Thread: Personal Responsibility in the 21st Century?

Personal Responsibility in the 21st Century?

The last few weeks have made me shake my head in disbelief at the sheer stupidity of mankind.

Most of it centers around the wonder of 'social media' - the key word being 'social'?

---------
    A couple of weeks ago Curt Schilling, a former pro baseball player, went on 'social' media to brag about his daughter being accepted to a college where she was going to pitch for the school's softball team.

After he sent that out over the 'airwaves', some idiots decided to shoot back some pretty vicious and vile stuff about his daughter. Even I was shocked at what some of the content was - and I can be pretty raw at times? This went past the point of 'bullying'.....

Schilling found out who a few of the culprits were and threatened legal action against them.

-------

Last week there was the idiots from the fraternity who posted the video with the racist chants.

-------

Yesterday, I saw two more instances of 'interwebz idiots'...

Ashley Judd, who is a Kentucky Wildcat fan, was posting about a basketball game she was at and again, people began to answer her with some pretty crass and crude posts....I have been around some guys and have had some good natured banter about sports, but I have never, ever heard anyone make comments anywhere near some of the stuff they said.....to a woman, even.

The last incident that made me shake my head was the Penn State fraternity that had posted the photos of women who were passed out, nude or place in suggested poses while they were unconscious...

THAT story had me stumped because it involved two different kinds of irresponsibility......People drinking too much and people who preyed on them.

I have no problem with people who want to go out and 'have a good time' but therein lies the rub?

Anyway.

What kind of AHs would take photos of drunk/nude women and post them on the interwebz? But, then again, who drinks until they become so incapacitated that they become a photo on 'social media'????

You do owe it to yourself NOT to drink until you go blind - Yes, I know people will spike a person's drink - but there is a certain level of responsibility that a person should own up to when they drink. I am of the mind that no one is going to 'take care' of you 24/7 - that job is yours and yours alone.

-------

Every story I see about 'social media' and 'bullying' make me more and more immune to feeling shocked about them. The other stories - about people who commit a crime, then put it out on the internet only to be caught - make me even more convinced that people are genuinely stupid......Too bad the responsible people are too boring to even mention?

Sadly this is what you get when you have a generation raised with not having to face up to life. Everyone gets a trophy. Everyone wins. Lots of parents can't control themselves let alone their children. If it feels good do it. Never mind that it hurts someone else, the worst that will happen is you get a pat on the hand and counceling and are out to do it again. People don't even fear the afterlife any more because lots of them don't believe there is one.

Remove morals and dislcipline from the schools and families and the government and you get a lost society.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Sadly this is what you get when you have a generation raised with not having to face up to life. Everyone gets a trophy. Everyone wins. Lots of parents can't control themselves let alone their children. If it feels good do it. Never mind that it hurts someone else, the worst that will happen is you get a pat on the hand and counceling and are out to do it again. People don't even fear the afterlife any more because lots of them don't believe there is one.

Remove morals and dislcipline from the schools and families and the government and you get a lost society.
    Growing up - a good arse whupping - in school, on the field or in life was something that was a learning experience.

You walked away from it a little humbled, with a little grace and the idea that second place isn't the 'first loser'.

You learned to respect the winners, you played harder after you lost and realized that you 'won' by being in the game.

I was watching a talking head/news guy talk about the NCAA tournament - he wasn't going to predict the games (fill out a bracket) because 'his teams were going to lose' and that would take all the fun out of it...I laughed.

No one likes a loser - especially one that admits it freely?

-----

I filled out my brackets, I am probably going to lose a few games, but I am going to have a good time doing it.

You cannot win them all, but when you do get one right?

There is no better feeling.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Here is another topic for Personal Responsibility in the 21st......

Mom was a very pragmatic woman and she gave me and my sibs some pretty cut and dry advice for Personal Responsibility....or PR21?

Mom gave us some 'rules' for being criminals.

Yep, she gave us some thoughts on breaking the law....

1) If you do go out and commit a crime, do it by yourself. Your buddies will rat you out if they are caught.
    2) If you do get caught, keep your mouth shut. She'd quote a lawyer she knew, "Mr. Lake said, your mouth will get you in trouble".
    3) Do not call me if you get into trouble, Call your friends.
    4) You will find out who your friends are when that happens....
    5) If you hang out where there is something shady going on - and you know about this or have a hand in it - DO NOT CRY OR BIATCH, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.
    6) IF you are caught, stop and remember, "QUIEN TE MANDO" - WHO SENT YOU? This was her little bit of advice to take BEFORE you got caught up in breaking the law, Remember who the person is that put you in that position.
    7) There was a time when she believed that all cops were good people and most are...but there are a few knuckleheads out there - as there are in every job class?

Momma M didn't advocate going out and committing crimes, her 'advice' was merely a blueprint on how stupid you can be, with and without your friends - most of the time on your own??
    ------------

The last rule? About cops?

I ALWAYS have a good hearty laugh when I hear parents talk about 'having the talk' regarding how to act when a police officer pulls you over?

Here is the deal.

When a cop pulls you over, don't treat them as a friend or an enemy. This is more like a 'transaction". How it turns out will mainly hinge on how you act when that cop first walks up to you. IF you have done something stupid, be polite and take your lumps.

I learned that the more you push back, the more harder you will get pushed back. If you act like an AH, chances are you are going to get treated like an AH.

----------

I laughed - I know probably NOT the right kind of reaction to have - when I heard the latest 'racist beatdown of a college kid'.

I don't know the exact details of the beatdown - I did get the laughable presser with his attorney.

He is a good student, known and popular?

Here is a guy who decided - at the underage of 20 - to go to an area where there are bars and gets into a conversation with a bar bouncer. I get the idea that he wasn't passing out bible tracts or trying to preach temperance to the crowd?

Obviously, he isn't going to be admitting into an establishment serving alcohol - it is March Madness and I am sure a few college kids are going to be out looking for a buzz and a TV to watch the game? It's not as much fun watching it in the dorm with your other underage buddies?

He meets up with a few ABC officers and ends up on the ground with a bleeding head.

Now, just because he is a black kid, it's a case of racism.

NOT A CASE OF A STUPID COLLEGE KID out looking for a buzz and getting jammed up for being stupid.

It's a case of a black man who's civil rights were violated because he is black - no mention of how or why his actions led up to his interaction with those ABC cops?

These days your own personal responsibility is left out of HOW YOU END UP on the ground, outside of a bar with a bleeding head. You did nothing and just so happened to be walking down the street and got punked because two ABC cops didn't like the way you looked?

Granted, no one deserves to have their head split open in a fight, but when you have a hand in how it happens and end up blaming it on your looks rather than accepting responsibility for YOUR part of the incident?

You do not have too much in the way of 'PR21'...
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Here is another topic for Personal Responsibility in the 21st......

Mom was a very pragmatic woman and she gave me and my sibs some pretty cut and dry advice for Personal Responsibility....or PR21?

Mom gave us some 'rules' for being criminals.

Yep, she gave us some thoughts on breaking the law....

1) If you do go out and commit a crime, do it by yourself. Your buddies will rat you out if they are caught.
    2) If you do get caught, keep your mouth shut. She'd quote a lawyer she knew, "Mr. Lake said, your mouth will get you in trouble".
    3) Do not call me if you get into trouble, Call your friends.
    4) You will find out who your friends are when that happens....
    5) If you hang out where there is something shady going on - and you know about this or have a hand in it - DO NOT CRY OR BIATCH, TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.
    6) IF you are caught, stop and remember, "QUIEN TE MANDO" - WHO SENT YOU? This was her little bit of advice to take BEFORE you got caught up in breaking the law, Remember who the person is that put you in that position.
    7) There was a time when she believed that all cops were good people and most are...but there are a few knuckleheads out there - as there are in every job class?

Momma M didn't advocate going out and committing crimes, her 'advice' was merely a blueprint on how stupid you can be, with and without your friends - most of the time on your own??
    ------------

The last rule? About cops?

I ALWAYS have a good hearty laugh when I hear parents talk about 'having the talk' regarding how to act when a police officer pulls you over?

Here is the deal.

When a cop pulls you over, don't treat them as a friend or an enemy. This is more like a 'transaction". How it turns out will mainly hinge on how you act when that cop first walks up to you. IF you have done something stupid, be polite and take your lumps.

I learned that the more you push back, the more harder you will get pushed back. If you act like an AH, chances are you are going to get treated like an AH.

----------

I laughed - I know probably NOT the right kind of reaction to have - when I heard the latest 'racist beatdown of a college kid'.

I don't know the exact details of the beatdown - I did get the laughable presser with his attorney.

He is a good student, known and popular?

Here is a guy who decided - at the underage of 20 - to go to an area where there are bars and gets into a conversation with a bar bouncer. I get the idea that he wasn't passing out bible tracts or trying to preach temperance to the crowd?

Obviously, he isn't going to be admitting into an establishment serving alcohol - it is March Madness and I am sure a few college kids are going to be out looking for a buzz and a TV to watch the game? It's not as much fun watching it in the dorm with your other underage buddies?

He meets up with a few ABC officers and ends up on the ground with a bleeding head.

Now, just because he is a black kid, it's a case of racism.

NOT A CASE OF A STUPID COLLEGE KID out looking for a buzz and getting jammed up for being stupid.

It's a case of a black man who's civil rights were violated because he is black - no mention of how or why his actions led up to his interaction with those ABC cops?

These days your own personal responsibility is left out of HOW YOU END UP on the ground, outside of a bar with a bleeding head. You did nothing and just so happened to be walking down the street and got punked because two ABC cops didn't like the way you looked?

Granted, no one deserves to have their head split open in a fight, but when you have a hand in how it happens and end up blaming it on your looks rather than accepting responsibility for YOUR part of the incident?

You do not have too much in the way of 'PR21'...
    Thank you!! Well said!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)