thanks everyone chokka has been renamed to chewbacca. He is doing great, she says he is a wonderful dog. He checked out fine at the vet, he never did come down with kennel cough like we feared, he sneezes sometimes, the vet says it may be allergies.
    My son-in-law had a cat growing up who he named Chewbacca. The named got shortened to "Chewey." Wonder if Chokka/Chewbacca will be the same.

Pam, my friend wants to attempt grooming at home, can you recommend some good sheers?

I have been frosted!

Pam, my friend wants to attempt grooming at home, can you recommend some good sheers?
    Do you mean electric clippers? I have an Oster and have had it for quite some time. I have been thinking of getting another one so that I can trade off when the Oster heats up a little and looked into the Andis clippers. They are about the same price. The nice thing is that the blades are inter-changeable. There are several companies that make clippers and some are very pricey. There is a very old thread here somewhere about the various kinds of clippers from back when I was deciding what to do (which I still haven't done yet ). Maybe Amy (WolfQ) or Jen Luckenback can offer some suggestions since they are professional groomers.

If you meant sheers, as in scissors, I have been using a few that were my mother-in-law's (she was a hairdresser). The dogs don't know the difference.

Thanks Pam, yes I mean electric clippers. I remember reading that Andis were good.

She just called to tell me her neighbors have complained that he barks all day why she is at work. She keeps him outside but he has a basement area he can go to get shelter.

I told her to try to keep him in a laundry room during the day to see how he does. I also gave her a crate to try out when she first got him.

I have been frosted!

She just called to tell me her neighbors have complained that he barks all day why she is at work. She keeps him outside but he has a basement area he can go to get shelter.
    Why doesn't she keep him inside? Is he destructive/not housebroken? Do you know how old he is? Sorry for all of the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Why doesn't she keep him inside? Is he destructive/not housebroken? Do you know how old he is? Sorry for all of the questions.
    I am not sure why she doesn't keep him inside, it may be fear of what he will do. Its not bad now but it does get cold here and very hot in the summer. The shelter said 3 but based on his teeth I thought he may be a little older but he has a lot of spunk. He is housebroken, I am not sure about how he would do for 8 hours though. My dogs have pretty strong bladders.

I have been frosted!

I am not sure why she doesn't keep him inside, it may be fear of what he will do. Its not bad now but it does get cold here and very hot in the summer. The shelter said 3 but based on his teeth I thought he may be a little older but he has a lot of spunk. He is housebroken, I am not sure about how he would do for 8 hours though. My dogs have pretty strong bladders.
    I am not a fan of leaving a dog outside for many reasons. A person in the next town from me had a dog stolen right out of her yard and, as you mention, the weather is an issue. Maybe she will give him little "tests" where she can leave him for short periods of time and see what he does or doesn't get into. She could also try the crate, but if he is 3 years old and never been crated he might put up a fuss. I crated Ripley in the beginning and he didn't like it one little bit. Somehow he even cut his nose on the crate. At the least could she maybe gate him in the kitchen? Even if he continues to bark, at least it won't be as loud and less bothersome to the neighbor.

I'm not a fan either Pam, maybe this is a blessing. Maybe he will get to stay in the house.

I have been frosted!

I'm not a fan either Pam, maybe this is a blessing. Maybe he will get to stay in the house.
    Good point. I will keep my fingers crossed for him.

Chewbacca is gorgeous!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Chewbacca is gorgeous!! I love Standard Poodles. I would love to adopt one but don't think we will anytime soon. Our life is full of moves and travels that one dog is plenty. Two would be very challenging.

I hope Chewey finds his way indoors soon while his mommy is at work