Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it sound like your cat says any words when they meow??

Does it sound like your cat says any words when they meow??

The other day Yum Yum was standing in front of the door meowing wanting outside..My husband and I could have sworn one of her meows sounded like OUT.

Just wondered if anybody else has noticed this in their babies??
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Former User Guest
    It must be because we constantly keep saying no to C & K that they know it too. The other night I was crabbing Kitty to take her to the bathroom to sleep, I swear she meowed 'no'

I'm not sure, but at several occasions I got the impression that Luna tries to immitate what I'm saying. When I'm coming home from work, I usually say "Hi, Luna!" and "Na?" (also means something like "hi" or "what's up?" in German) and sometimes she's replying with something that sounds like "nga?", and it almost has the same sound. So I thought she's trying to greet me with my own words.

Kirsten

My brother's name is Mihai, Mike in Romanian. I call him in so many different ways, one of these name is Meekee. Naomi loved him more than us and used to sleep with him. Once, a Sunday morning, my brother was still sleeping and Naomi came back from her night walk on the roof (she liked to go out on the roof some times). So we came together to my brother's room and I said: go sleep with Meekee and tried to pick her up. This moment, she said: meekee. So soft and so spoiled and so sweet, I thought I'll swallow her. Meekee also heard it and we both burst into a loud laugh, but Naomi understood we are laughing about her. Well, she was happy too
    Juni and Vasea also have their words, but they were never so close as Naomi.

What lovely stories! I have read that cats have developed verbal sounds as a result of being companion animals (i.e. they don't use these noises with each other or when not domesticated.) So it would seem logical that they would "imitate" human sounds.

That might explain why some of Edwina's noises sound distinctly like "cuss words". I keep warning my husband....

Yes, you could be right with your theory, ES. Would be kind of logical, they're probably looking for ways to communicate!

Kirsten

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    That might explain why some of Edwina's noises sound distinctly like "cuss words". I keep warning my husband....
    Not our sweet Lady Edwina!!!

Peanut says maowmwaa (mama). She did this one morning while we were lounging in bed. She jumped up and said "maowmwaa" and came right to me. Terry says, surprised "She just said mama!" I just smiled and scritched her chin. She knows where her bread is buttered.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Cat Language

I am not sure but when I pull out a package of Whiskas temptations I could swear Joseph meows TREATS!!!He absolutely loves these treats and will drag them around the floor until he opens the package then he will eat every single treat in there.Michael,when he smells chicken of any sort wilkl meow NOWWWWWW!The siamese are quite vocalk but no human sounds come from them,just a lot of MRRRROWS and EEEAOWWS!Best Wishes from Catmandu of the [email protected]
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What a fun thread!

Noah makes "hooman" noises too! He does that "mommy" thing and makes a noise that sounds like he's complaining....it's usually when my husband is playing with him...

Noel and Basil don't really make any hooman noises. Basil still does his silent meow sometimes. I've begun to imitate him and we go back and forth until he gets mad and gives me a REAL meow. hee hee, they are so fun!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Former User Guest
    I forgat Casper's auuuu auuuu meow when he is alone for exapmle in the bedroom. He likes to listen to himself and tell us where he is.

That is cute Noahsmommy...Yum Yum when she wants outside she will meow and meow..till we let her out. Sometimes I will meow back at her and she looks at me very strangely
    "Happiness Is Owning A Human!"

Visit Dutchess & Yum Yum's Website Pleassee:

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

LOL, I'm also sometimes trying to immitate Luna's language, sometimes she would reply (more or less excited), sometimes she doesn't care - guess it depends on my pronounciation or on what I've said.

Kirsten

fun thread

Thanks for posting this. I almost completely forgotten about a particular incident until this thread was posted. Scooter is our vocal (I say fussy) boy. Most the time he just complains...especially if we want to cuddle him. He does a lot of "ooowwww" noises (as if he's being hurt by being held LOL ) sometimes when we're petting him or he'll just simply fuss. He also has his "yaaaa" which is kind of funny, because I'll ask him a question and he'll respond with his "yaaaa" like he's saying yes.

The wierdest one, was when my hubby was making his move out here to CA. I had moved out previously in November, and he found a job and joined me out here in CA in Feb. He decided to drive from IN to CA with 2 cats as his driving companions. First of all...that in itself is a feat! LOL But, as the driving commenced and just seemed to continue indefinitely to our cats...it got to a point where Aaron got freaked out by Scooter fussing "aaaaroooon". It was a distinct 2 syllable name coming from the backseat. I remember Aaron telling me that it freaked him out and that he wished he had had a tape recorder or something because it was unbelievable, but Scooter just kept muttering from the backseat...wanting to be finished with the travelling in a cat carrier no doubt! LOL

I never knew Scooter was such a great talker...even saying his Daddy's name!! That would be freaky! Could you imagine??

Our Noel is a talker too...just nothing that resembles English...maybe she's speaking another language?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

there was a thread similar to this one some months back. yes somethimes I think they do imitate certain sounds or words. Louise used to 'cry' when she didn't know where Emma was, when we first got them. I would say, are you looking for Emma? Emma? and I swear she meowed in a way that sounded just like Emma!