Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux Advice for An Elderly Cat Mandu

Acid Reflux Advice for An Elderly Cat Mandu

I am having trouble swallowing, and if anyone has a nice home remedy or ideas, they would be so apprecaited.
    The Cats are intriqued as it might mean more meat, as I may have to be more vegetarian.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gary, acid reflux doesn't cause trouble swallowing. I have acid reflux and it causes really bad heart burn. I was living on antacids until the doctor diagnosed the reflux. Now I take Protonix and it takes away the burning. What other symptoms do you have besides the trouble swallowing?

Mary

Do you notice any pattern to the trouble, does it seem to happen with only certain foods? Are you also having trouble breathing, or just swallowing? This is worrying, as this is how my mother's diagnosis of ALS (Lou Gerhig's disease) started.
    I've Been Frosted

Gary, if it's truly acid reflux, you can buy papaya enzymes at GNC. Chew three of them and it'll get rid of the burning and they taste good, too. I tried Prilosec, etc. and none of them worked as well as the enzymes and you'll get immediate relief. However, if you're having trouble swallowing, then that's something else entirely and you should see a doctor immediately. I sure hope you feel better soon and that you'll keep us updated.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Gary, maybe it is your diabetes telling you to get your food re-evaluated.

Talk to your doctor and maybe lay off the buffets for a month or two.

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Gary,

Heart burn and trouble swallowing are two different problems.

Heartburn means you have a problem with your pyloric valve (pie-loh-ric) that keeps your gastric juices in your stomach. When you eat spicy, too much and lie down you get that 'blow back' that makes you miserable.

For trouble swallowing you may want to see a doc, just to be on the safe side?

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Gary,

Heart burn and trouble swallowing are two different problems.

Heartburn means you have a problem with your pyloric valve (pie-loh-ric) that keeps your gastric juices in your stomach. When you eat spicy, too much and lie down you get that 'blow back' that makes you miserable.

For trouble swallowing you may want to see a doc, just to be on the safe side?

Good luck!
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Gary, please get to the doctor as soon as you can. You do a marvelous job of taking care of the cats and you have to take care of Gary too. Please update us on this.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Gary, another possibility is a hiatal hernia. My dad had one and he had difficulty swallowing. Best to get to a dr. and have it checked out.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

What everyone else already said.

Gary, please let us know how you are doing!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    This is nothing to mess with Gary - I speak from experience. I wouldn't want to have to tell you some of my horror stories to scare you in to going. Just get to the doctor like everyone else said - Please???!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Difficulties from swallowing can all kind of trouble- from a bad cold to Parkinson. If it stays that way go see a doctor.

Gary, whatever the problem is, I think it's a good idea to cut down on the fatty things, and also drink a lot of water - that's always good.

Take care, and get an appointment with your doc monday morning. I hope it's nothing serious.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WEDNESDAY AT THE MEDICAL CENTRE FOR MY POOR SWOLLEN DIABETIC FOOT, AND THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SIME SWALLOWING TEST.
    ITS WAS BAD YESTERDAY , I BOUGHT US A SOFT ICE CREAM CONE, BUT COULDNT FINISH IT, AND SWALLOWING MY MEDS WAS A REAL CHOIR.
    OH WELL, COME WAHT MAY MY CATS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF AT THE PAMPERED FELINE FOR LIFE
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WEDNESDAY AT THE MEDICAL CENTRE FOR MY POOR SWOLLEN DIABETIC FOOT, AND THEY ARE GOING TO DO A SIME SWALLOWING TEST.
    ITS WAS BAD YESTERDAY , I BOUGHT US A SOFT ICE CREAM CONE, BUT COULDNT FINISH IT, AND SWALLOWING MY MEDS WAS A REAL CHOIR.
    OH WELL, COME WAHT MAY MY CATS ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF AT THE PAMPERED FELINE FOR LIFE
    Oh please don't talk like that you will be fine, and I am glad you have an appointment.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Fingers and paws crossed that everything will go well at the appointment, Catmandu.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678