Thread: Need some help?

Need some help?

Ok. Our roommates dog has diarrea most of the time. I took her to the vet and took a "sample" to the vet. They tested it for parasites and other things. They told me that everything was normal, but too feed her "special" dog food. We feed her Medi-Cal Hypoalgernic. They said she may be alergic to the food we were feeding her and she isn't digesting it properly. She has been on the Medi-Cal for about 5 months now and still nothing has changed. Correction...it has improved a bit and I mean a very little bit.

Is there anything else we should be looking at for her?

I'm not sure. Is the Medi-Cal what the vet recommended to stop the diarehha? Perhaps it takes awhile to run thru the system.

You could always get a second opinion.

Good luck!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

She didn't say weather it would stop the diarrea or not stop it but she did recommend it. Not sure what else to do for her. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it bother's me. I don't think it is very healthy that she has diarrea.

Are you feeding canned food or dry? We feed our pets dry food and a small portion of canned as a treat at times.

Is the dog getting enough exercise, and going to the bathroom enough? Exercise will help the regulate the dogs liquids.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

She gets dry food and I think she gets enough exercise. Maybe she needs more. She seems to have endless energy and she is a very big rottie (not fat) and a pup. She's only 1yrs old. She also gets lots of water. Oh forgot 1 thing...yes she goes to the bathroom enough. The same amount as Phoebe and Deisel and they are fine.

Unfortunately, that was most of my limited pet knowledge. Hopefully someone else will speak up with more help.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Thanks anyways, I'm just not sure what to do for her anymore. I even went to the extent of changing her water.....she gets bottled water as well as Phoebe & Deisel. Which isn't too bad since I get it for free. Deisel won't drink anything else BUT!! The house we lived in previous, you couldn't drink the water or I felt it was very unsafe so Deisel got bottled water from the cooler. Didn't think he would be able to tell the diff but...smart little Deisel he can.

I've been feeding my dogs Nutro Lamb & Rice for over a year now. I have no problem cleaning up the yard now. Very firm and less than with grocery store brands.

If the vet has ruled out parasites, you might try Nutro. They have several kinds for adults and puppies. You should notice a difference in a couple of weeks or less.

Diamond and Precise ar other good brands.

Mary

Did they tell you what ingredient the dog may be reacting to? To avoid future reactions, it is important to find this out.

My friend has a Great Dane with several different allergies, including grass and chicken. Her reactions tend to be more skin related, not digestive. However, to solve the food allergy issue they switched her to Nutro Lamb and Rice (same as mentioned in above post). It is one of the few products out there, that does not include chicken meal of any kind. She is doing great on her new food. It may be worth a try for you, as well, but be sure to be careful when switching foods. Gradually mix in new food, to give pupper tummies time to adjust.

I hope the doggy feels better soon.

That is what she was on before Nutro Lamb & Rice. We still feed Deisel & Phoebe Nutro and they are fine. The expensive Medi-Cal isn't doing much for her. We don't really see any difference, so maybe it's something else and not the food. Maybe I should have her checked for allergies?