Thread: Changing Microchip info?

Changing Microchip info?

Does anyone know anything about changing Microchip info? When i got my boys that man i got them from said they were chipped at the shelter he got them from. I asked him for the info about it and he had no clue. I guess th shelter told him the info was the shelters and they would contact him if they were found. So if i take them to a vet with a reader can they give me the info i need to change the info? Sorry this was so long.
    Thank you

I don't know... I think some shelters won't let you change it, you just have to give them YOUR information..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I sure hope someone has the answer to this. Edwina was chipped when we got her 12 years ago and we have moved twice. She isn't likely to run off anywhere but I would still like to know.

www.eidap.com is the registry I have used in the past to change microchip information on Eve.

I can't remember if this site is for just Canada or for Canada and the US. It is possible that the people at Eidap Inc. can direct you.

Good luck!
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

My dogs are chipped with different companies. I went online to update my info after I got Taggart from the shelter and after I got Zoee done. I was able to add pictures to the page as well.
    I believe they can tell you what "brand" of chip you have when they scan at the vet. When I had them check Taggarts she asked "HomeAgain?" and that's what his is. I haven't had Zoee's checked yet but might do that tomorrow. I'll let you know if they can tell what company, then you could just go online. Although they might need the number. There should be some kind of security so not just anyone can change info though. The previous owner probably should have changed it to your name.
    I'll ask when I get Zoee's checked though and let you know what I find out. If someone else doesn't have an answer for you before that.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thank you so much. The chances of them getting out are slim( i live on the 3rd floor of and aparment building) but i just want to be sure. Im not even sure if the guy i got them from even informed the shelter that he gave them away. im just afraid if they get back to the shelter i would never get them back

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Cammie and Pepper were chipped when we adopted them. The shelter gave us all the chip information so that we could transfer the records to our name -- with the vet, any online database we could find, etc.

Willow and Willy were also chipped. Their rescue group keeps the chip registration in their name, but they gave us a copy of all the info so that we could have that info for our file. We can't change the registration over to us, but at least we have the info if we need to fill out a lost pet form or something.

Can you go back to the rescue group to see if you can get this information from them?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Most vets have scanners available to read the most common systems out there: Home Again, and AVID. Once you have the ID number from the chip (which will also tell you the company) you can contact them. When I adopted Sugar, she was already microchipped from her prior owner, with AVID. I got the number and for a small fee ($9 2 years ago) I was able to update her file to my info.

The scanner for AVID will read AVID chips, and will indicate that there is a chip present, which can not be read, for all other companies. The same for the scanner from Home Again. There are universal scanners, which will read either company, and some vets have that type.

When I adopted Lacey, I had her microchipped from AVID as well. Each company offers discounts for multiple pets, so it made sense for me to stay with AVID.

Then came Marlin's turn. My vet no longer offered AVID. Marlin has a chip from Home Again, but I have not sent in the registration yet. I still hope to get him chipped with AVID and just add him to my existing account.

Why? AVID is a one time fee. Home Again is an annual subscription. Yes,each offers a different type of service.

With AVID, you report a pet missing. Then, if a vet /shelter/pound CHECKS WITH THEM on a pet brought in, they will advise that the pet has been reported missing, and you get contacted.

With Home Again, if you report your pet missing, Home Again sends out faxes to area vets with all the info, and the pet's photo if you have one on file. They also send this info out to shelters and dog pounds in your area, IF the shelter / pound is on file with them. I don't know what is involved for the shelter or city pound to be "on file."

I really don't need to be paying an annual fee. I can easily run around to my local vets and shelters in an emergency, I've done it when one of my cats has gone missing.

Those 2 companies are national. There are also local microchip companies, which service a set geographic region. Only vets in that area are going to have scanners which can read the chip.

So this is what I would suggest:
    - take the pet to the vet and have the chip scanned, get the company name and the ID number.
    - decide if you want to continue with THAT company, or switch to another company.
    - staying with that company, then go to their web site, contact them to update the info
    - changing companies, find a vet who will use the microchip of the company you want, and have a new microchip injected. Then register it.

Microchip Information

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

Most vets have scanners available to read the most common systems out there:

There are also local microchip companies, which service a set geographic region.
    Only vets in that area are going to have scanners which can read the chip.

- changing companies, find a vet who will use the microchip of the company you want,
    and have a new microchip injected. Then register it.
    It's not a universal truth that "most vets" have scanner/readers!
    Vets in SOME areas of the USA and Canada do have one or two of the MANY
    brands and types of scanner/readers; but MANY areas, and some whole states,
    do NOT have Vets, Shelters, nor Rescues that can read microchips!

Before spending money on microchipping a pet, make some phone calls to
    area Vets, Shelters, and especially Animal Control - and ASK if they have
    a scanner/reader and if they USE IT on all stray dogs and cats.
    Unless a majority of the institutions have and USE a scanner/reader, the
    probability of a lost pet being returned because of a microchip being detected
    is pretty small.

As for having a "second" microchip inserted into a pet ...
    I think that might cause some real problems!
    If the microchips are similar in design and operating frequency, the TWO chips
    might interfere with each other and give a meaningless indication on the
    reader/scanner.

Lastly, here's a very lengthy discussion of the pros & cons of microchipping -
    a must study for anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing pet microchips.

"Microchips & Your Pet" >>> http://home.att.net/~rfid/pet-chip.htm

/s/ Phred

Wow, thanks Phred!

Well, I took Zoee to get hers read yesterday and I forgot to ask what I was going to ask. But they do have a universal scanner and the ID number came up on it.
    Take them to a vet that has a universal scanner and see if they can identify the company and get the ID number, then see if you can go online to change info. OR contact the shelter the man got them from, if you know what shelter it was, and ask them for the info.
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 01-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We had all of our cats microchipped with HomeAlone chips - this is what they use on the military bases and also at our local veterinarian. I don't know anything about the other companies - but HomeAlone has a nice website where I can easily go and update anything in a couple minutes. I even have uploaded pictures of each kitty and little plastic ID tags to keep on my keyring. Since they are indoor only, I never really gave it much thought until reading about Kuhio and then the Katrina mess and figured it may or may not help me find my pets again if anything disastrous should happen where I live - but worth doing anyway. They do not wear collars at all so I feel better knowing that they have the chip. I am curious about the local shelters and will give them a call to see if they have scanners and routinely use them. I am one who thought it was very common these days Better than NOT having anything on them though.

Over the weekend a Jack Russell came to visit. He had a Home Again tag but no phone number or address. I called Home Again, but the tag was registered to a far away shelter. Home Again tried to call the shelter, but of course the shelter was closed for the holidays!

I ended up walking the street and asking neighbors. I finally found the owner. She had no idea she had to update the info at Home Again. She said she would call Home Again, but I did anyway and gave them her name and street address.

A chip is only as good as the information on the computer. Tags with good info are invaluable.

All of my babies are microchipped thru Bayer brand && the web site link is PetLink International.. I can go in there & make changes on their profiles & pics.. Now you have to sign in with your sign on & password.. There is no prob..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>