Thread: 2 dogs, 2 serious injuries

2 dogs, 2 serious injuries

These are Moms dogs, BeauBeau (left) and Newters (right). They live on 20 acres and are around horses, cattle and chickens all day. They've encountered cars but have never been hurt by one but they've been kicked by the horses and cows, chased by mad chickens and fought with coyotes and they always come out alright.
    Last night they both got locked in a stall and Newt tried to climb over the gate, his front right foot got stuck. Either he started to chew it off or BeauBeau did, we're not sure. As he was hanging there I guess, Beau jumped up on the fence (this is all pretty speculative, we're really just trying to figure it out from where we found blood). He got his front left foot stuck and tore it wide open on the corner of a sign. Newt, during all this, freed himself but couldn't get out of the barn so my parents couldn't hear them crying barking.
    This was the first thing mom saw when she opened the door...Newt with his paw in a puddle of blood with blood spread all over the barn, and BeauBeau hanging on a gate by a very bloody leg.

These boys are awesome. They are the best dogs, well trained, good listeners and always alert. They compete with each other over every little thing but there's rarely a fight and both of them spend a lot of time trying to acquire belly rubs and rolling together in cowpies.

Mom is so tired. Between this, my dad being sick (he's had 4 heart surgeries) her brother and sis inlaw (both with cancer), my grandmother, her favorite cow dying Christmas morning (they have her 1 month old baby thought), another brother slowly dying after a triple bypass and...her favorite horse is lame (the trainer cut her foot)...I am so worried about her, I can hear defeat in her voice. Not to mention, she's carrying all the guilt over the dogs because she was the last one in the barn.

BeauBeau's front left leg was amputated earlier today and the vet is still trying to save Newters front right paw. It's not looking good for Newters but things are brighter for BeauBeau, he's in good shape and we should see him trying to walk in the next 10 hours or so. Both are on nightwatch at the vets office and they have instructions to call at any time, and then mom calls me and I call everybody else.

Guys, this is breaking my heart. We're going out there this weekend, mainly to help mom so she can relax a bit, to give her time to find peace of mind. Will you please keep everybody in your thoughts and prayers, I would appreciate it?

OH my goodness!! I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Not only for the dogs, but everything else going on in your family.
    I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could say.

Your family, especially your mother, will be in my thoughts.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

When it rains . . . . . Please deliver some hugs to your mother from us here. Prayers for the dogs, and for all of you. This is a very stressful time for everyone of you.

Oh how awful. Many prayers to your mom and to Newters and Beau Beau.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh my, how heartbreaking. Prayers going out for your Mom and her dogs.

Thanks everyone, being in your thoughts and prayers has helped!

BeauBeau is up, tail wagging and wanting 475 kisses at once. Newters might only lose a toe, it could've been a whole lot worse! Both boys are eating and drinking, pooping and peeing but Newt seems to be pretty traumatized and growls at BeauBeau everytime he sees him and wasn't all that happy to see mom yesterday. We're hoping that's the smells, new people and strange place and not that he's gone mean.

They're cleaning up the garage (which is already cleaner than my house) and putting seperate kennels in there with a common play area. They'll have beds, food and water and toys in there. It'll be heated and have a work counter in there for cleaning wounds and giving meds.

Anyway, they're staying at the vets til Friday so the garage can be made over and we're hoping that once they're home and back in their routines that Newters will come around...if not, they'll have seperate playtime for now and Newters will get behaviorial counseling.

Thankfully mom doesn't give up easily.

Oh, mom sold the calf to a neighbor that has a milk mom and that gives her more time, plus dad is getting better, the vet said he feels needed so he's trying more now...yes, the vet said that, haha.

Thanks again for the prayers and thoughts.

Oh my my How so HeartBreaking.. Sending Lots of Huggss & Prayers = as well as some peice of mind..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What a tragic, unfortunate accident. Hopefully both dogs will completely recover, even tho they suffered so much trauma!
    And your poor mother - having to find them injured so badly - along with all else that is happening at present. She must be a very strong lady. I would be a complete basket case if I was in her shoes.
    My prayers going out to your mom (and the whole family), and for the pooches as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, how I HATE such disasters!! The good news is that tripods almost always do very, very well; in fact, I consider them disfigured rather than disabled! Hats off to your mom for weathering the storm.