Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Politics

Lynn Sweet's article in today's on-line Chicago Sun-Times. How dare Blago compare himself to Mandela, Dr. King or Gandhi.

"Impeached Gov. Blagojevich, on the first leg of his media blitz timed to the start of his impeachment trial, in an NBC interview broadcast on The Today Show Sunday compared himself to human rights heros Nelson Mandela, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi.

"On the press offensive, Blagojevich has lined up national interviews--NBC, ABC, "The View" to run as his impeachment trail starts Monday before the Illinois state senate in Springfield.

"Blagojevich, wearing a blue ivy league shirt, told NBC's Amy Robach that he has not prepared mentally for possibly going to prison. The impeachment was triggered by Blagojevich's Dec. 9 arrest on criminal charges, including trying to auction off President Obama's vacant senate seat.

"As Dec. 9 unfolded, Blagojevich told NBC, "I thought about Mandela, Dr. King and Gandhi and tried to put some perspective to all this and that is what I am doing now."

"Blagojevich is not going to participate in his defense because he says the rules are rigged against him. He will not be in Springfield for his trial; instead he will be doing nationally televised interviews.

"The governor told NBC that the state Senate trial will be so unfair, he could bring in "15 angels and 20 saints led by Mother Theresa" to testify on his behalf and "it wouldn't matter." "
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Did you see his news speech where he talked about cowboys & the
    old West?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

3. I spoke with my family in Illinois this weekend. They are so embarrassed.

I think it interesting...there was one desenting vote -- against impeachment.

It was Blagovich's sister-in-law -- sister of his wife!

From the Chicago-Tribune -

"Impeached Gov. Rod Blagojevich has hired a public relations firm. . . . Among the clients listed at the firm's Web site are former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, who is suspected in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    From the Chicago-Tribune

"Impeached Gov. Rod Blagojevich has hired a public relations firm. . . . Among the clients listed at the firm's Web site are former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson, who is suspected in the disappearance of his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson. . . .
    Guess who I thought of when I heard this on the news? Richard!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

The saga continues ... Even if Blago is removed from office, he does not lose his state pension. I think he should - I believe Gov. Ryan did.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    The saga continues ... Even if Blago is removed from office, he does not lose his state pension. I think he should - I believe Gov. Ryan did.
    If Rod is convicted of a felony he too will lose his state pension. Fingers crossed!

Did you see Geraldo Rivera defending Blagovich???? Wow!!!!

"Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

The Illinois State Senate voted 59-0 to remove him from office and also that he could never again hold public office in Illinois. The lieutenant governor was very quietly sworn in, but they're going to ceremonially swear him in again shortly, so I'm sure that will be all over the late news.

I don't know if you can see it in this picture but the right-hand side of the sign says "Rod R. Blagojevich, Governor". I heard on news radio that these toll road signs would be removed tomorrow if in fact he was taken out of office. I'd like to go out and do it tonight!

If something happens to the lieutenant governor between now and the 2010 election, the Illinois Attorney General is next in line and she has said publicly that she doesn't want to be governor.

I'm glad it's over and justice prevailed.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    If Rod is convicted of a felony he too will lose his state pension. Fingers crossed!

Did you see Geraldo Rivera defending Blagovich???? Wow!!!!
    What on earth did Geraldo have to say in Blago's defense?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Illinois ... Where our governors make our license plates

Better than Boston.....

Boston's mayor ran the city from a jail cell for a while.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Or Providence, no offense Rhode Islanders ... but Buddy Cianci springs to mind ...
    I've Been Frosted

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-draws-outrage

One blunder on top of another?

The mayor of East Haven, Conn., came under a torrent of criticism Wednesday for telling a TV reporter “I might have tacos” when asked about how he would support the Latino community in the aftermath of the arrest of four town police officers accused of racially profiling and bullying Latino residents.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy called Mayor Joseph Maturo's comments "repugnant" and "unacceptable." An attorney for some Latinos suing the town police department called the comments “appalling.” Some residents said the mayor should step down.

------------------------------------

Words are nothing but words.

But, Tacos are 99 cents at Taco Bell, unless you get the 12 pak.

I think it's more offensive that he would not consider the 'special' you get beans and rice with your tacos.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.