Thread: bladder issues?

bladder issues?

Our 4 1/2 month old Boxer/Lab mix puppy can't seem to hold his pee like he should be able to. I know hes still a bit young to have complete control, but sometimes he'll be walking across the floor and his bladder empties in such a gush I hear it hit the linoleum floor with a splat! Its nearly impossible to crate him for more than 2 hours because he pees in the crate and becomes very distressed. He has been examined by our Vet a few times and she can't find any sign of abnormality or infection.

Is this something he will outgrow? The Vet said he is growing at a very rapid weight- hes 40 lbs already and has the appetite of a horse. Maybe his bladder can't keep up with his rapid growth?

Its frustrating because he has been very destructive around the house (ruined a sofa completely) but we can't crate him if we'll be gone for more than 2 hours. He does seem to be able to hold it in for 4 hours at night. He acts embarrased when he does pee on the floor and immediately wants to go outside.

I'm confused and a little tired of cleaning up pee Help!
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet

I'm not well versed with the specifics of dog training, but I think the whole point of crate training is for them to realize that wetting in your sleeping area is not pleasant?

If the dog gets that bent out of shape could it be separation anxiety?

I'm bumping this thread so the far more knowledgeable dog people may be able to help you out with their usual helpful suggestions.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

yeah, Tanner does that when I come home from lessons or when people baby talk him. It obnoxious. I am sorry.

i hope that this helps!!!

maybe if your dog is having those problems you might need to get him a diaper for dogs-but just a warning this diaper is meant for female dogs when they are in heat so it might seem odd putting it on a boy-
    another situation in maybe change his food or put a pee pad in his cage

Have you spoken to the vet about this to rule out a medical reason?
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, he's been to see our Vet several times about this and they have ruled out infection and physical abnormality.
    Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet