Thread: how long before neutering?

how long before neutering?

I got my pup from the pound, so we have to get him fixed ( that's one of the rules we have to follow in order to adopt) but my fiance is worried that it could stunt his growth and make him less protective of the house if we do it too soon. He just turned 3 months old. The vet wanted to go ahead and to it next week but he wants to call and cancel. We do want to have him nautered though. How long do you think someone should wait to have a dog fixed?

You can find other threads with this topic. I strongly suggest you wait until your puppy is 6 months old. Do it as soon as he turnes 6 monthes. Getting the dog neutered, even at three months, is not going to stunt his growth or make him less protective of your or your home. The reason I say wait until 6 months is the puppy can withstand the anesthetic a lot better. I honesty would be worried if your vet wants to neuter your puppy at this age. I would call arund and ask other vets what their opinions are on this matter. Not all vets are created equal!

Good luck with your puppy!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

6 months old.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Oh I think it might be 6/7 Months. You could ask your vet on the phone or it may have come with the papers when you purchase/adopted your animal.
    Dogs//Wolves//Animals=:

limited time

When I got my JRT from the pound I only had 2 weeks to get him fixed, so you may have a time line to get this done. The vet also had to send papers back saying that they had neutered Rex. Vet had to do this I couldn't take it back myself, to prevent people from forging the papers. Check your contract if you get a vet to say for health reasons you should wait till 6 months to neuter him you would have to take a letter from the vet in to the place you got him from.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY FRIENDS

6 months is the old standby for pet dogs. If you're trying to shape a serious canine athlete/competitor, I would spay/neuter later in life. But very few people have the time and experience to shape serious canine athletes

5/6/7 months is good. it won't affect any abilities your dog has, EXCEPT the ability to make puppies.that is for your boyfriend. your dog will be protective of his and your house, will still raise a leg to mark (and BTW not all male dogs do, and some female dogs will raise leg to mark) and will still be a wonderful inside part of your family and pack....so when do we get to see pictures?
    edited.....they sure are cuties, both the skin and fur kid. what is the little girls name?
    Last edited by joycenalex; 01-03-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: saw the pictures
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

6 months is generalizing. Large breed dogs take longer to develop, and ideally should be neutered later.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

they sure are cuties, both the skin and fur kid. what is the little girls name?[/QUOTE]

The little girl is my daughter Brooke. She's almost 2 and she loves Harley to death. As soon as she wakes up they are inseperable. Lol! They are both trouble makers but they are so cute together. She calls him Haweee.