Thread: Dermamaxx?

Dermamaxx?

I had to take Delilah to the vet today. She was diagnosed with a bad sprain a month ago and given Rimadyl for it. She was getting better and then she apparently reinjured it. This was a few days ago. I took her to the vet and he thinks she's torn an ACL. He gave me Duramaxx to give her to see if she gets any better. If not, he says she'll need surgery.

Has anyone here tried Duramaxx and does anyone know if it's better, worse, or the same as Rimadyl?

She was given her first dose today and I see no improvement at all. With the Rimadyl, she showed improvement right away. I really hope she doesn't need surgery.
    Last edited by Daisy and Delilah; 12-30-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

What about getting x-rays before surgery, it sounds less drastic. Soft tissue damage won't show on x-rays but if it's a chipped bone or any bone issue it will show up and you can go from there. If the dog improved on Rimadyl why did the vet change it I wonder? Have you tried the dog aspirin you can buy at your pharmacy? Much cheaper and might be better in the long run. I wouldn't rush into surgery right now, I would want to know for sure what the cause of the pain is.

Duramaxx has less side effects than Rimadyl does which may be why your vet switched since your dog was on it not that long ago. Both drugs are in the same class of medications and basically do the same thing.

The Rimadyl may have seemed to work 'right away' because the original injury was not as severe. Being that this is a re-injury the damage is probably more extensive than before.

I hope your dog just has another sprain and will heal without surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by shepgirl View Post
    Have you tried the dog aspirin you can buy at your pharmacy? Much cheaper and might be better in the long run.
    Asprin is hard on the liver and does not work as well as the NSAID's from the vet.
    DO NOT give asprin with the NSAIDS (Duramaxx/Rimadyl/Metacam etc) as it can cause BAD side effects!!!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Oreo recently ruptured her cruciate ligament. (You can see the thread in Dog Health about it.) At our first vet visit, the vet suspected the injury, but couldn't be sure. She prescribed Deramaxx and rest for a few days. After no improvement, she took x-rays while Oreo was sedated. The tear won't show up on the x-ray. But, apparently, when a dog is sedated, the vet can move the knee a certain way to confirm the tear.

We had surgery to repair the tear because Oreo is a large dog. I've read online that sometimes in very small dogs the tear heals without surgery.

I, too, was worried about giving her Deramaxx because I read awful stories online. But, we did a blood test before we started it to check her BUN and creatnine levels, and then I watched her closely for side effects while she took it.

Anyways, in total, Oreo took Deramaxx for about 5 weeks. It helped her pain and inflamation. But, it's not something I'd want to giver her long-term, because of possible kidney and liver side effects.

I have no experience with Rimadyl, so I can't compare.
    Oreo and Molly

I have a 35 pound 13 year old dog that has arthritis. She was prescribed Deramaxx a quarter of a pill once per day. I don't know what the strength of the pill is off hand and Morgan just decided to lie on my lap. I noticed improvement in Maddie's mobility right away. She hasn't held her leg up one time since she's been on it. She had a blood panel done first. But I was having that done anyway because of her age.

Thanks so much to everybody. My questions are all answered. I knew you all could help me.

Delilah spent the day at the vet today. They had to sedate her and take x-rays. He said the sedation was because he had to manipulate the leg. I saw her x-rays when I went back to get her. The doctor was really thorough with the info. He knew how nervous and scared I am about this. Having five knee surgeries in two years myself, I am practically a trained expert on looking at x-rays. The picture of her knee showed a huge offset of the femur and the tibia. She definitely has a torn ligament. It was pretty bad. Not a big surprise, considering how she runs around like a puppy.

The vet told me that her leg has started healing on it's own and that's why she walks better sometimes than others.

I'm glad the Duramaxx is easier on her little stomach. I will keep praying that she's going to be okay. Thanks to everybody again.

I forgot to mention this: Now, Daisy , Delilah, and me, all have a "questionable" left knee. Daisy was born with a luxated patella.
    Last edited by Daisy and Delilah; 12-30-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling error for drug name

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Ouch! That has gotta hurt! Maybe the pain alone will slow her down for some healing to take effect. Not that I wish her pain! I will pray that she heals with no surgery needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I forgot to mention this: Now, Daisy , Delilah, and me, all have a "questionable" left knee. Daisy was born with a luxated patella.
    So will you 3 be getting matching T shirts? "Questionable Left Knee Club"

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Ouch! That has gotta hurt! Maybe the pain alone will slow her down for some healing to take effect. Not that I wish her pain! I will pray that she heals with no surgery needed.

So will you 3 be getting matching T shirts? "Questionable Left Knee Club"
    That is so funny, Sandie!!! We could really look like a limping group of "older" ladies in our matching T's.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!