Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do cats have an awareness of the self?

Mirrors

I got a new kitten. In our house, we have swinging half doors that keep the dogs out of a certain area of the house (bedrooms and the formal LR). My 2 adult cats can fit under the swinging doors, but I blocked it with a mirror (only thing that fit) to keep the kitten away from the dogs until she is older.

This is what happened:

Windows Media Movie [664 kbs]

That's a great video, Boscibo! I see a little bit of "Kombat Kitty" going on there.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

wow!

i just came across the "mirror" postings on this thread.....
    i really would like to know the fascination my cat has with the mirror........

thanks

OOOOPPPSSS!!!

My Windows Media Player says that can't play the movie

That video is just too sweet - thanks for sharing!!!

When I saw that, it reminded me to Luna. Once I took her with me when I visited a friend, and this friend has a huge closet and one door is a mirror, and Luna almost acted the same way - she looked like a real combat kitty!

@koxka: Maybe you don't have the latest version installed?

Kirsten

Thank you Kirten, I don't think so. I have a new laptop this summer with the XP operating sistem , so I guess that I got the latest version. ???

Thank you Kirten, I don't think so. I got a new laptop this summer with the XP operating sistem , so I guess that I got the latest version. ???

Originally posted by koxka
    ...XP operating sistem , so I guess that I got the latest version. ???
    My Media Player runs on XP and is dated Mar. 2002 and it plays the file. What is the date of your Media Player?

I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Koxka, hmmm, I would assume you have the latest version then... I'm still using Windows 98, so my Media player is definitely another one, but I had no probs.

Kirsten

Hmmm, it's a long time ago that I've posted this, and I'm still pondering this subject! LOL

Since we've got lots of new members meanwhile, I thought I'd bring this back to the top to see if anyone else got an opinion on this...

So what do you think?

Kirsten

maybe this is not exactly what you were asking Kirsten, but I see self awareness in my kitties. For example. Dylan knows which foodbowl is HIS and he hides his toys there! The kids also know enough to play tricks on each other like hiding behind a door and pouncing! I held Emily up to the mirroe and she looked at my reflection, back to me - back and forth and was confused!!! That shows intelligent awareness doesn't it?

I must have missed this post the first time around.

I don't think that a mirror is necessarily a fair test. From what I have learned, cats identify each other through smell, not sight. Since their vision is in tune for hunting and looking for movement, I'm guessing that the act of staring in the mirror isn't all that exciting for a lot of cats.

Also, I know that my cats might react to movement on the TV, but what can really get their attention is an authentic animal sound.

As for an awareness of self - I don't know how a cat would interpret that question since every cat I've ever met is 100% sure tthat the world revolves around just them and that we humans are here to serve them.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Interesting questions! When Ally was a kitten, and she would run into my bedroom, she would jump sideways and get a real fright when she saw herself reflected in the mirror on the wardrobe. But then she got used to it, and now she doesn't bother. I don't know if she realises it is herself, but she doesn;t want to fight it anymore.

Connor will sit and stare at his reflection in the mirror for a long time (but he gets easily confused, often sitting in the middle of the house and screaming as if he is lost until someone comes and "finds" him, so I am not sure what he thinks it is! (unfortunately we think he may have some minor brain-damage from being abused - sometimes his eyes look very unfocussed, and he sometimes seems to "forget"where he is)

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I think my cats are aware of nothing but themselves! lol, just kidding.....
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan

I think that My Cats , do have self awarness , but are so in control , taht they take it ,for granted! They dont have to strive to look good , as they know that they are!They are self aborbsed , as we allow them , by feeding them, and providing shelter , to concentrate , on themselves! I notice this difference , between my Cats , and The Strays , that come , for thier Meals here!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS