Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sara's LEG- Doctor *STILL* Doesn't Know What's Wrong (update #15)

Sara's LEG- Doctor *STILL* Doesn't Know What's Wrong (update #15)

This past Fall, Sara (boxer) developed a knot on her back leg. A couple of xrays later, it was determined that the "ankle" had been fractured at one point (it was already healed), probably a result of playing with Maggie (our other boxer).

Fast forward to this winter, Sara was/is having problems walking. We initially thought it was the bump (arthritis) but as it grew worse, we began to think it was her hip dysplasia. Two weeks ago, she went in for another xray (this time of her hips). We were shocked to find out that something is wrong with her spine.

Sara went back on the 29th for more testing/xrays (under sedation). The vet did a spinal tap, more xrays (with dye), etc. Everything (including a culture) has come back clean. (The xray did find a couple of "rough" places that didn't -but should've- hold the dye.) The doctors' are stumped. Given her breed, he originally thought tumor. When the initial xrays came back, he began to think bone infection but the culture came back clear. Degenerative myelopathy was discussed but (I don't remember why) tabled. I fear it may be the DM, though.

Our vet has asked us if we want a referral to another clinic. How could we not? (We've narrowed it down to two - one 6hrs away, one 8hrs away.)

If you could, would you send up some prayers and healing thoughts for our good ol' girl? She'll be 10 in March. (Has it really been that long?)

On a positive note, our vet doesn't think she's in any sort of pain.

Last edited by zippy-kat; 01-17-2009 at 09:22 AM.

My heart goes out to you. I went through the same problems with my old Rottweiler in 07. It's tough when they get older isn't it.
    I can't remember exactly what information is in this thread but if you have any spare time you may want to look through it just in case there's something in there that may help. It's one of the threads I had going when my Rottweiller first started to display similar symptoms as your Sara.
    If there's anything I can do for you please let me know, I'll do all I can.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Poor Sara. Thoughts and prayers coming your way, that the vet's will be able to figure out the puzzle and get her playing with that young pup again soon!

big hugs and prayers on the way for Sweet Sassy Sara Lee!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Sara needs Prayers ... <dials God>

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post

Sara was/is having problems walking.

We were shocked to find out that something is wrong with her spine.

Sara went back on the 29th for more testing/xrays (under sedation).

Degenerative myelopathy was discussed but (I don't remember why) tabled.
    I fear it may be the DM, though.

Our vet has asked us if we want a referral to another clinic.
    How could we not?

Hi God ~

We're sendin PT Prayers up for pretty Miz Sara - da Boxer Kid frum New Messico.

Please be ready fur a consult flite to Help wiffa diagnosis on why she can't
    walk so good ... we kinda hopin it's not that same DM disease that lil Brudder Bowser
    had ... he managed it purdy well - but we kuld tell he dint unnerstand
    WHY his bum foot an leg wouldn't follow instructions.
    DM is kinda a cruel disease to have.

Please Help Sara ta feel better; and Help her Fambly to deal wiffa problem.

THANKS, God.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Hey Zippy-Kat ~

Did you try that "folded-under paw" test I told you about?
    Do it several times a day; and over many days. When Bowz was first diagnosed with DM,
    he had many days where he showed no symptoms and could pass the
    "folded-under paw" test with normal reactions.

Toward the end, his left rear paw could never pass the test, and his right
    rear paw and leg started acting up on "bad days".

I cried a LOTTA Tears over that lil Fluff-Mutt.

I sure do *miss ya*, Bowser!

{{{Hugs}}}, Zippy-Kat

Prayers from RI for dear Sara! Let us know as things progress. The hardest part is NOT KNOWING what is going on, at least for me.

Poor Sara, and poor you, its so hard not knowing what is wrong. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts, I hope you can find out what is causing the problem. That is a beautiful photo of her!

My thoughts and prayers are going out. Every day, I wish all pets could always be healthy. Seeing them suffer is the hardest thing on earth. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I sure hope Sara feels better soon.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Good thoughts and prayers on the way for miss Sara! She sure is a pretty girl... she must be quite the sweetie!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

For what it's worth, y'all have done all the right tests to sort her out; maybe you just need somebody to put it all together? Agree with your concern about DM...

Quote Originally Posted by critters View Post
    For what it's worth, y'all have done all the right tests to sort her out; maybe you just need somebody to put it all together? Agree with your concern about DM...
    I hope the clinic(s) we're going to can do just that. *fingers crossed*

Our regular clinic has prepared the xrays/labwork for us to take. From my understanding, they (the "new" vets) are going to be doing either a sonogram or an MRI. Our appointment is on the 16th.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and suggestions. Please keep 'em coming.

I'm afraid I can't offer advice, but for sure will offer my thoughts and prayers!

Many many good thoughts and prayers for Sara.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Poor Sara. Prayers and healing thoughts on the way.

17 hours later, we're home with not much more information than when we left. And I have a feeling there's a certain boxer that won't be asking for a car ride for QUITE sometime. lol

The GOOD news: (1)It's NOT DM! *whew* (2)She's not in much -if any- pain. (3)The problem is "localized" to her left hind leg - not anywhere else. (4)The vet said she really had to "nit-pick" to say she had hip-dysplasia. (5)All in all, she's a very healthy old girl!
    The BAD news: They're not quite sure what it is. They *think* it could be a sheath tumor on the sciatic nerve but we need a neurologist to determine anything further. Her reflexes are good and she has feeling in her toes and leg, it's just that she can't spatial-ly tell where the foot is.
    The MEDIOCRE news: (1)Depending on the severity of the tumor (if there is one), we might face amputation of the leg. (2)The state of NM doesn't have a neurologist. So it's off to Colorado or Texas. (3)We're looking at a pretty heft price tag for just the diagnosis.

So today pretty much ruled out "bone stuff" and confirmed our regular vet's suspicion that it's neurological in nature. Where we'll go from here, I honestly don't know. IF amputation is where we're headed, I would think our regular vet could do that here with less stress to our dog (and wallet). Whatever the case, it's something that doesn't need to be thought of with a tired mind. With that, thank you guys for your well wishes!

Oh! As a treat for being such a good girl, we took Sara to Three Dog Bakery.... our chowhound proceeded to snub every FREE tidbit and opt for the $$ ones. Murphy's law?!