View Poll Results: Which Prescription Diet do you use?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hill's Prescription Diet c/d

5 33.33%
  • Royal Canin Urinary SO 33

3 20.00%
  • Other - please share

5 33.33%
  • I don't need to feed a prescription diet

2 13.33%

Thread: Prescription Cat Food - Which one?

Prescription Cat Food - Which one?

Because of Logan's recent urinary blockage (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=148976), I would like to switch him to a prescription diet.

Two brands seem to come up most often... Hill's Prescription Diet c/d and Royal Canin Urinary SO 33.

If you feed these, which do you use and why?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I used to feed Storm Royal Canin Urinary S/O because he liked the taste of it better than the Hills C/D. I also liked the fact that it would help prevent both the struvite and the calicium oxalate crystals although I think that the canned version helps with the calcium oxalate crystals better than just the dry. I think that you also need to make sure that Logan gets plenty of water or canned food mixed with water each day. This seems to be the key in preventing UTI's or crystals.

I now feed Storm Innova Evo because Starr and Pearl need to be on a grain free diet. I was afraid to feed this to Storm at first but both my regular vet and my holistic vet said that as long he got plenty of canned food mixed with water every day that he should be okay. He's now been on this food for about 2 years or so and he's doing great. Good luck.

I feed Royal Canin SO. But I fed Hills c/d for YEARS!!!!!!! I made the switch when Rutherford became blocked with calcium oxylate crystals and Hills c/d was still only formulated for struvite crystals. Now both foods are used for both types of crystals.

I don't feed the canned, even though I probably should.

Rambler gets Purina UR. He didn't like c/d and way back when he blocked (struvite) I didn't know about Royal Canin (and it might not have been available then.)

In any case, he likes the UR and hasn't blocked again .

Scout is on Purina U/R for her kidney stones, bladder stones and crystals. I also started Decker on it last week when he started peeing blood and the vet said to continue him on it. Since Scout has only been on it for about 6 weeks I can't say a lot about it but she is feeling much better, more playful (and bossy) and she and Decker love the taste. Of course all the other cats do too so it's a challenge to keep them out of it.

From Decker with Love

When Fister was blocked, he had Hills S/D and after the operation, we switched him to C/D. He preferred S/D, it is fatter, so has probably more taste. However, he started getting blood in his poo, so the vet recommended we mix the S/D with W/D and that helped.

Since then, he has had other brands, like Royal Canin S/O which is quite good too.But Fister really loves the Royal Canin Sensitive, and I give it as treats.

Fister gets mostly dry food, and about two spoonfulls of wet food three times a week. He also gets the occasional slice of raw meat or fish.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Hills Recuperative and A/D are the ones that I use when the Found Ctas have dental Ouchies in thier Mouthies, and of the two I prefer the Recuperative as thats more palatable to my Senior Kittyzens.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

When I worked as a tech I knew lots of kitties who were on both the Hill's and the Royal Canin, and all of them did well. Purrhaps you could get a small amount of each and see if your furkids have a preference.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

My former foster Hunter was on the Royal Canin and he loved it.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Lexie is on Royal Canin SO and doing very well indeed, we started on Hills, and we had major issues with constipation,so i am no fan of hills,but from what everyone else is saying they are both good products,kitties choice i think,see which appeals most to kitties tastebuds,Lexie preferred royal canin for sure
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Smudge was on Royal Canin SO when he moved in, but it wasn't working, so the vet suggested Hill's c/d. Luckily, it works and he loves it. But it's really so dependent on each cat's body chemistry that we really were just lucky that he happens to enjoy the one that turned out to be right for him. (He also gets a little bit of non-prescription wet food, mostly as a bribe to get him to eat all the supplements & extra water I mix into it.)

Love, Columbine