Thread: Is it okay to change a cats name??

Is it okay to change a cats name??

Just one question... im getting two kitties tomorrow and i don't like their names and wanted to see what you guys thought about changing names? They are 9 months old. Would it be best to use their old names until they are settled or change them right away?

Hi. I would probably wait because if you wait and then change their names immediately after having their old names they will get confused.

Good luck on the new furbabies!

Personally I'd start using their new names right away. I mean strays may have had other names, or multiple names, but seem to figure out what their new name is without any problems. JMHO

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

These 2 are young, as I recall -- 9 months! So start now with their new names. You can hyphen the names for a week or so, so they get used to hearing it and know which of them you mean.

When Alicat came here, I changed her name to Mandy. I said "Ali= Mandy" for a while, then Mandy Cat for a while. Once she would look at me when I said her name,* I moved on to the next level. Now, she is just Mandy.

*Keeping in mind that these are CATS of course; they don't always WANT to acknowledge you, lol! I always had treats in my hand to help with that.

If you feel that you must change their names...

I'd change them now...The sooner the better since they are young.

That said, the easiest and least confusing thing for the kitties is to not change them at all if you can find a way to live with their current names. Adjusting to a new home and people is a lot to deal with, along with name changes too.

I don't think there would be a problem changing their names. I'm always coming up with new nicknames for my little ones and they seem to catch on really fast. At the beginning, say the new names often, especially when you are petting or interacting with them, and offer them a little treat if they look at or respond to you or come to you when you call them, and they'll not only learn it fast, they'll like the names too!

Hey, I hate my name, but like it a lot better if someone gives me chocolate when they say it.

I once read somewhere that in naming animals, especially cats, the best names are ones with a hard consonant sound to them. The article said that's what they recognize, not necessarily the whole name, and the sound should be different for each cat so they learn quickly who's who. For example, two cats named Callie and Corinna might confuse them, but Callie and Zelda, it's easier for them to differeniate between the "K" and "Z" sound.

Don't know if it's true, but I read it once!