Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat RUNS like crazy before POOP

Cat RUNS like crazy before POOP

Hi. My cat runs like crazy before and after he poops. I've taken him to the vet and she says it's normal, but sometimes I think that he might be in pain or something like that, because he meows a lot before and after too. Also, he jumps into furniture, walls, etc. He really gets "wild".

Is this normal? If not, what could be causing this? Is any exam that could proof that everything's ok with him?

Thanks!

Maria

No, that is not normal. I've had a lot of cats in my day and none of them behaved that way before or after using the litter box. They get wild and run and romp through the house but they're playing, not using the litter box. I'd go to another vet for a second opinion if I were you. I sure hope that your kitty is going to be ok. Please update us.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I will agree with Mary && to that is not normal at all.. Good Luck with a New Vet & keep us posted..
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    No, that is not normal. I've had a lot of cats in my day and none of them behaved that way before or after using the litter box. They get wild and run and romp through the house but they're playing, not using the litter box. I'd go to another vet for a second opinion if I were you. I sure hope that your kitty is going to be ok. Please update us.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I do have two cats that do this but only after using the box to take a poop. I feel kind of silly now because maybe it's really uncommon. I added the word 'Box Ballistic' to the Furminololgy thread and everybody must wonder what the heck I'm talking about!?! LOL

My cat Jimmy goes absolutely mental after he's used the box to poop. He comes flying out of there and finds the nearest thing to do his nails on (usually the carpeted step in our bedroom or the cat tree in the cat room). Then he flies around like a crazy man and throws toys up in the air and his tail gets completely fluffed and then he engages in a game of chase with my other cat Stinky.

Stinky is the other cat that also does this. She only does it every third or fourth time though. Not sure what makes it worthy of 'freaking out' but she races out of there like a bullet and does similar things like Jimmy. But out of all the cats we have, these are the only two that do it.
    They seem super happy and playful and frisky so I haven't been worried. And now that Jimmy's IBD is under control and he is having normal poops, he freaks out even more. LOL

I do wonder about your cat racing around before and meowing. It reminds me of how a cat yowls before they throw up. Maybe you could bring in a fecal sample and get it checked?

My mom's cat and a couple of mine run around like crazy after they poop but no running around before, and no meowing before or after.

Even my megacolon cat doesn't meow when he's constipated, just grunts in the sandbox.

Hmmm, can't say I've ever heard of one that does what yours is doing.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I also had a cat that used to do this - but only after pooping in the litter box - but not every time. I always attributed it to him just feeling better. My ex used to sing an old commercial whenever he saw the cat do this. Remember the old Alka Seltzer commercial? - "plop, plop, fizz, fizz - oh what a relief it is"!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oscar sometimes does this - and my mom's lilac point ALWAYS does this - it's so funny!!!

Perhaps the simplest thing to do is to take a fresh sample of poop to the vet and have them do a check on it. (just turn a fresh clean baggie/ziplock bag inside out, use it like a glove to get the sample, then turn it 'right side out'. )

Hoping your kitty is just a nut like some of the others here.

ETA: I've known some cats to also meow, as if they are announcing their accomplishment!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

My 2 boys do this

My 2 male cats do this. They will shoot of out the room where the litterbox is and down the stairs and act wild as a march hare!!!!! One of them also meows afterwards, sometimes too. I look at it as a warning to hold my nose LOL I have never thought of it as an indicator of something being wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    I do have two cats that do this but only after using the box to take a poop. I feel kind of silly now because maybe it's really uncommon. I added the word 'Box Ballistic' to the Furminololgy thread and everybody must wonder what the heck I'm talking about!?! LOL

My cat Jimmy goes absolutely mental after he's used the box to poop. He comes flying out of there and finds the nearest thing to do his nails on (usually the carpeted step in our bedroom or the cat tree in the cat room). Then he flies around like a crazy man and throws toys up in the air and his tail gets completely fluffed and then he engages in a game of chase with my other cat Stinky.
    I have a few who do this. Honey is the one who does the ballistic running around and scratching and stuff every time after using the box. He acts like a wild man!! I think it's just them feeling relieved after going to the bathroom.

I hope that your cat is fine. I have a cat with IBD/colitis and he flies out of the litter box and will also start running around after going poop. I always thought that it was because he couldn't stand the smell of it. He hardly ever covers it up and will sometimes think that he's finished but then will continue to go on my carpet. He also flies out of the litter box after he pees and will sometimes come back to cover it up.

Ever since Pearl was a kitten, she'll start meowing loudly before she uses the litter box. At first I thought that she was in pain but she just wants to announce to everyone that she's now using the litter box. She does this when she's peeing or pooping. She's a very talkative cat.

cat running & popping all over the house

Mega-Colon, a condition where the cat cannot eliminate properly. My cat began to eat excessively to help push the food through her system. When she began screaming and needing to run while pooping through the house, I knew she had a real problem. I had to go to 2 vets before she was properly diagnosed.

I'd have to agree with those who say this is not normal.

Excitement or a burst of energy AFTER using the box may not be a sign of a problem, but it also could be.

But running before and meowing a lot while going, very well could be a sign of a health issue going on.

How is your cats' stool? If it's hard and dry, it could be causing pain to actually get it out. If it's runny, soft, smelly...there could be stomach pain going on while the cat goes, much like when you have a bout of gastroenteritis or diahrea.

If you haven't had a stool sample checked, do so. If you feel your vet is not addressing the problem in a caring, concerned manner, find another vet.
    ~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Cali and Diego both come flying out of the litter box like they're on fire! But usually because one or the other is waiting on the outside of the box to pounce on the pooper! It's like it is some sort of weird cat game.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I thought I was the only one

I'm new!! My male neutered cat has been doing this for months and goes crazy after wards only. Running up and down the hallway and jumping onto the bed and then the floor just going hog wild is how I describe it. My vet told me it was normal aggression and he was just getting out of the fighting/lover mode and into a more comfortable role now that he wouldn't be a fighter or a lover anymore. That was 4 months ago and he is still aggressive at times and after bathroom breaks. He is FIV + but my vet says that has nothing to do with his behavior. Other than that he is the sweetest kitty ever. I don't know what to do, a friend of mine suggested it could be his anal sacs and they need to be squeezed to relieve pressure but my vet was speechless when i presented that option. SO Help....................

My Ming does this at night mostly. If I see him tearing through the house, I know he has just taken care of some "business". He was just at the vets a month ago and got a clean bill of health.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!