Thread: Does anyone have experience of Seraquin?

Does anyone have experience of Seraquin?

In November when we had Jessica at the vet for her annual check up and boosters, he noted that she was flinching when he felt along her spine. We don't really know how old Jessica is, but she is certainly at least 16 and probably older.

The vet recommended that we might want to try her on Seraquin which is a joint supplement for animals affected by arthritis. I have to say that Jessica does not display any symptoms of stiffness that we have noticed, but she definitely was reacting when the vet felt along her spine, so we got the tablets to see whether they had an effect. Seraquin is not a drug and would not be harmful to the other cats if they took it.

She has been taking it now for just over a month, and it does seem to be having an effect. She looks a little more bouncy when she walks and she seems to wrestle even more than before. The carpet has been covered in clumps of fur every morning.

Has anyone else used Seraquin for their cats?

Karen, I don't know anything about Seraquin, but it sounds harmless from what you describe.

I'm glad that Jessica seems more bouncy, but I hope she's not getting into too many fights!

Give her some kisses from me, please!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have no idea what it is- but whatever helps Jessica to bounce sounds good. I may check it out for myself

Edit: Have you seen they have a website www.seraquin.co.uk in which they tell you what's in it: Glucosamine (heard that before for joints), Chondroitin and Curcumin? By looking for the ingredients you should be able to get more information.

Edit: I checked the glucosamine and chondroitin on German Wikipedia. They talked about a blind study in the US that was neutral and showed NO significant effects on arthritic joints

Hi Karen!!
    Glad to hear that the supplement is helping your girl. Our Norton, at 17, takes DASUQUIN in the am for achy old bones. Maybe what you have is the same thing, but the UK version!

Thanks Barbara, I had a look at that link about the trials that had been carried out. They concluded that the glucosamine and chondroitin did not help severe joint pain, but that it did have an effect on milder pain. I really don't think that Jessica has severe pain. I know that cats hide it from you, but she still wrestles daily and jumps up on the window ledge, so I will probably keep giving her the tablets anyway and see how she gets on.

I think you are right Sandra, that Dasequin looks to have a similar make-up. Has Norton started wrestling more overnight?

Actually, we started Norton on Cosaquin(sp) because it helps with the bladder muscles. Now he just gets the Dasequin to keep him limber. He does not wrestle, but every now and then, Norton TEARS thru the house at an incredible speed!!!

The question I have is....how do you get Samantha to take the pill??????

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    The question I have is....how do you get Samantha to take the pill??????
    We crush it on to a small portion of meat! Even then, it is difficult to get the correct cat to eat from the correct bowl.

The Dasequin is in a capsule form, and it is opened and mixed with Norton's food. Hopefully, Seraquin is NOT that big as the Dasequin!!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties View Post
    We crush it on to a small portion of meat! Even then, it is difficult to get the correct cat to eat from the correct bowl.
    You could color code them....oh wait...that might not work....

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    You could color code them....oh wait...that might not work....
    Yes, I think I foresee a teensy problem with this plan!
    Last edited by Killearn Kitties; 01-04-2009 at 03:18 PM.

I've never heard of this before either and I'm glad that it's making Jessica more active. Storm, however, wanted me to tell you to please make sure that Jessica doesn't fight with poor little Daisy. He said he'll fly over there to protect her if she needs him. That's how much his Daisy means to him.

Tracey, that is so sweet of Storm. And how perceptive of you, because there was one night recently, we were in the sitting room and Daisy was lying near the Christmas tree. Jessica came through from the kitchen and leapt on Daisy, the way she normally leaps on Samantha, her usual wrestling partner. Daisy is not a wrestler, and there was a flurry of paws and a lot of hissing. We had a sharp word with Jessica and threatened to stop her Seraquin if there was a repeat of this performance. She has not swatted Daisy since.

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties View Post
    Tracey, that is so sweet of Storm. And how perceptive of you, because there was one night recently, we were in the sitting room and Daisy was lying near the Christmas tree. Jessica came through from the kitchen and leapt on Daisy, the way she normally leaps on Samantha, her usual wrestling partner. Daisy is not a wrestler, and there was a flurry of paws and a lot of hissing. We had a sharp word with Jessica and threatened to stop her Seraquin if there was a repeat of this performance. She has not swatted Daisy since.
    I'm glad that you had a talk with Jessica because Storm's been worried about his sweetheart Daisy and he was ready to pack his bags and go to her.