Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustards for Christmas??

Mustards for Christmas??

I know I must sound crazy, but hear me out. My parents said we were not allowed to buy them anything this year, and they know I'm broker than broke, so said I could cook or bake them things (last year it was danish puff pastry with apricot and cream cheese fillings for each of them).

Well, this year I have challenge with my dad. He said sure I can make him the Hershey's Fudge as usual, but didn't sound really thrilled by it. So, I'm trying to think of what else he likes alot that I can make for him.

The man LOVES mustards. All kinds of mustards!! So, I set out to find mustard recipes to make for him for Christmas. It's a little involved in some of of the recipes (let this sit for 3 hours, but start part 2 one hour before the 3rd hour is up.... refridgerate for 36 hours, and then do this, this, and this...

So, I thought, it's for Dad. Dad is always worth it. ALWAYS. So, so far today I have made 6 mustards for my dad. Some I'm not sure if they are to be thin or if I just goofed or not, but taste really good. Others are thick and really yummy, and just clear out your sinuses something fierce.

I thought I'm include some of the fave recipes here that I've tried today. The first one may sound strange, but it's the best of the bunch.

BLACKBERRY MUSTARD

Serves/Makes: 1 cup | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30 minutes
    Ingredients:
    1 cup fresh blackberries
    7 tablespoons hot Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard

Directions:
    Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add blackberries. Process about 1 minute or until smooth; strain and discard seeds.

Combine blackberry puree, Dijon mustard, and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well.

Pour in to a decorative jar or a canning jar and keep in the refridgerator. It is absolutely scrumptious!!! It just calls out for pretzels for dipping them in!

My 2nd favorite mustard is next (and I could eat it by the spoonful). If you've ever had hot bacon dressing on spinach or lettuce, this reminds me of it sooooo much!!! I could eat it like that too.

Bacon Scallion Horseradish Mustard

Category: Mustard
    Serves/Makes: 3 cups | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: 30-60 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 cup dry mustard
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup finely chopped cooked bacon
    1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
    4 large eggs
    2 teaspoons dried tarragon
    1 teaspoon creamed horseradish

Directions:
    Mix the mustard and the vinegar in a non-aluminum saucepan; let sit 30 minutes for the mustard to dissolve. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and tarragon. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and is very hot to the touch. Do not boil.

Stir in the bacon and the scallions. Immediately remove to a bowl or decorative glass jar and cool to room temperature. The mustard may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for several months.

I do have others. Sweet German Coarse Grained; Basic Coarse Grained Mustard; Horseradish Mustard; Green Peppercorn Mustard, Sweet German, Tomato Herb. They all sound good. Bought some nice canning jars at Walmart too, so I'm all set, and they're all labeled!

Mom's candies will come up next week. Her's are more fussy, and more delicate.

Jenn, I think that is a wonderful idea!!! Good for you, taking the time to make these special mustards for your dad. Make sure to take him a package of good hotdogs and/or sausages and some pretzels to go along with them!!!

Bacon and Mustard!!!!! I will make that! I would have never thought to combine the 2. Fawesome and thank you for sharing.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Glad I could give ou some inspiration there Blue!! LOL! We dutchy people make something called hot bacon dressing too, and it has bacon and mustard in it and you serve it warm over spinach or field greens. It's freakign out of this world! Wos Wit Company makes their own version as well (and they do ship anywhere).

Jenn,

I am going to stop reading your threads.

The absolute best effing thing about doing something like that for your dad is spectacular.

I have ended up with gifts like that that I have used WAY AFTER Christmas and had myself a great time thinking about where they came from and what that person did to make them.

One year a couple of gals in a office made me a tin of cookies to say thanks for the work I did for them. I kept the tin and when I look at it I remember the thought and the work.

You just ahve to worry about a call and the complaint about how good they were and the heartburn they caused.

Get over your bad self!

It took me a few minutes to figure this thread out. First I read about fudge and then mustard. I was trying to figure out mustard flavored fudge and being thin or thick. I was so confused. BUT...now I get it. I never would have thought of anything like that. You'll have to let us know what your dad thinks!

This is too awesome for words, Jennie!! Can I be in your family? Such a great idea. I would be beside myself to get gifts like that. The mustards sound delicious!! This is the most thoughtful thing I've ever heard of , by the way. Not only is food a great gift but a food that is custom made for the person....... INCREDIBLE!!!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Those sound YUMMY! I am going to have to save those and give them a try.... especially the blackberry one!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

what a sweet daughter you are indeed, can i be cheeky and ask for the Hershey's Fudge recipe, being the chocoholic i am , as soon as I saw that, i just had to have it PLEASE.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

LOL, sure Carole!

Dad’s Favorite Fudge
    (Hershey’s Fudge)

3 c. sugar
    2/3 c. cocoa
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 c. milk
    1/4 c. margerine
    1 tsp. vanilla

Butter a square 9x9 inch pan.

Combine sugar, cocoa and salt in medium sized pot. Add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil without stirring to soft ball stage = forms a ball in cold water.

Add margerine and vanilla. Stir lightly, then let sit.

Cool to room temperature. Beat fudge until thick and looses it gloss. Spread into prepared pan and cool. Cut into squares.

A visit to the Mount Horeb mustard museum has been on my list of things to do for years. Your dad will have to go too, and while he's at it he can bring me some of your mustards so I can try them
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

What a great thread and a wonderful thing to do. My Mom loves a good mustard so I'll print off these recipes for later.

I remember years ago I made "potted shrimp" for my Dad and it was a real hit. It comes from a book called "Food as Presents" and I think I still have it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm always so grateful when I receive a homemade gift of any kind. It tells me that the person really put thought and effort into it and personalized it. You've really outdone yourself w/this gift, Jenn. I think it's fabulous!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Awesome idea! Even better that you can follow through and MAKE these things, gosh that is a real talent! Great job!

Homemade mustards... what an excellent idea! Your dad will love it!

Your second recipe, I'll have to try.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.