Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Politics

Hybrid View

Illinois Politics

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/b...120908.article

Don't ya just love it when these guys get busted. Watch em' squirm now, like roaches when you hit the lights.

It also just so happens our next leader is from Illinois... I quote from the linked article....

"The head of the FBI office in Chicago said if Illinois isn’t the most corrupt state in the United States, it’s a strong competitor."

Of course, Lord Barry knew nothing about this... Nope, not him. LOL Break out the tap dancing shoes boys!!!
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

It must be in the water in Illinois. The previous governor, George Ryan, a Republican, is serving 6 and a half years in Federal prison on federal corruption charges.

Equal opportunity transgressors, don't you think?

From the Chicago Tribune, back in 2006 -

George Ryan Sr., a consummate political dealmaker who rose to become Illinois' 39th governor, was convicted Monday on sweeping federal corruption charges of wielding power to help himself and his friends.

After a historic, marathon trial, a federal jury in its 11th day of deliberations found Ryan guilty on all 18 counts of steering state business to cronies for bribes, of gutting corruption-fighting efforts to protect political fundraising and of misusing state resources for political gain.

Ryan's co-defendant, lobbyist and longtime friend Lawrence Warner, was also found guilty on all 12 counts against him.

I don't think it Illinois....

I think it's POLITICIANS!

The ones in Illinois are just getting caught

Grace, Jen....

I totally agree that this has nothing to do with a particular party. It is more about, "show me your friends and I will show you your future."
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Alaska Politics

Oh what a web we weave....if Blagojevich is a reflection on Obama because they are politicians from the same state...

doesn't that mean Stevens...a convicted felon from Alaska... is a reflection on Palin?

That is a silly game that really shouldn't be played!

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Hello, Gov (Democrat) ... did you not learn anything from the whole corruption thing with Ryan (Republican)? And did you not think about your wife and children? You had an opportunity to do right in selecting someone to complete Obama's Senate term, and you blew it. There is going to be a special session of the Illinois House and Senate next week to come up with a way to separate him from the gubernatorial duty of appointing Obama's successor. I'm sure Lincoln and Reagan are turning over in their graves.

Meanwhile... on a day that started with rain and is ending with snow ... Obama met with Al Gore in Chicago this afternoon about the environment and other topics. I would love to have been a bug on the wall at that meeting just to have heard what Gore had to say to him, what suggestions or ideas they came up with.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The current govenor of Louisiana, Bobby Jindal, is being floated as a possible Republican candidate for president.

It will be interesting to see if the same folk who want to tar Obama with the corruption of Illinois politics will feel the same way about Jindal.

Or if it will be another case of...situational ethics!

GOv. Jindal intrigues me, BUT....................

given the poitical history of the state (recent, at that) I'd be "concerned" with ethical questions.

Same with anyone out of Providence (I seriously doubt Buddy Cianci is the only pol in Providence with Mob ties) or parts of Boston. (Sen. Wilkerson, please, it's not racism YOU WERE CAUGHT STUFFING AN EVELOPE FULL OF BRIBE MONEY INTO YOUR BRA!!!)

While I doubt anyone is truly clean and pure as the wind driven snow, it amazes me the things politicians are given a pass on by the press and the public at large.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

As an aside....

TO the media and general public....

Can we at least wait until 2010 and a half or so BEFORE WE START THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?????????????
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    As an aside....

TO the media and general public....

Can we at least wait until 2010 and a half or so BEFORE WE START THE NEXT PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?????????????
    According to the article posted you will also need to worry about politicians from New York, Texas, Florida (especially Florida!), New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

As for waiting until 2010...you might want to tell more than just the media and the general public...Bobby was in Iowa making a speech recently.

Don't you think you might want to tell the Wannabes as well?
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 12-22-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Almost forgot PA!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    . . . . . . . .

Same with anyone out of Providence (I seriously doubt Buddy Cianci is the only pol in Providence with Mob ties) or parts of Boston. (Sen. Wilkerson, please, it's not racism YOU WERE CAUGHT STUFFING AN EVELOPE FULL OF BRIBE MONEY INTO YOUR BRA!!!)

While I doubt anyone is truly clean and pure as the wind driven snow, it amazes me the things politicians are given a pass on by the press and the public at large.
    Ah yes, Buddy Cianci. I wasn't living in Rhode Island while he was the Mayor. Anyone else read the book about him - Prince of Providence? Now he's out of prison, back in Providence, holding court once again. He even has a radio show on WPRO.

Life goes on . . . . .

Yeah, I noticed that.

It's called an election CYCLE because there are supposed to be lulls between bouts of chaos.

Given the poitical history of the state (recent, at that) I'd be "concerned" with ethical questions.

I'm always amazed & constantly concerned with the "ethics" displayed
    by GW Bush & his buddies. Read this article on the recent bank bailout
    and how this country got royally screwed yet again.

Click on Washingto Post for the article.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot...s-on-bank.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The bank bailout was approved by Congress, who failed to appoint an oversight agency as rapidly as they passed the bill to hand out the money.

It's a cluster...........but to blame it solely on the executive is inaccurate. (There isn't much of Pres. Bush's domestic agenda I agree with, frankly it's time for a little chlorine in the political gene pool on all sides)

The bank bailout was approved by Congress, who failed to appoint an oversight agency as rapidly as they passed the bill to hand out the money.

Did you actually read the article? provisions were included in the bill but
    the last minute change by the White House, effectively negated the provisions made to moniter how it was spent. We could blame the Treasury
    Dept., but the change was made as requested from Bush.

Executive Pay Limits May Prove Toothless
    Loophole in Bailout Provision Leaves Enforcement in Doubt

By Amit R. Paley
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, December 15, 2008; Page A01

Congress wanted to guarantee that the $700 billion financial bailout would limit the eye-popping pay of Wall Street executives, so lawmakers included a mechanism for reviewing executive compensation and penalizing firms that break the rules.

But at the last minute, the Bush administration insisted on a one-sentence change to the provision, congressional aides said. The change stipulated that the penalty would apply only to firms that received bailout funds by selling troubled assets to the government in an auction, which was the way the Treasury Department had said it planned to use the money.

Now, however, the small change looks more like a giant loophole, according to lawmakers and legal experts. In a reversal, the Bush administration has not used auctions for any of the $335 billion committed so far from the rescue package, nor does it plan to use them in the future. Lawmakers and legal experts say the change has effectively repealed the only enforcement mechanism in the law dealing with lavish pay for top executives.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt